What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Deep Impact - Special Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Martin_T

Stunt Coordinator
A enjoyable movie that I have not seen since it first came out on VHS years ago.

With the cheap price at CC next week it looks like I will finally get a chance to watch it in Widescreen, the way it was meant to be seen! :D

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Thanks for the review Scott. Too bad no DTS, I really liked this movie so I suppose 10.00 is worth the price for an anamorphic edition with some new extras. I am just wondering, is this the same transfer then (which was fine actually) as the last edition?

You can always tell when Spielberg is involved (this time as an executive producer (executive in this case but still I think this has alot of input from him, you can tell by the amount of "heart" the film has.

Morgan Freeman's job, in my opinion, was awesome..too bad they rarely nominate anyone in a sci-fi film, though he has had other excellent roles.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

What?! You didn't see Day after Tomorrow? :)

I had hoped this was an extended cut; as the movie is quite enjoyable for those that like the genre, and the score was quite well done; though not nearly as aggressive as Armageddon.

It's nice to see the price drops on these thoough; it appears that another much awaited re-do with Tom Cruise and some airplanes is also nicely priced! Ditto for the SE of Shawshank. Makes me cringe when I think what I paid for them when they first appeared, but the current strategy at least makes double-dipping some of these titles something to consider.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
I have quite a few complaints about this film. One, the score. There was a theme from Titanic that didn't make it onto the soundtrack and it just so happens that Horner makes it the main love theme for this movie. Two, Elijah Wood and his girlfriend in the movie are awful. Three, the space sequences. The suits are just plain horrible and the space ship is extremely fake. But I did like some things in the film. Morgan Freeman was fantastic, Tea Leoni was great. I love the story surround Tea Leoni. Anyway, I thought the film was alright. I don't think you can really compare this with Armageddon because this one tries to be serious, where as Armageddon has a lot more fun with itself... Plus I like the score by Harry Gregson-Williams better.

Clayton

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Looks like Homestar has a great present for Strong Bad this Decemberween!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Interesting how one can react differently to actors. I thought the two young leads were fine, but one of the reasons I watch this movie is the hammy, terrible acting of Leoni. I believe this was her first major dramatic role and it shows, at least for me. I do believe she has grown as an actress in later movies.

I have another problem that always bothers me. The name for the spaceship that represents the last hope for the entire world, "Messiah." Wouldn't that be offensive to a large part of the world? Or am I just assuming it's a christian reference. You'd think you'd want to choose something more universal.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
A decent effort, but compared to others of it's ilk it looks like a tv movie that somehow wandered off into cinemas, with a few last minute ILM CG effects giving it some much needed spectacle.

Armageddon, for all it's absurdities, was a lot more fun.:)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Haven't seen this one yet, but I'm curious. For what it's worth. . .

Hated Armageddon.

Liked Dante's Peak a lot.

Hated Volcano.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Aaron if you hated Armageddon you'll love Deep Impact.:)

Dantes Peak, a decent effort, but compared to others of it's ilk it looks like a tv movie that somehow wandered off into cinemas, with a few last minutes of CGI destruction giving it some much needed spectacle.

Volcano, for all it's absurdities, was a lot more fun.

:D

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

Have never seen DI, so am now expecting to LOVE it! :)

The thing I hated about Armageddon is its total lack of commitment to even basic science...I'm told DI is a little more reasonable. I'm not expecting a lot, just a tiny bit of effort by the creators, it's not like I expect to learn anything...

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed several sites are now showing this DVD as unavailable and Amazon has even removed it from their site all together!?!? Anyone have any idea what's going on?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
untouchables shows up like that too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...187739-6558248

the may be having some trouble.
the link i just saw for,...
"Get Rocky & Bullwinkle: Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD now, exclusively at Amazon.com."
takes me to...
"Looking for Something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site.
Please double-check the URL for typos and other errors. Or go to the Amazon.com home page."

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
'...TV Movie that wandered into a Cinema...'
LOL!

at $9-10 bucks not too shabby a disc...

TedD

Supporting Actor
Another victim of the 20 lbs in a 10 lb bag syndrome.

Check this post to see examples of what happens to image quality when a studio loads too many extra features and audio tracks on a DVD:

http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php...rder=0&thold=0

Look at the lack of fine detail in the weave of the glove on the NTSC version in the second set of comparison shots.

Ignore the reviewers comments about the bit rate, as he is obviously quoting total bit rate, rather than the bit rate allocated to the video image.

Ted

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Did you mean to put this elsewhere? The link leads to a comparison of the R1 and R2 versions of The Day After Tomorrow.

M.

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, DI is number one but Arm, was still great in its own right. When are we going to het an anamorphic Arm???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks