DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Annie: Special Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Osadciw, Jan 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

another studio who should know better.

there seems to be a very real lack of common sense going on with regard to this DVD. in the [earlier] days of dvd, it would have been absurd to think columbia would have even contemplated something so painfully, mind numbingly, bone headed as this. but it's happened. WHY ? they used to care a whole lot more about all of their output. maybe there weren't extras, but we got to see the film in one piece (granted, when they got the framing right). now it seems to be on a case by case basis. and a special edition with only P&S as an option ? i've heard it all now.

and there seems to be a misprint on the cover. they've put the word "special". i can think of a few choice words that might have been a better fit.

columbia tristar ? i think not. for this dvd, columbia onestar!

2. JeremyLG

JeremyLG Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy
    No sale here either. Would have been nice in OAR and a better transfer. Too bad.

Jeremy G.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    You'll have to have the actual disc in hand to tell. Put it in a computer; the VOB date of the corrected version should read January 2001.

4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Supporting Actor

Phew. I was looking forward to getting this, too! I guess I'll try and track down the 2.35:1 disc, or pass this over completely and only get Disney's remake (which is properly 1.33:1, as it was a TV movie.) Shame though since I really want both versions.

5. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

I didn't even bother requesting this title. I won't be writing about it--and the Star Tribune has a weekly family-video column, too.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Anyone have an extra copy of the "corrected" OAR version they'd like to sell/trade to me? I was one of those folks who bought the mis-framed and kept emailing columbia asking if/when they'd correct it and NEVER got a response.

-dave

7. Ben Phillips

Ben Phillips Stunt Coordinator

I truly wonder what's going on at Columbia. They still put out some worthy releases on occasion, but too much of the time they insult us with releases like this one. I have to say that from the full screen transfer, to the "special" features, to even the cover art itself, this release is rancid in almost every possible way. Count me in as yet another member of the obviously sizable group that would have been happy to purchase this title in widescreen, but has absolutely no interest whatsoever in a full screen release. Columbia: what the hell are you thinking?

8. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

that this is VHS [​IMG] if not for TV products, Columbia would be getting NONE of my money, it's a shame, oh well

9. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

Shouldn't the two have different serial numbers as well? Just curious.

10. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

One has to ask from a business standpoint, why would Columbia go through the expense of re-mastering the misframed version, and then take it off the market?

11. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Pass.....

12. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

To me the Dolby Digital track sounds better than the DTS. I compare it to "The Rock" criterieon dvd dd vs dts. I bought it for the music. I have it on laserdisc and I can now just sync up the two and have the video from the laser and audio from the dvd.

13. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Columbia just lost another sale.

14. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

I just watched pan and scan version on Showtime last weekend with my wife. There was a scene where Annie and Warbucks were in the pool and at the end of the scene the camera shows an overhead view of them in the water....there heads are missing from the frame. I told my wife "Wow that's a good scene to promote widescreen cause had this been widescreen you would see their heads".

No purchase from me after watching the pan and scan.

15. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Sad. My daughter loves this movie, but I won't be buying it until it is release in WS.

16. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    I was planning on getting this for my wife, who loves this movie...but not now. She was disappointed, not in me but in the studio. You disappointed my wife! NOW IT'S PERSONAL.

NO SALE.

17. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

So how many of these HAVE they sold??

18. RyanPC

RyanPC Stunt Coordinator

When I first heard this was coming out, I was overjoyed because it meant I could replace my old DVD with Special Edition. When I saw it was going to be in pan and scan, I thought it was a typo. Now that I see it is not, I will not be picking up this disc, no matter how curious I am about what Quinn looks like today. The old one had some problems with it (some weird panning in the frame, almost like pan and scan), but it IS in widescreen, which problems or not is better than pan and scan any day. Since I don't have a very good audio setup, the audio isn't near as important to me as the picture quality, and the old DVD is pretty good in that department. It lacks any good features, but it's good enough for me!

Damn you, Columbia! Another spoiled release! [​IMG]

19. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

5.1 DTS Pan/Scan...

[​IMG] [​IMG]