What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Evil Dead: BOOK OF THE DEAD" Limited Edition *Special Review* (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I have some concerns about this release, but who am I kidding? I'm going to get this as soon as I can put my grubby little fingers around it.

However I'm going to keep my Elite version. I'm not a fan of the horizontal 'pan n scan' that seems to have taken place in order to produce a 1.85:1 transfer. The framing has always looked fine ont the Elite transfer, so I'm rather worried/skeptical about the new framing.

Oh, and I know it's silly, but somehow I'm going to be just a little disappointed that this Necronomicon won't have the magic little lines "that is not dead which can eternal lie/and with strange eons even death may die". Yes, that isn't in the films, but still....

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Maybe this is yet another attempt by Anchor Bay to sell an improved version in the future.
Of all of the Anchor Bay conspiracy messages I've read -- and yes, I've stumbled upon far too many -- this is certainly among the most outlandish. Anchor Bay would not intentionally create a bad looking disc in the hopes that people would buy a future and more attractive re-release.

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
Ron:
In your review you wrote:
"Opening up the book, we are introduced to the
very pages that make up the BOOK OF THE DEAD, filled
with the ancient incarnations that when read, may
cause terrible things to happen ..."
Don't you mean incantations?
JC

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
1:85 ratio, good enough for original cinema presentation, then good enough for me!

Also although I religiously read and trust DVDFILE's reviews I cannot beleive this release will look worse than the Elite version, which looked like vhs on my system (56" w/screen rear proj.) maybe on a 4:3 set ???

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I have read the earlier post about "Within The Woods" getting pulled from the disc. I still had hopes after seeing a full page ad for the DVD in Fangoria magazine the has that as a feature. I guess I will buying a third version to this film in a few years when the legal issue get worked out and AB puts out another version.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
This looks like an awesome edition of ED to have! Although the $ might be a bit high...I think I'll be adding this to my collection.

Eric.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Of all of the Anchor Bay conspiracy messages I've read -- and yes, I've stumbled upon far too many -- this is certainly among the most outlandish. Anchor Bay would not intentionally create a bad looking disc in the hopes that people would buy a future and more attractive re-release.
It was tounge-in-cheek... don't get your panties in a bunch.

I find it discouraging that the picture quality is worse with this re-release, than with the older versions.

I guess I'll wait for more reviews to decide if I should cancel my order or not.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I'm actually thinking about passing on this one.
The transfer gets top priority in my book, and after reading Ron's review as well as the one over at DVDFile, I might just stick with my Elite edition.
But extras are nice, and once I see the packaging sitting on the store shelf, who knows, I might change my mind! ;)

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Jeff_P: I have read the earlier post about "Within The Woods" getting pulled from the disc. I still had hopes after seeing a full page ad for the DVD in Fangoria magazine the has that as a feature. I guess I will buying a third version to this film in a few years when the legal issue get worked out and AB puts out another version.
According to Anchor Bay, the problems stopping the release of "Within the Woods" will never be able to be resolved. So it will never be able to be included on any studio's release of "The Evil Dead" Thats why they decided to just pull the short film, and not delay the discs. Truelly sad news for us Evil Dead fans.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Mike

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Sweet! I was going to pick this up for sure. Now I'm going to pick up 2 of them. One is going to stay in its original packaging. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
I'm a bit worried with this new aspect ratio. There seems to be a bit of cunfusion with this one. Is it 1.78:1 as reported by DVDFile or 1.85:1? I remember it being shot in full frame. DVDFile says some of the shots look misframed now becuase of the new matteing. Am I the only one worried ?

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Same commentaries and worse picture? I'll definitely be passing on this one. My Elite DVD will do just fine.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I'm a bit worried with this new aspect ratio. There seems to be a bit of cunfusion with this one. Is it 1.78:1 as reported by DVDFile or 1.85:1? I remember it being shot in full frame.
1.78:1 and 1.85:1 are used interchangably by many reviewers. The film was shot full-frame, but composed for 1.66:1, according to The Evil Dead Companion (page 82), a book in which Sam Raimi participated heavily.

david cro

Agent
AGAINST:-...

Inferior picture quality.

Horizontal 'pan n scan'

No 'With In The Woods'

Re-buying Same old 'Extras Features'

Rather costly

FOR:-.......

Nice packaging

CONCLUSION:-

It's a no brainer, thanks but no thanks.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Quote:
---------------
If the look of it isn't awesome enough, you can look forward to the nice
rubbery smell it will give your room (if that is your sort of thing).
--------------
:D-!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
AGAINST:-...
Inferior picture quality.
Just asking... have you actually seen it for yourself? This IS DVDFILE we are talking about... I think in some of their reviews they make stuff up just to look smart (uh, or do I need a bigger monitor... hmmm) :D
I am DEFINATELY picking this one up (in fact I have had it ON ORDER for a couple of months... cmon, this is a MUST for any Evil Dead fan (it's the freakin' Tom Sullivan 'Book of the Dead'... I would buy it for the price WITHOUT the DVD [shhh.... don't tell Anchor Bay that :) ]) It sounds fantastic! And I wouldn't worry about bad picture framing... I believe it was supervised my Mr. Campbell himself.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
And I wouldn't worry about bad picture framing... I believe it was supervised my Mr. Campbell himself.
So an actor who was in the film did the panning and scanning...so? Would the full-frame Willy Wonka be okay if Gene Wilder had done the panning and scanning?
I don't want to attack anyone, here, but seriously, there seems to be quite the double standard -- if you make a film less wide than its OAR, that is wrong, but if you make it less tall than its OAR, well, that's okay.
I can't wait for my special widescreen anamorphic Citizen Kane and Singin' In The Rain DVDs to arrive. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks