What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Brokeback Mountain (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Brpkeback Mountain should be viewed with an open mind and heart, otherwise you will be lost. It is not a film for casual viewing.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Except for the bilingual text. If I'm not mistaken, the French title is "Memories of Brokeback Mountain?"

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Thanks for the review. I saw nothing wrong with it, so as being your first review, I can't understand why some are so harsh, it takes a little time to get into it. I found all the information I wanted to know about the dvd stated clearly. I was asked to submit myself (by one of the other reviewers) as the new Paramount reviewer several months ago. I decided against it. It's not that I can't take criticism, but I felt there were too many members who were too tech for me and I thought someone else might be better for reviews for those people.

Brokeback Mountain is a great film. I saw it the weekend it previewed., I happen to be in San Francisco on the first preview weekend. The audience applauded and gave it a 5 minute standing ovation. The line to get in (it played in downtown San Francisco) was so long it went 3 blocks. Luckily the friend I went to visit was able to get tickets 3 weeks before the preview. I loved the movie. Matt, you are 100% correct when you say it deals with regret, that's, to me, the main theme, and also love between two people, whoever they may be (woman, man, men,ect). It seemed to me the Academy didn't show their guts this year for best picture, instead Crash (in my opinion) was SO much like so many movies, and I didn't like it.

Brokeback Mountain did something that no other film has done to date. It was a gay love story that went mainstream at a time when our government is coming down on the gay community, and using the gay community to get votes, and I give the makers of the film a big pat on the back for that, for showing that ALL people can fall in love, and that what people do with their own lives should not be up for criticism.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Just because he didn't like it as much as some? I don't really read anything in the review that is actually negative either - just a bit of questioning whether it's the best way to present a subject to a public that is generally closed minded. And either way he is entitled to his opinion. Some might have more of an issue with him LIKING Doom! :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sam's shown himself to be quite open to constructive criticism of his reviews. Feel free to let him know if you think there's some way for him to improve his work. However, comments like "he is getting off on the wrong foot" with no further explanation don't add anything to the discussion.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I think the review was fine. If you want to read a four star review of the film then they're all over the internet. Roger Ebert posted a very good one. A review is for the reviewer to give his personal opinion and I think people should respect his honesty, which is something hard to find in any reviews today. A lot of reviewers, even if they hated the film, wouldn't say so because they'd want to "fit in" with what other people said. It would be rather pointless for him to post a review that wasn't from his heart so a big :emoji_thumbsup: for the honesty.

As for the film, I personally loved it and will be picking up the DVD tomorrow. It's a shame the film turned so political because I think this kept a lot of people away from seeing it. It became a running joke on late night television, which is a shame because it's a beautiful film about love. Not gay love, not straight love but just love in general. People talk about the two cowboys but I think the real heart of emotion of the film lies with the relationship the two men have with their wives. The stuff between Ledger and Williams is among some of the most realistic and heartbreaking stuff this side of someone like Bergman.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
And keep in mind, we are DVD REVIEWERS not film critics (per se), or even social critics. This title, by its very subject matter, invites societal comments, and Sam did a good job balancing this in his review. Such social commentary and deeper analysis of the movie's subject matter belongs in the movie discussion thread elswhere on the forum.

While I believe it is important to comment on the movie, I personally prefer to spend more time on the picture and sound quality and the extras of the DVD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

It's too bad that this thread is getting wildly off-topic, but it is true that I did offer my comments above as sugggestions for Sam because of his request for same in his King Kong review thread.

I really do wish him well. As Matt suggests, us HTFers are a discerning lot. As much as I like to write, I would find the task of taking on regular reviews as daunting and time-consuming...and, I don't have the high-end equipment needed to do the task right. :frowning: (Damn it! :D )

DeeF

Screenwriter
I love the movie, and I got my disk early, and I'm just trying to find out if what I bought might be a bootleg (which wouldn't make me happy).

I don't think the video quality is all that great, and yes, I can see edge enhancement where I don't want to.

I'll be happy to get this in High-Def, sometime next year, on Showtime or HBO.

And yes, the special features seem quite minimal. Another version is undoubtedly on the way.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
deeF your copy shou;d look like the pic in the review.

btw who said, "He is getting off on the wrong foot with this review of this exceptional film."

i wish the quote button put the name of the origional poster in it too.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
There are 2 covers floating around. I purchased one that did not have the silver border and Oscar wording, but it is a genunine Universal released DVD. The place I bought it from does not buy bootlegs and it had the factory seal along top of it.

I really do not think Universal anticipated the impact this film was going to have and created this DVD long before it was released in theatres. My guess is either they or Criterion will release a SPECIAL EDITION sometime later this year.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I hope the following will be taken as constructive criticism ;): I am not very big on spliting the review into categories such as "plot", "action factor" and the like. The "action factor" category especially needs to go, as it's very presence suggests that a high score in this category is a desirable goal, which is obviously not true.

Overall, the idea that the hopefully cohesive experience of a film can be so squarely split into such discrete, apparently unrelated bits just doesn't jive with my perceptions.

My (hopefully constructive) opinions. Please don't hate me, I still wanna be invited to the meet if it happens :D.

About the movie, I found it brilliant and well deserving of MOST of the accolades -- some people think it changed the world, keep dreaming...

--
H

MattHR

Screenwriter
That would be my guess, too. It was originally announced for an earlier release. The new cover probably reflects the additional inventory manufactured after the release date was postponed, and awards received.

I personally prefer the cover without the silver border and award propaganda. The film is better served by a more subdued cover. The cover with the silver border looks like part of the Star Trek SE line. :thumbsdown: If they must insist on a border, I think one of leather-like or denim appearance would be more appropriate -- but what do I know.

I hope to be able to find the originally announced cover in the stores tomorrow -- but I won't drive around looking for it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hey, if some forum participants feel I'm getting off on the wrong foot, thats GREAT. There are plenty of film critics I think have absolutely bogus tastes, and some I mostly agree with and very few I agree with religiously. If we all agreed all the time the world would be a very boring place. As long as we keep it civil and attack the opinions and not each other, its all good.

It would probably be an interesting litmus test to list a bunch of movies and a simple 'loved it/eh it was ok/hated it' scale to see how your tastes rank up with any given reviewer, but so far as I know there isnt any such clearing house =)

What we DO promise here at HTF is to offer a relatively consistant scale of opinions on audio and video quality (and to a lesser degree the amount and quality of the extras), and our thoughts on the film itself will be a lot more subjective. So for the most part if you wildly disagree with our opinions on the presentation thats pretty interesting, but if you disagree with our thoughts on the film itself, well maybe we'll agree next time =)

LEts twist this around just a little, since I'm kind of an unknown opinion here at HTF: If I could pick one film to liken my thoughts on BM with, it would probably be Mystic River. I wasnt a big fan of that film but I liked the art direction and tone and look of what they were going for. Lots of parallels between these two films for me. Am I totally out of line here? Did a lot of you love both or find one vastly more to your liking than the other? Or are they so different as to be irrelevant to compare?

Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Holadem, I cant drink the Milwaukees Best any more due to my weight loss surgery, but I doubt there is any criticism you could fling my way that would stop me from joining ya at any future NY/NJ HTF get togethers. Any of you who are interested in seeing Scooterpalooza resurrected or helping me form an alternative party in June head on over to the local meet forum!

Sam

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
PLOT: 4/5? "It won 60 other awards and was nominated for a further 41." I'm curious why you didn't give the film plot 5/5. Furthermore, I feel the film deserves a "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" too. Any movie, garnering such attention and acclaim, that is adapted from material written by a Pulitzer Prize winner should be given its full due.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
randall you just highly recommended it.
not all the reviewers use that, they just put review in the title of the topic.

the 4/5 or any other * out of 5 is the reviewers opinion anyway.

might not agree that it should have garnered so many awards.

who knows. only posten.

i'm sure he'll let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks