What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: A Nightmare on Elm Street - Infinifilm Edition (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
2_ _ [b]

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So are there any plans to do the other Nightmare films or 3 and New Nightmare in particular?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Great review Matt, cant wait to recieve my copy.Is it true that some of the deleted scenes, are viewable only when watching the film with the infinifilm option on ?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm picking this up as I never did get around to buying the boxset. That said, I'm sure there well be an updated boxset released next year with all the films remastered and uncut ;)

Nice review as always, it's been a while since I've watched this one. Even though I already planned on picking this up, I;m now more eager than ever. Between Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1&2 SE and this one, it's a pretty good month for horror.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I mentioned that I'm still hunting down the Elite LD, but from what I've read...no this is not the uncut version. It's the same version previously released on DVD.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thanks Matt, thats a shame about the deleted scenes.Now im going to have to watch with the infinifilm option just to see those.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Picked mine up last night. I might have to make a night of going through the entire set on Saturday. Contrary to what it sounds like in the other thread, I'd welcome two disc sets for all the other films in the series...or at the very least new versions with loads of behind the scenes goodness.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I saw some screen caps on DVD TALK that purport to be from this new release, and it appears that the color timing is significantly changed from the prior release... what you referred to as "accurate blue lighting (almost reminiscent of Halloween)". The prior release certainly had a more natural color scheme, and as you note the new one appears to be cooler and bluer. It seemed to be quite a big difference between the two.

I know nothing about the intended look for the film, and only wonder how you know that the cool, blue timing is "accurate"?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I just saw over at the region 2 site play.com that on december 25 there will be an hd dvd version of nightmare on elm street .I assume region 1 will get it around the same time.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I saw this in theaters recently (my local theater had a showing for some odd reason). Needless to say, it didn't hold up for me that well as it was too unintentionally funny. I was really looking forward to buying the DVD, but then the viewing kind of put me back on the fence. However, I trust Matt, and this looks like a good DVD to have.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Damn shame 90 percent of the LaserDisc supplement weren't ported over yet AGAIN.

The Elite laser was supervised by the Director of Photography and it looks close to the previous DVD. I'd say this new transfer definitely isn't how it's meant to look. Some shots are too bright, others too dark. It was like someone was trying to make it look like a slick and polished new horror film, which is a huge mistake.

I'll stick to the previous releases when I get the hankering to watch the film.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

I saw in theaters recently too. It was a national release for a couple of nights to promote the new DVD. And while I didn't find it unintentionally funny, many others must have because there was a lot of laughter (especially during the mother's scenes) for some reason. I still think it holds up big time. I'm surprised I actually had the willpower to leave this one of the shelf today. I'm sure I'll pick it up sometime if an HD release isn't that imminent.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I regret using the word "accurate" but I still recommend the transfer. I don't find the color changes as blasphemous as those made in Halloween, but YMMV.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Also getting reports of major omissions in the effects tracks - on both the DTS and mono tracks. Discussion starts here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=190

[EDIT: my link only brings up the first post - much more discussion follows. Go here for the thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....7&page=8&pp=25

If anyone wishes to see some comparisons of the vastly different color timing between this release and the last, go here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=139

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I can see the color timing being intentionally manipulated to "modernize" the look but why would they purposefully omit sound effects? Or did they just screw the pooch...?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Got to admit, i dont like it when they screw around with a movies original look, but this look great ! Love those blues in the screenshots, it kind of makes the movie have the look of 2002s the ring.Cant wait to recieve my infinifilm copy next week !

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That shot of Nancy in the sleep lab isn't indicative of the whole transfer, BTW. That's just the scene with the biggest difference.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Man, not porting the LaserDisc extras, the transfer being off AND the missing sound effects. They really screwed this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks