What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Dances With Wolves" Special Ed. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Joshua, I know it's sorta picky, but that's why I like my 5-changer. Oh well, I guess after two hours, It's time for more popcorn or a bathroom break. Still, I'm tempted to go with the two disc DTS. Great review Ron, as usual.

rhett

Supporting Actor
This is a fantastic film, and I don't care what anyone says...it deserved BP over GoodFellas.

I will definitely be snatching this film up. Fantastic review Ron. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kyle
This is the only movie that my state can brag about. I will be picking this up for sure!

and no, Fargo is in North Dakota... :D

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I agree with Joshua_Y above. They should've made it a 3-disc set. A DVD-18 flipper is just not that attractive. Gotta have some artwork on those silly things, ya know?

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Lo those many years ago back in November of 1990 when I first trekked out to my local multi-plex on a mild Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving) to see "Dances With Wolves"...

I recall seeing the trailer that summer. If the trailer on this disc is the same trailer that we saw back then, then I will be glad to have it as it was on of my all-time faves (it had a scene with Costner holding up a rifle against the sunset, as I recall).

As a fan of westerns, I knew that I had to see this movie. When I saw it, I knew I had to see it again.

I saw "Dances With Wolves" twice that weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed it both times. The music by John Barry and the photography by Dean Semler is just wonderful.

The film played at one of our multi-plexes for nearly 5 months. I took my girlfriend, who is now my fiance, to see it in February of 1991. Even after a third viewing, I loved the film.

This new set sounds terrific. I own the previous version and while it is okay, I really am happy to have the additional footage in this release. I recall the version with the deleted footage first available when the movie appeared on Network TV.

This film was Costner during his glory years. He'd come off of an impressive string of movies with "No Way Out", "The Untouchables", "Bull Durham", and "Field of Dreams"... (we'll forget about "Revenge" for now) ;)

Costner isn't a terrific actor, or necessarily even a good actor, but he does these laid-back "Aww shucks" kind of roles really well. This was a project that Costner put his heart and soul into, and it shows. He used his own money to get the film made. Quite a contrast to 1995's "Waterworld" (which, at the time, was one of the most expensive movies ever made).

The Academy Awards in 1991 was one of my absolute favorite broadcasts. I was so happy the movie won Best Picture. It is an incredibly beautiful and likable piece of dramatic filmmaking.

In some respects, that period of time was sort of a renaissance for the western (although, this film is so much more than the typical laconic western). In 1988 we had "Young Guns"...in 1989 we had the wonderful mini-series "Lonesome Dove" (which is one of the best things ever made for television IMHO)...and in 1991 we had the really quite good "Young Guns II."

I feel that the success of "Dances" led to films like "Unforgiven", "Tombstone", "Wyatt Earp" (duh), and "Legends of the Fall."

In the last 10 years or so, Westerns have mostly fallen off of everybody's radar. We have had attempts ("American Outlaws" and "Texas Rangers"), but in many cases it seems as if the western is being relegated to cable networks like TNT.

I would encourage people to pick up this set. The Image disc was pretty nice and I have enjoyed watching it over the years, but I am glad to have one that includes the bonus material that this new set does.

We live in a world of CGI storytelling. It is wonderful to see a film that doesn't depend upon the technologies at hand and can tell an enriching and enthralling tale of the pioneering sensibilities that led to the development of the western United States.

"Dances With Wolves" recalls an era of film that has long since road off into the sunset.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Sorry for the 2X post...

I also agree that both versions of the film work very well; however, the one scene in the extended version I could do without is the introduction of the soldiers at the fort *before* Costner arrives. I like the fact that the fort is ghostly and abandoned when he shows up.

Cheers,

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I do recall that the extended version showed the soldiers leaving...sort of took the mystery out of things when Dunbar arrived.

I also recall one scene where they visit a Lakota burial ground...

I could live with this version if it were merely the theatrical cut, but I am sure that there were those who wanted the bonus footage.

In the case of this film I feel the theatrical cut was near perfection.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
It would have been better for the set to have included both versions like "Cinema Paradiso - The New Version", or use branching if needed.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
DTS would have been the topper but still, gotta get it.

(I knew there was a reason not to get a carousel... but for those who are worried... buy two copies of this then...:) )

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is a beautifully produced disc set.

For those who may be put off by the amount of time required for viewing, I should make one important point.

There are a reasonable number of films which have been cut to shorter lengths -- and for any number of reasons, inclusive of bus schedules.

Sam Goldwyn was once asked how long a film should be. He replied "As long as its good."

The point here is that when a very good film is cut and loses story points and cohesiveness, it seems longer than the uncut version.

This is the case with DwW.

The shorter version feels as though something may be missing. The punctuation is not quite complete.

The longer version, at nearly four hours is a much shorter and more enjoyable viewing experience.

RAH

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Since I like (for the most part) the Extended Cut better (still have the LD), I'm really disappointed there was no DTS track on this edition.

I may have to rent it first and do some audio comparisons. I have the two disc DTS set of the theatrical cut, but may see it relegated to gathering dust. The full bitrate DTS track was quite good and really helped the music score. A real shame.

Was that a typo, or is this DVD edition somewhat shorter than the extended cut LD?

Dan

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'll be getting this movie, but I must say, how's the carpeting at your house? Looks kind of uncomfortable to sleep on.

:)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
You cannot get much better than a recommendation from Robert Harris. If I hadn't already been planning to get this disc, I'd definitely be getting it now.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm still confused on this Directors Cut stuff. Didn't Costner prefer the shorter version? After all, the short version is the one that won Best Picture.

I might have to get it just to have the extended version but I need to have the original as well.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I also agree that both versions of the film work very well; however, the one scene in the extended version I could do without is the introduction of the soldiers at the fort *before* Costner arrives. I like the fact that the fort is ghostly and abandoned when he shows up.
Shades of Aliens!

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Jonny P,

You just about took the words right out of my mouth. That's the same experience I had, being blown away the first time I saw it and then taking my Dad to see it that same weekend and enjoying it just as much as the first time. I bought the regular laserdisc, then the Extended Edition, and then the DTS DVD. Needless to say, as soon as I saw the Extended Edition was going to be released on DVD it was pre-ordered.

I think both versions stand well on their own, but the one thing that I think the Extended Edition makes much more clear is Dunbar's indecision about where to be the night when the Sioux celebrate killing the buffalo hunters.
In the theatrical release, you don't really understand why he sleeps off on his own. I do really like the scenes they add with Dunbar and Kicking Bird interacting and developing their friendship. You didn't get the sense of how deep their friendship went until the end of the theatrical cut. There needed to be more scenes of their interaction to explain beforehand how much Dances with Wolves leaving would hurt Kicking Bird.

Lonesome Dove IS the best thing ever produced for television. This is my absolute favorite book (and I don't read westerns), and the conversion to the screen was just wonderful. Robert Duval's best role (and his favorite). When I first saw commercials for the mini-series, I thought Kenny Rogers was playing Call (white beard threw me), and felt like doing an Elvis to the TV. Luckily, it was Tommmy Lee Jones, and he was wonderful as well ("I can't stand rudeness in a man. I won't tolerate it.")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks