What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" (1 Viewer)

Rob Granger

Auditioning
Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I though A.I. was, without a doubt, one of the BEST movies of 2001 and I'm really looking forward to the DVD.

A number of people, including Ron, have made mention that the ending was a little too "happy Spielberg" and not enough Kubrick. Personally, I think the last scene is just as dark as the rest of the film.

I found the last scene where Teddy climbs up on the bed reaching for David chilling -- David, consumed with his own quest to be loved, abandoned the one "thing" that seemed to love him, even moreso than his "mother."

Just my .02!

Cheers,

Rob

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Rob Grainger - That is chilling! I never thought of that before. And I completely agree with you regarding the ending. A.I. was one of my favorites of 2001. It was THE favorite until I saw Lord of the Rings.
My reaction to the DVD release...YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!
I would be extremely happy just to have the movie...and we get all those extras too!
But (you knew this was coming) there is just one thing I feel is missing. I can't really say I'm disappointed, because, again, I'm just glad the movie is coming out...but wouldn't it be nice to have the whole internet marketing campaign outlined on this DVD? "The Beast," as it's been called (the internet puzzle solving game/novel), was an integral part of the TV spots and trailers. There were even game clues in the final credits. The story line also makes the world of A.I. a little bigger by sharing more of Martin Swinton's story. Also, this was a ground breaking new internet experience. One that many other movies have tried to duplicate but just fell short.
I'm hoping that it's hidden on the discs somewhere...some kind of easter egg. That would make sense given the nature of "The Beast." It would also be a whole new level of fun. Although I'm not a proponent of DVD easter eggs, the whole game was all about easter eggs...digging in and finding all the little details that open up whole new worlds.
Of course it may be all tied up in legal issues. A couple months ago the writer turned the whole thing into a novel but couldn't get it published because of legal problems. Even though he was commissioned by one of the studios (I'm not sure if it was WB or DW) to do the whole thing. I think it's still being held up. He did work with Microsoft through the whole thing...maybe they are claiming ownership of some part if it.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I agree, the issues of cloning, AI, mother-child and child-mother love, the concepts of man's technological creations moving beyond man, and others in the film are very interesting and worthy of exploration. I just think AI did an abysmal job of taking these subjects on.
I completely agree. And if I had known beforehand that the film was just a futuristic fairy tale, I probably would have enjoyed it much more. They should have called it Pinocch-I/O. :)
And BTW, I have no problem saying that Say Anything is a much better film than A.I.. Of course, that's just my opinion, so don't be too alarmed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree, the issues of cloning, AI, mother-child and child-mother love, the concepts of man's technological creations moving beyond man, and others in the film are very interesting and worthy of exploration. I just think AI did an abysmal job of taking these subjects on.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
others in the film are very interesting and worthy of exploration. I just think AI did an abysmal job of taking these subjects on.
SK and SS presented a story based on these issues. Its up to YOU to think about them...all the material is there (like in all Kubrick films), its just not spelled out for you.

wally

Second Unit
Yes Joe, it is a:
futuristic fairy tale
Pinocch-I/O That's a good one!
And Patrick, you don't have to shout! I enjoy sci-fi, in fact it may be my favorite genre. I also like thinking about and debating films, but as Tom Ryan put it in an earlier thread on this topic, "It didn't quite compel me to thought"
IMHO, AI is a sappy/corny futuristic fairy tale (Holographic Dr. Know with a Robin Williams voice-over etc, etc, etc.)
The cool thing is that this sounds like a great release for those who are into this movie. Enjoy! The rest of us can hope that AI will be remade in 10 years sticking closer to the original SK treatment. :)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
The cool thing is that this sounds like a great release for those who are into this movie. Enjoy! The rest of us can hope that AI will be remade in 10 years sticking closer to the original SK treatment.
Wally, I share your criticisms about the 'Spielbergization" of SK's concept. (See my earlier posts about Dr Know in particular) But to write off SK's concept just because he didn't get to direct it is short-changing the master. After all, underlying the whole film, is still SK's concepts....something that we SK fans have been wating for for a LONG time.

wally

Second Unit
I may have to get this release, after others, and re-watch it. I would equate my disappointment with the first time I saw Independence Day. I went into the theater expecting a serious Sci-Fi title and was frustrated with the tongue-in-cheek nature. After repeated screenings though, I now really enjoy ID4.

Love your sig files by the way. One of my fondest movie memories is seeing the first run 2001 as a kid at the CineramaDome in Hollywood!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sam:
aimenu1.jpg

aimenu2.jpg

aimenu3.jpg

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
I can't understand why one movie genre is more important than the other, I have always hated this. I love all genres, I don't think people should compare A.I. to Say Anything. One is a Sci-Fi and one is a comedy(a great,Cameron Crowe comedy). But why should one be more important than the other. If someone said that Bring it On is better than Saving Private Ryan(I know that is touchy)You would say they were crazy,I know I would. But they wouldn't be. I am a very big fan of sappy comedies, and drama, and fantasy films, musicals, sci-fi, and what ever else. But you shouldn't compare apples to oranges. A.I. is a better sci-fi movie, and Say Anything is a better comedy. And if someone likes comedy better than sci-fi than that's ok. I like them all the same.

P.S. that Peter Gabriel song is not sappy. Peter Gabriel was a Lyrical genius, at least when he was with Genesis.

Derek

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I understand your meaning about comparing apples and oranges. I didn't mean to compare films at all.

IMO, AI is an enduring film. Say Anything (to me) is lost in the plethora of goofy teen 80's films that I can watch on any Saturday afternoon on cable, Again, this is all my OPINION.

Cameron Crowe? Well, thats debateable whether you think he is a great filmmaker or not. Whether you like Speilberg or not, I'd say he has earmarked himself into film history. Jerry McGuire, Almost Famous -- good films but...

Peter Gabriel - I agree with you. That's why I don't really like anything after his first solo album. And SO is when he really sold out.

Again, OPINION.

BTW, I'm sure there are many Fox titles sitting on the shelf to make room for Say Anything. But this is already off topic.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This is one of those titles that ZI have struggled with as far as decising whether I sould get it or not. I am yet to see the film but I find that on more occasions than not, when it comes to a dividng movie like this, I seem to like them more often than not.

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
I can see your point, and I agree that A.I. is the better of the two, in fact it is a masterpiece in my opinion. I do like some of the stuff on So, but it really isn't Gabriel to me, his first album really captured that early sound(like trespass) and that is why it is so great,but that's more of a music discussion.

Derek

Joel C

Screenwriter
The menus on the first disc are animated, with animated transitions that are brief but effective.

As Ron said, on disc 2, the main menus are animated, and the transitions are as well, but sub-menus are static. They are all pretty elegant.

I love this disc. On second viewing, this may have passed Moulin Rouge as my favorite of 2001. I always love the polarizing ones, I guess.

My only complaints witht he DVD are the lack of material about Evan Chan et al, more on the Kubrick draft (though it is covered), and the TV spots, some of which I found very effective.

Look for my personal take on digitally obsessed in the next week or so if you are interested.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sam: I dunno, I pulled those of dvdshrine.com. I gotta wait until March 5 like everyone else. I'd go with what Ron and Joel have said, though.

Real Name
John Haghighi
Ron,

The transfer should be near perfect, what you are seeing as grainy or soft is most likely due to the way it was filmed and processed. The low contrast was intentional to give the film the desired artistic look and feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks