What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Collateral (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus

Actually this doesn't bother me as much. I like for the movie to be concluded by the time the credits roll. I hate having my questions unanswered when it's over. But if there are some things left open that hint the possibility for a sequel then that's cool.

Kiet_H

Stunt Coordinator
LaMarcus:

From what I got of the film, Maxx's limo business was nothing more than his lies to his mom and his passengers. He 's been driving the cad for 12 years and yet he's been telling his mom that he's driving famouse clients around in his limo business. Its just one of those lies that if you tell it enough you start to believe it..

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I bought this movie sight unseen. And glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The picture looked gorgeous on my 92" screen via SDI/720P output. One of the better looking dvd's I have seen in awhile. As for the audio, The DTS track rocked. I thought the gunshots sounded so realistic in this movie. This is how gunshots should sound in action movies. Impactful and dynamic right in your chest kind of feel. They were great !

My only complaint would be the ending too. I felt Vincent left himself open on the train for Max to kill him like he did. If Vincent had to die at the end, I wish Mann would have gone a different direction on this .

Overall, a keeper and one that I will be playing for repeated viewings.

Recommended! :emoji_thumbsup:

Troy

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay

Same here. I saw it in the theatre (few people walked out around the 2nd act). However, the audio was amazing, I will check it out again on DVD.

Good performances by Crusie and Fox, though nothing extraordinary.

I would still recommend a rental mainly due to Mann's directorial artistry.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Kiet_H, I can buy that, but he also sold me on the idea that he actaully was trying to get one started. And it would have been a nice little extra to see him driving one by the the time the credits rolled.

Troy my feeling was that he left himself open like that because he didn't believe that Max had the skill to accomplish what he did. Especially with what Vicent said "Max, I do this for a living". He didn't think Max could do it.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The only problem I have with the ending is that Foxx has been using his brains the entire film and then in the end, he turns into another standard action hero. There's no way in hell this guy could take out a real killer so I think Foxx should have died at the end or Foxx out smart Cruise in some fashion. I can't remember the quote from Cruise but before he's shot he says something like "I'm the pro" or whatever. Yes, he was and it just a cliche thing that the bad guy got it in the end.

As for the audio, perhaps I was a bit too harsh but I was expecting something a bit fuller. I thought the track stayed in the front way more than it should have but if it was close to how it was in the theater then I'd certainly take my comments back.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Definitley would have made the movie gritter based on part of Elliot's spoiler above Foxx should have died

This would resonate a stronger chord with the audience IMO.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

I thought the image and sound were very good. Not a reference-quality release, visually, but still looked very, very nice. Those night shots with available light really blew my mind. Amazing!

Some very solid direction by Mann and acting by everyone involved. Come to think of it, I thought I was watching a Brian de Palma film in the last act. Some nice suspense there...

Happy Holidays,

David Galindo

Screenwriter
a laptop computer in perfect condition lying open after a huge car rollover *AND* with the picture of the next victim onscreen, right-side-up in an overturned car. I must say, I laughed quite a bit there...

Thats wasnt a laptop,
it was the monitor in the taxi, which was made to be handled quite ruggedly and would likely survive better than a laptop.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Yeah, David, but come on! ;)

It would be interesting if...

...this whole scenario is a delusional fantasy in Foxx's mind...

...but then we get into David Lynch-Mulholland Drive territory!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Y'all know we do have a nice discussion thread where spoiler text isn't necessary in the Movie area...

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Just got done watching this DVD. I must say it was one of the best movies I have in some time and I wasnt expecting that. The pacing was excellent, a solid script, and great acting. I had heard a lot of talk about Jamie Foxx's acting in this film. Normally I wouldnt consider him to be such a great actor soley based on the type of roles he had in the past. I didnt see the Ray Charles movie (not really my kind of subject matter) but after watching Collateral I feel he deserves at least Best Supporting Actor. Early in the movie his handling of the situation seemed very real. I would recommend this to just about anyone.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
The DTS track dropped out three times when I watched this tonight (the amplifier didn't detect a loss of signal though). When I played the problematic scenes again they were fine.

I'm using a Denon DVD-2900 player which has performed perfectly for the last 2 months. Anybody else experienced a problem?

John

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
Nice review, thanks.

I really enjoyed the film (and music). I thought Tom Cruise was excellent. Must be the only time I've seen him in something (except Magnolia) in the last 10 years where he's not made me feel sick.

Ending was a bit 'Die Hard 3' but I still loved the film because it was quite intelligent and it made me remember Mann's Violent Streets (AKA Thief).

Great director. Top DVD.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
John, I have a Denon 2900 and I noticed one drop out in Collateral and I Robot. I was listening in DTS. I did not listen to the problem spots again and returned the movies to Netflix. I have a Yamaha receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks