DVD Review HTF Review: Brokeback Mountain

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sam Posten, Apr 2, 2006.

Tags:
  1. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

Tony, that's true. Sam are you there?

2. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Sorry in advance to keep harping on this.

My copy of the Brokeback DVD has a cover which is very different than what is shown here, and online everywhere. My DVD has no border at all, or Oscar information at the top.

I originally wondered whether I had gotten a bootleg (since I bought it 2 weeks early).

I have now traveled to 3 big stores today, and they have mountains of copies of Brokeback Mountain DVDs, and all of them look like mine.

I haven't seen a single copy with the cover shown in this review.

3. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    And as you pointed out, it did receive it's due. But the reviewer is only obligated to be honest with himself, not "toe the line". Not singling you out at all Randall, but the only group to approach the Serenity "Browncoats" this year in insufferable film fan behavior are the BbM nuts [​IMG] I've even seen insinuations that those who don't call BbM the best (and most important) film of the year have some deep-seated bigotry blinding them to it's greatness (again, not here at HTF, but around).

Crash won the Oscar, and I know plenty of people who are quick to criticize it. The best film I have seen in years was a 2006 release, and it barely got any attention from the critics, media, or filmgoers. Most members who've seen it rate it quite high though. It's OK. Sam gave his very valid opinion on the film. I like the film more than him. I've seen films praised as highly as BbM that I can't stand.

The wonder of individual opinion,
    Chuck

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

What was it?

5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    The New World [​IMG]

It got one Oscar nom, very little attention, and made little money. But somehow, it still does quite well on the HTF Top Ten of 2005, because most who saw it rank it very high (not all, not everyone liked it). That's OK. No need to browbeat anyone [​IMG]

I still had BbM in my top 5. It's a great film. Great, not good, and I'll defend the film happily. But the idea that everyone must love it or praise it sets off the hackles on the back of my neck. To say any more would edge into verboten territory (and not in the way anyone would guess), so I gladly leave it at that. It's OK that Sam merely liked it and found it a 4/5 in plot. I would go 4.5/5 myself, but vive le difference [​IMG]

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Ah. . .The New World got a lot of advance hype long before it came out (I heard that they had to re-shoot the sex scene because the actress was underage when it was originally filmed :b ), but seemed to come and go with nary a peep. Surprising, considering the star power of Colin Farrell and the Malick mystique.

True dat!

7. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

I will be purchasing this DVD this week for sure. thanks for the review. One area I think this or any future review of a drama would benefit from is the erasure of the "action" section. It seems odd to, in some way rate or judge, a film based on the amount of action it has in it. I am not sure I would even judge an action film based on a category entitled "action". Just a thought.

8. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Dee... I wouldn't worry too much about cover art for the reviews. These are not scans of what we receive as screeners. They are merely pics of covers (from a sponsor's website) that Ron downloads as window dressing for the reviews. Quite often these covers change, however, the sites don't change or upgrade the scan. Happens rather frequently.

9. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I wasn't really worried about it, Herb, but thanks for your sincere words.

Sometimes, mistakes are made on products, and the product with the mistake becomes valuable, because it's rare.

I buy DVDs to watch them, but I'm also a collector, and I'm on the lookout for unusual problems with disks. Sometimes, those mistakes can be a blessing.

It does turn out to be true that the Brokeback DVD has been issued with a bunch of different covers. So far, I can't ascertain whether there are actual differences on the disks, or not.

And I do think these were rushed into production. There probably will be a different edition, soon enough.

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Chuck, I have to agree with you once again on all counts. This is getting annoying [​IMG].

--
    H

11. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    How do you think I feel about it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I too would expect a deluxe edition of Brokeback Mountain later this year.

12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    My review copy box looks like the one posted at the top.

As for my plot rating of 4 out of 5, this is my honest assessment. It's honestly a very simple story told quite artistically, and artfully. I havent seen all of the other 2005 Best picture nominees yet (in fact I bought Crash, Capote and Good Night today), but BM didnt feel like a home run in the plot department to ME personally. Its a solid film with a lot going for it, but I dont consider it an all-time classic. I dont want to say it is over-hyped, as that isnt fair to what it has accomplished, but I do feel the success it has earned surprised EVERYONE involved with its production. Kudos to them, and I hope they truly enjoy the rewards of that success.

Sam

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    well it was a surprise to randy quaid.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This is not a plot-driven film, it's a character-driven film, an emotion-driven film, (ironic,
    considering how bottled up Ennis was for most of his adult life until the feelings of regret allows him to release a lot of that bottled-up, pent-up emotion, albeit, too little, too late.)

My copy had the border around the photo/artwork, and the WS or FS version was written on the bottom side of the border around the photo/artwork.

15. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

You can see some of the covers here, click on dvd covers and then "B" and find Brokeback Mountain. Personally, I like the Danish cover !

http://www.cdcovers.cc/covers.php

16. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Well, I picked up the DVD and the (free) screenplay at Best Buy this evening.

You don't want to hear my opinion of the movie.

The DVD, however, was nice. I thought the PQ and SQ were fine for a movie that did not feature exploding helicopters or dinosaur stampedes. To me, the best supplement is the book--and the price on that was right.

Thanks for the review, Sam.

- Steve

17. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I agree. It's definitely the classiest "freebie" I've received with a DVD purchase. It's nice to have its literary source as a complement to the movie. [​IMG]

On the subject of supplements... I've lately grown tired of most extras on movies. It seems every release is over-hyped with -- and almost drowned by -- its bonus material. Many times the movie itself seems to be the bonus material -- becoming lost in the "happy meal" marketing mentality of the industry.

I'm sure others would have preferred BbM to be a fully-loaded special edition, or hope that one will be eventually released.

For me, this is a movie that I feel works better on DVD with a "less-is-more" presentation. It's such a personal film that doesn't really need the typical "behind-the-scenes" analysis. The story, and its characters, tell me everything I want to know about the movie.

However, I would be curious to see what Criterion would do with the film -- if they were allowed to release a special edition. They would be the only ones I'd trust to do it right -- if it had to be done. I probably still wouldn't be interested. It's one of those few films I feel is perfect "as is" -- and hope no further tampering is ever done to it.

18. Chris Minogue

Chris Minogue Stunt Coordinator

I would really, really, like a commentary though.

IMHO that should come standard on any DVD release. (I'm a commentary junkie.)

19. Dion C

Dion C Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to take a moment -- from a HTF member who doesn't post often -- to express my appreciation (and admiration) to Sam for the politeness, patience, and simple class with which he receives the comments and critiques re: his critique of BbM. Very dignified.

From the impression I got from your review, Sam, I think I probably enjoyed the film more than you, though we both seem to appreciate a lot of the same components -- the cinematography and acting both really struck a chord with me.

I was never bored by the film; I found it compelling in its theme as well as its intentionally langorous pace. I thought the performances of both Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams were stunning.

I look forward to watching it again on DVD. However, I'll be waiting for the deluxe edition, hopefully in high-def to fully appreciate its gorgeous photography.

Again, thanks for a forthright and helpful review, Sam. Good luck with your future reviews. :)

20. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

Patrick, you might find this definition of "plot" interesting: The sequence of events in a play, differs from the "story," which encompasses earlier events (multi-plot stories).

Sam, I find it truly puzzling that some persons miss the tragedy in this story. The portrayal of unique tragic circumstances as a "plot" in Brokeback Mountain certainly deserves a 5/5 rating. Moreover, I find reading "Thoroughly Recommended" and "Highly Recommend" with regard to other lesser films disturbing. This is especially significant since you give no such recommendation to a film "most" people regard as the actual Best Picture of 2005.