What's new

HTF REVIEW: Austin Powers "Goldmember" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Groovy review baby!! Yeah!:D
I'm all over this one!
Mini-Me: [writes] Are you a clone of an angel?
Foxxy Cleopatra: Ohhh how sweet, but no I'm not.
Mini-Me: [writes] Are you sure you don't have a little clone in you?
Foxxy Cleopatra: Yes I'm sure.
Mini-Me: [writes] Would you like to?
Goldmember: Can I paint his yoo-hoo gold? It's kind of my thing...
Dr. Evil: How about no, you crazy Dutch bastard!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I think it worked because the movie was so damn short to begin with.

It would be great if the first two were re-transferred with all of them getting awesome DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 remixes, and the first Austin Powers flick framed at the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Dan

RobertDragon

Auditioning
Actually the dvd is already available in NYC at multiple DVD stores, and no its not a bootleg or anything. It is the full retail version. I picked one up 2 days ago for $25.

alan-g

Auditioning
Hi Ron,

you mention English subtitles on your header. I read another review which said it contains only english closed captions. Can you please shed some light on what is the true situation as I use the subtitles

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ok just watched this one.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The disc looks spectacular, your jaw will drop when you view the color palette.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't agree more, OMG OMG OMG, AMAZING, I really couldn't believe my eyes (kept rubbing them) unbelievable!

I thought the 2nd wasn't as good as the first BUT. I loved this one. The 3rd one is much funnier, not as much as a rehash as the second one.

I laughed throughout and TOTALLY loved the opening sequence (of course my eyes couldn't believe what I was seeing as the colors were unfreaken believable). I think they should do a real AustinPussy it would be great! Mr. Cruise is a perfect Austin!

I didn't really like the villain Goldmember he was stupid.

Great film I'll watch it again. And I finally understand what all the hubub is about Infinifilm! I had no idea you had to watch the movie with it enabled to see all the extras! I'll have to throw in my Rush Hour 2 dvd again, as I only watched the extras that were in the menus!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Goldmember is the best non-direct-digital
transfer on DVD to date both in video and audio
quality. The transfer is absolutely so pristine
that I can't think of one thing negative to say
about it.
Wow. That's saying a lot.

I was a big fan of the first two, but mixed reviews kept me from seeing this in the theater, so I will definitely be renting via Netflix.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I had this in my hands earlier today but I put it back on the shelf and afetr reading your review, I am glad that I did. Thanks for the in depth analysis.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Actually the dvd is already available in NYC at multiple DVD stores...I picked one up 2 days ago for $25.
I paid $14.77 at BestBuy today (actual release date). I would have hated to pay more: while it WAS a funny movie, it was not THE best one. The first chapter was the best. Luckily, no one had spoiled the cameos which were totally unexpected and fresh.

I agree with Ron that the "Goldmember" character was very boring/unfunny/gross to watch. There wasn't one good scene featuring him. That skin-eating thing was just too creepy for words.

Overall though, Dr. Evil, Mini-me and Scott's hairline make it a worthwhile purchase.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Wasn't this supposed to have a gold case? I could have swore I saw a pic of that. I thought gold would be widescreen, and blue would be p&s. But both versions have the blue case.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
From Ron's Review....
The DVD, on the other hand, absolutely exceeded
all my expectations. I have to sit here and wonder
how New Line was able to fit all this material on
one disc (including commentary, fact track, branching
and DVD-ROM content) and still produce the sharpest,
most colorful transfer of any DVD in recent memory.
How, how how is what I need to ask. There are SOOOOO many GOOD extras yet the transfer is AMAZING! And 6.1 DTS and 5.1 DD. outstanding!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What I need to ask is that if you guys agree
with me that this is one outstanding transfer?

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
New Line puts all this energy on this release and still omits one of the most important features, English Subtitles.

I wish the Infinity line will soon disappear or that New Line would one day realize their mistake and start supporting it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
You know I laughed almost as hard at this one as the 2nd. Althought it recycles alot of Joke Dr. Evil and Meyers non stop Energy just knocks me out. Sure alot of Poo and Pee Jokes but it works. Picture quality is outstanding although for a comedy I Still Pefer 1:85 Framing, but the 2:35 serves the increased action a bit better. This and MIBII disk definately comes as nice surprises, movies I expected to be dissapointed with that I really liked. Nothing Like Sharks with Fricking Lasers on their Heads !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks