What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Escape From New York - Special Edition (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Jason Perez

Second Unit
GregK,

In response to your query:

"A question for you Jason, regarding the audio: Your review, along the DVDfile's, indicate the "5.1 remix" is somewhat conservative in nature. Do you think it's possible that they used a discrete 4.1 mag master that may have been used for the original Dolby Stereo mixdown, and simply coded the 4.1 discrete mix as 5.1? Just curious..."

I cannot answer this with any authority, but it is definitely within the realm of possibility. Now, Kachi (post #19) mentions some really negative comments from yet another review, but I don't think I would go quite that far. The sound is definitely not on par with the video, but it really is not too bad. Although it can be a difficult thing to do, now that so many films have kick-ass soundtracks, you have to consider the source material. Not everything should rock the house like The Two Towers or X-2.

I could be wrong, but I doubt if EFNY will ever have a "reference-quality" soundtrack because of the limitations inherent in its source material. Despite this, the DD 5.1 mix included in the Special Edition is the best (to my ears) that I have ever heard this film sound. Obviously, there are some huge fans of this film (I am one!!!), some of whom may have unrealistic expectations for this upcoming release, and thus judge it too harshly. I really disliked the previous edition, but my bottom line is that I consider this special edition set more than worthy of a place in my collection.

I hope this helps.....

GregK

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply back Jason. ..If it sounds at least as good or better than the previous letterboxed laserdisc, I'll be happy.

On a somewhat unrelated sidenote, many years ago the first pan-n-scan EFNY laserdisc was screwed up and had reversed the stereo audio tracks. Nothing like seeing a helicopter fly off to the right side of the screen, but the audio pans to the left. :D (Of course missing roughly 1/2 of the image didn't help either, but that was the pre-letterboxed LD era.)

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Keith Paynter,

My wallet is getting lighter, but my credit card is getting heavier!
Very funny!!! :D I have the same problem! :frowning: Oh well, as least this has been a great season for those of us who love movies, since so many great DVDs have (or will) come out. All I need is a little more money and a lot more time....

Regards,

Jason

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
It certainly doesn't seem like the brief extras warrant the 2-disc format, or the $29.95 price. I may just wait for this one to be reduced sometime late next year.

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Hey Brandon!

To be sure, the $30 list price is on the high side, but I guess it all depends how much you like a particular film. For me, I would pay $30 for EFNY, since I place a higher value on audio/visual quality over extras, and the special edition trumps the previous release in both areas. Further, the price at B&M stores will probably be closer to $20 during the first week.

Just curious, but why would you be against the two-disc format? More often then not, 2-disc sets are not much more expensive, and theoretically, isloating the movie on one disc should lead to more disc space for audio and visual information.

I envy your patience my friend... if I had some, I would definitely have a lot more money and a few less DVDs! :)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Jason, it just seems to me that MGM is using the extra disc as an excuse to jack up the price. Look at their releases of Mad Max and The Fog, both pretty packed with extras and full frame versions of the films. Those were presented as DVD-14s and retailed for $19.95. With EFNY it looks like the extra $10 is for the comic book!

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Nice review.

Can't wait till the 16th.

Escape from New York is one of my favorite movies. Only Mad Max and The Road Warrior beats it out.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Was surprised to find this out early last night, and I obviously bought a copy. Excellent discs! The transfer was quite an improvement indeed.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Great review. As much as I've wanted to own this title the previous crap releases have kept me waiting...until now that is. Looking forward to the 16th.

Peace Out~:D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Was surprised to find this out early last night, and I obviously bought a copy. Excellent discs! The transfer was quite an improvement indeed.
Justin, how did you get your copy already? I know you cannot mention vendors that sell before street release date on this forum, but I'm confused. Did they push this up a week?

Corey Hall

Agent
I just picked up this DVD also, second Carpenter DVD in a row that broke street date. You can look at my Halloween thread from a few months back, if you can figure out where I got that one, it's the same retailer for EFNY.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Justin, how did you get your copy already? I know you cannot mention vendors that sell before street release date on this forum, but I'm confused. Did they push this up a week?
Nah, just another case of broken street date. My friend pointed it out, as I wasn't expecting it yet.

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Hello everyone!

To those who have managed to obtain the EFNY set early, good detective work! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: somtimes it pays to be nosy! Unfortunately, I don't know of any retailers in my area that break street dates, so I just have to be patient and wait for DVDs that I want :angry: .

Anyway, I am glad you are enjoying the discs, and I hope this review was helpful. I have already watched the movie four times, and am ecstatic to finally have a DVD version of EFNY worth owning!

Regards,

Jason

HankM

Second Unit
I received mine today, I'm gonna check out the deleted opening first. I have to get rid of my bare-bones dvd now along with Alien & Aliens since I got the Quad box now.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on easter eggs? MGM loves to hide stuff on their SE's. Like Dances With Wolves The Fog and Die Another Day come to mind.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I got an advance copy as well. The feature looks and sounds great and the packaging is wonderful-- but the whole thing could have easily been on one disc and cheaper to boot. And MGM's menus (and the menu music) are really lame. What's with the comic book? It's just a reprint of the first issue.

HankM

Second Unit
Seeing the original opening complete with credits is great. I remember owning the special edition laserdisc and the bank robbery scene being pretty short. I have the expanded original soundtrack on cd and love the music that was in the bank robbery.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Got my copy this morning, and although the package doesn't warrant an extra disc (a DVD-14 would've surely been adequate?) it still manages to satisfy. The picture transfer is a lot softer than I was expecting, but everything else about it is top quality. It's got deep blacks, not too much grain, a great compression job and - best of all - barely a trace of any edge halos! Hurrah!

The audio doesn't blow your socks off, but an extensive remix would've ruined the film. The 5.1 track is perfectly adequate, full of subtle details as opposed to OTT subwoofer action.

The comic is a nice touch IMO, as is the inclusion of the full bank robbery sequence, and with the commentaries and the 'making of' it completes a decent package. The other extras are fluff, but this set is still unmissable for EFNY fans.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but this can be ordered at Walmart.com for $9.98 plus $2.98 shipping. They started shipping them yesterday..

I tried to post a link but I haven't reached my 15 posts yet, so you guys will have to find it yourself! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks