DVD Review HTF REVIEW: A Nightmare on Elm Street - Infinifilm Edition (Recommended)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Stone, Sep 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    So are there any plans to do the other Nightmare films or 3 and New Nightmare in particular?

3. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Great review Matt, cant wait to recieve my copy.Is it true that some of the deleted scenes, are viewable only when watching the film with the infinifilm option on ?

4. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Another quick question:

Is this the "uncut" version from the Elite LD, showing Tina's death uncensored?

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I'm picking this up as I never did get around to buying the boxset. That said, I'm sure there well be an updated boxset released next year with all the films remastered and uncut [​IMG]

Nice review as always, it's been a while since I've watched this one. Even though I already planned on picking this up, I;m now more eager than ever. Between Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1&2 SE and this one, it's a pretty good month for horror.

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I mentioned that I'm still hunting down the Elite LD, but from what I've read...no this is not the uncut version. It's the same version previously released on DVD.

7. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Thanks Matt, thats a shame about the deleted scenes.Now im going to have to watch with the infinifilm option just to see those.

8. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Picked mine up last night. I might have to make a night of going through the entire set on Saturday. Contrary to what it sounds like in the other thread, I'd welcome two disc sets for all the other films in the series...or at the very least new versions with loads of behind the scenes goodness.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I saw some screen caps on DVD TALK that purport to be from this new release, and it appears that the color timing is significantly changed from the prior release... what you referred to as "accurate blue lighting (almost reminiscent of Halloween)". The prior release certainly had a more natural color scheme, and as you note the new one appears to be cooler and bluer. It seemed to be quite a big difference between the two.

I know nothing about the intended look for the film, and only wonder how you know that the cool, blue timing is "accurate"?

10. Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry Second Unit

[​IMG]

11. Xenia Stathakopoulou

I just saw over at the region 2 site play.com, that on december 25 there will be an hd dvd version of nightmare on elm street .I assume region 1 will get it around the same time.

12. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I saw this in theaters recently (my local theater had a showing for some odd reason). Needless to say, it didn't hold up for me that well as it was too unintentionally funny. I was really looking forward to buying the DVD, but then the viewing kind of put me back on the fence. However, I trust Matt, and this looks like a good DVD to have.

13. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Damn shame 90 percent of the LaserDisc supplement weren't ported over yet AGAIN.

The Elite laser was supervised by the Director of Photography and it looks close to the previous DVD. I'd say this new transfer definitely isn't how it's meant to look. Some shots are too bright, others too dark. It was like someone was trying to make it look like a slick and polished new horror film, which is a huge mistake.

I'll stick to the previous releases when I get the hankering to watch the film.

14. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

I saw in theaters recently too. It was a national release for a couple of nights to promote the new DVD. And while I didn't find it unintentionally funny, many others must have because there was a lot of laughter (especially during the mother's scenes) for some reason. I still think it holds up big time. I'm surprised I actually had the willpower to leave this one of the shelf today. I'm sure I'll pick it up sometime if an HD release isn't that imminent.

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I regret using the word "accurate" but I still recommend the transfer. I don't find the color changes as blasphemous as those made in Halloween, but YMMV.

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Also getting reports of major omissions in the effects tracks - on both the DTS and mono tracks. Discussion starts here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=190

[EDIT: my link only brings up the first post - much more discussion follows. Go here for the thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....7&page=8&pp=25

If anyone wishes to see some comparisons of the vastly different color timing between this release and the last, go here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=139

17. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Wow, I can see the color timing being intentionally manipulated to "modernize" the look but why would they purposefully omit sound effects? Or did they just screw the pooch...?

18. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Got to admit, i dont like it when they screw around with a movies original look, but this look great ! Love those blues in the screenshots, it kind of makes the movie have the look of 2002s the ring.Cant wait to recieve my infinifilm copy next week !

19. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

That shot of Nancy in the sleep lab isn't indicative of the whole transfer, BTW. That's just the scene with the biggest difference.

20. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Man, not porting the LaserDisc extras, the transfer being off AND the missing sound effects. They really screwed this up.