What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Dune / Extended Edition (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Given all the problem so many have had with their DVD-18's, I'm waiting for an HD version. Universal BETTER get with the Blu-ray program.

Great review Steve!

dave :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
got this fro netflix today.
they split it to 2 different dvds.

i received disc 2 with the extended cut.
i wanted the other cut too but the dune on thier listing has the pic from the old dvd.

the opening for the long cut is bizarre.
those odd drawingS and the narration is just weird.

tried reading the book the year before the movie came out, but couldnt do it.

could only get through 5-10 pages at a time.
so one night i sat down and read 100 pages without stopping.
my head almost blew off.

anyway gonna check this out in the next few days.
looking forward to seeing, as it says on the opening of the movie.
"A ALAN SMITHEE FILM"

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Great review, Steve. Your song lyrics made me laugh aloud...especially because I know how L-O-N-G Dune can feel if you're not a fan.

In my eyes, the theatrical edit is the superior of the two but the extended cut is certainly worth a look, especially in a pretty nice 2.35:1 16x9 presentation.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Great review. I even found myself enjoying the extended edition, until my DVD died around the 2 hour, 20 minute mark. :angry:

"The tooth! The tooth!"

"Could he be the one!" The Cuisinart Hatrack! ;)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
After having both the first DVD, and the replacement freeze-up I'll wait until Universal either re-releases this on DVD-9's to consumers, and not just Netflix, which I do not use, and/or when they release it in HD.

Otherwise, it simply isn’t worth all the time and effort it takes to continue exchanging it only to have it keep freezing up on me well into the film! :angry:

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
The extended cut is definitely more faithful to the book, but it still cannot compete with the Sci-fi miniseries in that regard.

Both Lynch versions share the flaw of expanding the first third of the story to half of the movie. This is especially bad because not all of the characters from Caladan are as likeable as they should be (Leto and Duncan, I'm looking at you). The opening narration is much better with Irulan, so I will watch the theatrical cut from now on if I want to see Lynch's Dune.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
This disc was a very welcome addition to my collection. I had not seen the theatrical version since its release in 1984, but had occasionally caught the extended cut on TV in the intervening years.

Great fun to finally see the heart plugs and "Squood" again (those squishable rodent things, according to a making-of book I read ages ago)--these elements are cut on TV. Both Lynchian, not Herbertian, touches, IIRC.

Dune remains a cult item in the truest sense of the word. With some people (my girlfriend included), all you have to do is say, "For how can this be?" and you'll inevitably hear: "For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!"

Other favorite lines: "Kill this child, it's an abomination!" "Get out of my mind!" and "For the father...nothing!" What can I say, I dig Sian Phillips.

A good film? Not really, but oddly unforgettable, with unimpeachably great casting and production design. The complexity of the story just gets beyond Lynch's skill at adaptation.

--Jefferson Morris

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by BrandonHar:
This is especially bad because not all of the characters from Caladan are as likeable as they should be (Leto and Duncan, I'm looking at you)

Hey! Duncan Idaho is my favorite character! :frowning:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Hear hear. As a visual interpretation of the book I've always thought it was excellent. The problem really is that the book is just waaaay too much to condense into a 2, or even 3, hour movie. Hence, the mini-series tells the story better, but I wish it could have been done with the sets and cast of the Lynch movie.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
By far the greatest part in Dune is when Paul is riding the Sandworm for the first time and this totally 80's guitar whammy comes in out of nowhere--you expect Paul to start flashing devil horns, screeching "OH YEEEEEEEEEEEAH!" and commence headbanging. God I love this movie :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Related to that point I have to say that the soundtrack/score to DUNE is one of the things that I love most about the movie.

The Prophesy theme (Brian Eno) and the score (Toto) are haunting. Chani's theme is my personal favorite.

I have this soundtrack on LP, import CD (from the LP master) and the newer extended CD soundtrack (which drops some of the effects and harp strings so I actually don't like listening to it as much).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Agreed. I seemed to have misplaced my copy (plain old CD) a while back, and couldn't find a replacement anywhere here. Fortunately I found one when on holiday in Australia.

I think I'll get my iPod out now and have a listen :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks