What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Batman Begins - Two Disc Deluxe Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
If you pick your copy of the Deluxe Edition up at Best Buy, it has an exclusive holographic cover that is VERY nice. ONLY at Best Buy.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Just came back from best buy with my copy, the delux set wtih comic and cook holographic cover, Land of the Dead uncut, Saw Uncut and the Batman serials.

Will grab the older batman films later. Begins blows them away ;)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sam's Club also had this since they're owned by Walmart. The episodes were "The Rubber Face of" something and "The Clay Face of" something. Don't really remember.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Thanks for the great review, Herb!

I picked this up today along with a couple of other gems, but this was the first one I popped in as I LOVED this film in theaters.

Herb's judgment of the picture and sound quality are on target. Both are outstanding.

The only complaint I have is with the extras on disc 2. Not with the presentation -- you can simply go to the last page and get a menu which lets you select everything, and also I kind of like picking my way through the comic presentation and seeing what I can discover. What I want to know is WHY, oh WHY, were the featurettes presented in NON-ANAMORPHIC widescreen? If you're going to bother with showing the film segments 2.35 letterboxed, and the interview and behind-the-scenes stuff 1.85 letterboxed, then why not go the extra step and make it proper anamorphic so we don't all have to fiddle with our TV's settings?

Also, the datafile-type extras (like on Batman's weapons and equipment, allies, enemies and such) all seem like they were done in anamorphic WS (the proportions of the characters and items and whatnot all look correct to me). So why not the featurettes too? Rrrrgh, it's annoying.

Regardless, a GREAT damned film and a GREAT damned presentation. Outstanding. I'll be watching this one many more times.

cheers,
Phil

Jordan_Rebner

Auditioning
Am I crazy or did Futureshop.ca remove this from their site? I was going to order it today (I had just recieved a $5 coupon for them) and clicked on the link that was in the top selling and "this item can not be found" and I've looked through their site and there is absolutely no mention of the 2 disc set anymore?

Did anyone pre-order from futureshop.ca and get it? I'm confused - It looks as though I'm going to have to actually go to the store, which means no movie for me until the weekend :frowning:

Checking Bestbuy.ca now and they too have taken it off of there website... what's going on???

ToddJ

Second Unit
I am sorry if I missed it, but what comes with the DVD at Wal-Mart? and what size is the lithograph at Circuit City? is it worth getting there?

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Great movie and a great transfer. The audio is very good, but the picture is just really great. They did an outstanding job on this DVD!

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I blind bought this as well. Loved the movie, but hated how you had to navigate through the special features. Yes I did see them all listed on the final page. This movie was so great that I don't think I'll be picking up the others. I only liked two out of four anyway and they pale in comparison.

H

Hank

I also watched this one for the first time last night. Amazing movie, I bought the movie only edition, I was gonna get Batman & Batman Forever remasters but after watching Begins I can wait.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Isn't this film amazing?

I think many of us have felt a little cheated
over the years regarding the Batman sequels (though
I am probably the only person on this forum that
enjoyed Batman & Robin).

It's quite startling that a Batman film could be
this incredibly good. I think it has surprised
everyone that has seen it. I saw it theatrically
and was just mesmerized throughout.

I have had the DVD on my desk for the past week and
I hope that today is the day I can finally sit down
and watch it. So happy to read the transfer meets
or exceeds expectations.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
After watching the movie for the first time last night I doubt I could watch those 80's-90's movies now. It was THAT good. I know I'll be seeing the sequel on opening night.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The Post clearly has an "expert" on it. Screaming for "fill the TV" and EE "polishing".

I enjoyed a large chunk of Disc 2 last night. As a film, comic, and Batman fan...I feel very fortunate they gathered the team they did for this film. It really paid off. I hope they can maintain the focus and quality for two more.

The mini-docs are not bad. I'd have preferred a feature-length, but it's still good material. I'll finish it tonight.

Take care,
Chuck

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

How can a guy that reviews movies and/or DVDs not know about OAR. I could see if it were the local Pennysaver, but the Washington Post? It's just embarrassing. Someone needs to educate this guy.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
The doc on the evolution of Batman through the ages was good but they went on so much about Frank Miller and yet they didn't get him. Heck M. Night Shyamalan got him for the second disc "History of Comic Books" for the Unbreakable dvd. (which was a killer documentary if you haven't seen it, the early Vista Series dvd's had some great special features.)

I haven't had a chance to watch the DVD yet, but I saw the film twice in the theaters, the only other film I saw more than that in the last 5 years was National Treasure (which I loved) I'm still a little bummed about the lack of commentary, I would've loved to get Chris Nolan's comments during the film maybe with David Goyer and Christian Bale giving input too. Oh well maybe there'll be another release down the road (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD may have this stuff on it I guess)

I did get a chance to see the Warner Bros. Logo before I decided it was a little too late to watch the movie and it looked nice on my Powerbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks