What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Below" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I got mine at BB, but had to ask for help finding it.

Why BB can't put all the new releases on one rack where they'll be easy to find is totally beyond me. I couldn't find I Spy either, and it was a major release!

This happens to me over and over at BB--not being able to find a new release because it's buried with all the older titles and usually in the wrong category.

In any case, I thoroughly enjoyed Below.
The part where they go first enter a part of the sub no other submarine movie has shown had me really freaked. A truly well done "ghost story."

Transfer and pq were really excellent throughout, the dark grainy scenes were only the flashbacks and intended to be that way. There are lots of closeups of faces that really looked incredibly good. I've seen films on HBO HD, like Gladiator, that didn't look this good.

I also enjoyed the commentary with Twohy and various cast members all pitching in and obviously all there watching together. So many commentaries that include several different people are obviously edited together from individual recordings, this is not one of them. Had some pretty amusing moments and a running gag about a certain cast member who wasn't there for the commentary.

It's also the first movie I've seen that had a credit for the yo-yo instructor!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Got mine at Wal-Mart which had lots of copies. Any in mid-town? :)

Longshot maybe, but how about Kmart? 770 Broadway or 250 West 34th.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I went to Best Buy, they had it but it was 22.99, wasn't even it the new release section.

Reluctantly I went to Walmart. Man that place smells! I was really disgusted on how they take care of that place. Anyway I did get Below there for 19.99.

Watched the first 15 minutes. (so far very cool) But I have to wait and watch the rest tomorrow night.

Looking forward to it. The sound and picture are awesome so far.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Great little flick! The ending was a bit of a let down but overall a well done thriller.

Will K

Screenwriter
Wow, what a pleasant surprise! Dimension did a really good job of not letting anyone know about this movie and Halloween: Resurrection played on how many screens? Tense, exciting, well-written and performed all the way, not to mention a crisp and fantastic looking DVD. Seriously attractive lead, too(no, I'm not referring to Bruce Greenwood).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I didn't even know you reviewed it Ron. I made a lame comment in the Ghost Ship thread about it.

I made a blind buy out of it (Twohy and Aronofsky and haunted subs), and I am glad I did. I had a fun time watching it. It's a shame that Dimension dumped this and Equilibrium, two of the better films I saw from 2002. But no accounting for taste ;)

I haven't watched the extra stuff yet, but I plan to.

Good review, and I am glad you liked it. Make sure you check out Equilibrium when you get the copy, Ron :D

Take care,
Chuck

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Watched the rest of it last night. This was definately a movie that should have done sooo much better in the theaters. I'm not saying it should win the Academy award for best picture, but overall I liked it.

Picture and Audio quality were better than I expected. Atmosphere was superb, acting was great, story was good.

Really the only thing I would complain about is the ending. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better.

Overall I'm glad I made this purchase and would recommend it to anyone who like a good horror flick.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Quite a good movie they have here. It seems so bizarre that they would bury it like they did. It has capable actors who do a lot with the film, excellent set design, great tension, excellent atmosphere, some nice technical detail with regards to submarine, as well as a nice resolution (if a bit cliche).

A really good film and quite the disc if you can find it (my local Wal Mart had several on the Tuesday I got it.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
I overall liked it - Good photography, good acting, good sound, good effects.

Story line/plot was kinda lame tho - had it more or less figured in the first little bit... Nice, however, that they managed suspense without all the gore - I imagine that their test audiences musta been teenagers expecting another Resident Evil...

Blu

Screenwriter
I thought this movie played out like a Twilight Zone episode!
I really enjoyed it!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Very good film, well worth my blind purchase. :emoji_thumbsup:

I just about wet myself during the "Loomis looks in the mirror" scene. :D

Dimension should be ashamed of how they treated this film. This is one of the best films to have their stamp on it in a very long time.

In fact, I think I'm gonna go update my "Top 10 of 2002" list. :)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Yea, there were some definate "scares" in this movie. Jenna, the one you were talkin about got the goose-bumps going!

I think the whole claustiphopic feel of this movie is what made it work.

I think I'll watch it again this weekend:)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This is one tough DVD to find and so was this thread.

For some reason the title, Below is not recognized by the search function.

Secondly, at CC it's on back order. My usual Hollywood Video, not stocking it for rent or purchase and BlockBuster only has PnS. Finally, Best Buy comes through and with only 2 copies on the shelf. Looking forward to watching it this weekend.

Peace Out~:D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
check your blockbuster again. there doesnt appear to have been a pan and scan version of this movie made. mine is corp and we alsways get the p scan if avaiable. this one we have wide.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, I saw this on my own in the dark on Saturday, and I nearly lost it - this is one seriously scary film. I too bought it just off the sound of Twohy does a Submarine film, and its worth every penny. The end was slightly predictable, but its the journey there that gets you.

And the sound mix - well, its everything that U-571 should have been; immersive rather than just loud, and would make the sub feel claustrophobic even if you had your eyes closed...

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
A real sleeper of a movie! Well-crafted entertainment. My last blind buy was 'The Ring' (what a disappointment). 'Below' shows how to do scary the right way. Glad to see it's finding a wider audience on DVD.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
check your blockbuster again. there doesnt appear to have been a pan and scan version of this movie made. mine is corp and we alsways get the p scan if avaiable. this one we have wide.
You are correct. I called and was told all they carried was the PnS version by the employee. I called a different shop and was told the opposite. I never did go.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched this little gem! Loved it. Maybe the people at Dimension were put off by actually having to put a little thought into it while watching the movie! The 'mirror scene' just brought a big smile to my face, the way good movies do for me.
BTW, the clerk at H&*^%wood Video insisted that the movie was not even released yet when I called them last Friday! Sheesh. Had to buy it and don't regret it at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks