What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Anchorman (Unrated, Uncut & Uncalled For) (1 Viewer)

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that bit of news Jeff.

I will say though that I'm glad that Dreamsworks decided to change the Alarm Clock storyline because I also didn't find it funny. Just the one scene with Fantana screaming "PANDA WATCH" and saying "Ching...King" had more laughs than all of the Alarm Clock stuff.

I think the only good thing that was lost in the Alarm Clock story line was the "Rip The Lid Off Of It" deleted scene from the main disc. That was pretty darn funny.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, I definitely have to agree with you on that one, Jonathan… the "Rip The Lid Off Of It" segment was hysterical!

I forgot to mention: although I hate the idea that studios listen to the audience at research screenings, and filmmakers should make the films THEY want to make, I definitely think the new Panda storyline is much better than "The Alarm Clock Gang," and makes for a better overall film.

Then again, we never saw the full original cut of the film… we only saw the DVD Wake Up representation, which is obviously not the same as seeing the actual film with "The Alarm Clock Gang" footage present. But again, from what Paula saw of it (portions only, not the entire original cut), she said it was just too much on the somber side, and didn't really seem "funny enough" to work alongside the remainder of the film.

Oh well, even though they changed the film, I'm still glad they decided to release the remainder of the deleted/altered footage the way they did (what can I say, I'm a bit biased… I just wanted to see the rest of the footage Paula was in, since a bunch of it was cut from the theatrical version, and now I can since much (but certainly not all) of it is now in the "alternative movie."

Fun, fun, fun… Hmmm, now that Anchorman's done with, I wonder what subject Will Ferrell will be tackling next?

mike caronia

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Jeff & Paula!
I can't get enough 'Ron Burgundy'!
This will definitely be a cult film humoring fans for a long time.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think I can get tired of this film. I've watched it 3 times since I've got it and I could probably go watch it again right now.

Thank you Dreamworks for this gift set that has as much deleted material that I have ever seen on a release. Now I have so many favorite moments that I would have never seen otherwise:

"RIP THE LID OFF OF IT"
"I'm gonna pull my wiener out"
"Why don't we adopt a kid and move to Vermont"
"What are you? One of those Lesbenians?"

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Just watched Wake Up, what Jeff explained about the changes occurred to me while watching the film (BTW Jeff, thanks for that explanation). While I didn't mind the Alarm Clock story - I hated how the film was set up. Pretending like this film was a sequel was a mistake, and while some of the narration was funny, often times it was too obvious and drew attention to itself. Crap like; "Veronica had just arrived from the Airport" when it was obvious it was her intro to the news room. I think the whole film would have done better if they just presented us with the original cut of the film; or at least a true alternate version.

At any rate, Kudos to DreamWorks for releasing it (although this really could have been a two disc set) and I'm glad I was able to see it all in some form. But where the hell is my day planner!!!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Just ran off to Best Buy in Austin and they had roughly 20 of the Anchorman/Wake Up Ron Burgundy/Best Buy Bonus Disc packs available. They were inside an Anchorman stand, they were not shelved.

The "Wake Up Ron Burgundy" disc did not have the insert everyone here is talking about. :angry:

But I got the bonus disc. :D

By the by, I was on the fence about buying this (same thing with Dodgeball, which I haven't picked up yet) -- but this statement by Michael sealed the deal:

two say the F word was much as possible and they even talk about screwing a moose. The two are constantly joking about this track being banned and it is in a way. The track is full of bleeps that cut out some of the dirty talk including one segment where the director claims he gave oral sex to a famous person of some sports team. The team is bleeped out but it appears to be a joke aimed at O.J. Simpson.

SOLD!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I went to Best Buy today out of curiosity, and possibly thinking of purchasing the set for someone and taking the bonus disc. ;) Well, it wouldn't have worked: they didn't have ANY bonus discs. I looked at the rated version, the unrated FS, the unrated WS, the two-pack...they didn't have any bonus discs packaged with them. I asked at the counter if they had them, and they said the copies they received did not have them. :angry:

Meanwhile, hundreds of Seinfeld bonus discs were available for $3.99.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
My favorite quotes from Wake Up Ron Burgendy:

"I'd like to take Mother Nature out to a sleazy motel...and do things to her you can only do in Bangkok."

"I hate you San Diego...you bunch of whale's vaginas!"

Hah, man, those are priceless!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Okay, just watched the movie.

I should have listened to Michael Elliott.

Anybody wanna buy some bonus discs?

BrianJau

Agent
The weirdest thing has happened. My "Wake Up, Ron Burgundy" disc, which had been working fine, has suddenly decided to stop working. When I put it in, it plays the Dreamworks logo, and then won't go the main menu. By fiddling around with the "menu" button, I eventually got the menu screen to come up, and then the movie won't play.

What makes this doubly irritating is that this is the bonus disc, so now I have to replace it and hope that Best Buy still has copies of the double pack. And I feel like I have to replace the whole thing, even though my regular Anchorman unrated disc plays fine. I don't think the store will refund me WURB individually.

Has anyone else had problems with the WURB disc?

GoldenLOC

Auditioning
Hello, GoldenLOC here. I was searching for a Forum that has to do with the Anchorman DVD And I found just the one here. So, That outta the way, I just wanna say that I proudly Broke my new years resolution By buying the DVD on the first day of 2005. Now, I am eagerly waiting to get the 2-pak and sell the one I have. Since I have no hope of getting the BB Bonus disk (Found out too late), Would anyone care to Provide me with a Blow-by-blow Summery of what's on the disk. That is IF that's not too much trouble. Well, I have to go now but Before I go, I want to say....STAY CLASSY YA'LL!!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
blow by blow of what disc? the wake up or the best buy bonus dvd?

the best buy is just a dvd wit about 30 minutes of adittional outtakes or deleted scenes.

the wake up is another seperate movie using other deleted scenes and outtakes. and it goes into a completely differentplot from the legend of ron movie.

GoldenLOC

Auditioning
The Best buy bonus disk. I'm gonna get the 2-pak from Circuit city since dat's closer to my house. I meant what are the titles of the deleted scenes and if you can, please provide a summury of them all. NEWS TEAM!!!!

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
Rented this from Netflix and gave it a viewing last night. All I can say is.....terrible.

I usually enjoy stupid, dumb humor fims but I didn't laugh once during this garbage.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
One man's trash is another man's treasure Aaron :)

Similar to how most people hated The Village and I loved it or how The Royal Tenenbaums was critically acclaimed, but it is my least favorite film ever. It is amazing how people differ on certain films. Sad to hear you didn't like it. I still think it's the funniest movie to come out since Goldmember.

GoldenLOC

Auditioning
I agree with john (Is it ok to call you that?)! I think it's REALLY funny (I think I ate your chocolate squirell). I also want to know what's on the Best buy disk (Say "Garbage" and die...just kidding! Everyone's entittled to their own opinion.) I mean like a full of good description of the deleted scenes on there. Like for instance:

The bear fight alturnate version: In this version, The bears get the best of 'em and baxter doesn't show up and so the bears have a nice meal and baxter comes WAAAY too late.

^_^ That's just an example! But if it's too much trouble, just make it simple or don't do it at all:frowning: ...

Anyway, Before I go, I wanted to ask ya'll DIS: What's yo favorite characters and you're MOST Favorite character?
Mine are: Well, all Four of 'em and Frank vitchard. The #1 fav. character is........The legendary lead anchor RON BURGUNDY.....DUH!!! So, What do YOUUUUU t'ink??? So long and STAY CLASSY!!!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
"Great Odin's Raven!"
I loved this film....loved it. Steve Carell is quickly building himself a reputation for stealing movies from comedy stars, first he did it in Bruce Almighty & now...well he didn't quite steal it from Will Ferrell but lord he was a riot....Love Lamp!...love...lamp...:D

How can you not love a film with such classic Shakespearian dramatic dialog such as...."San Diego...in german it means Whale Vagina...";)

GoldenLOC

Auditioning
YAYYYY!!! I finally got the anchorman 2-pak. Wake up ron burgundy was SWEEEET! Especiailly the part where they want to eat Brian. An' if you look carefully Behind Ron when he's like "Hush little baby, don't you cry, Mama's gonna buy you...a back of your calf." You'll see a 7-eleven, a burger king, and a 76 gas station. Wow, how were they able to show three licensed resturunts at the same time? Anyway, yeah. Now, the bonus disk will complete the collection!:) Oooh yeah. SO...just wanted to spread the good news.... An' this is me leavin' sayin'....STAY CLASSY!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks