What's new

HTF REVIEW: "9/11 The Filmmakers' Commemorative DVD Edition" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in agreement with Matt Wallace that Mike Eckman's post is totally inappropriate and shows a total lack of sensitivity:thumbsdown:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Lighten up, Ed. Mike was clearly joking, thus the :). He knows how outragous such a petition would be in light of the cicumstances, and that's what made it funny.

John Simon

Second Unit
Hey, Ron. If you by some chance read this, could you let us know if you'll be reviewing any other 9/11-related titles? If so, could you possibly let us know which ones? I'd like to purchase a few of them, but I'm curious to see which ones you think are most useful for preserving history.

Thanks!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
John

If you perform a search on "9-11", you'll see a thread that Ron started on other 9-11 titles that he has reviewed.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
this goes well and in contrast with HBO's IN MEMORIAM I feel. not 5.1 and very bad letterbox video lets it down a lot.

the stretched 4:3 material is from non-source (the brothers) footage I assume.

why this lack of QC occurred beats me.

the use of Hans Zimmer's Gladiator lament cue stood out for me.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
IMO this is the finest documentary that will ever be produced about 9/11 and I will certaintly be picking it up. However I may hold off on actually watching it for awhile, i'm not too eager to relive that day so close to the anniversary. God I hope that day comes and goes with no major events.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
John
Have you seen the HBO documentary In Memoriam: New York City 9/11/01?
IMO, It's as powerful as this one, told from a different perspective. I suggest to all that they should at least rent it. I will definitely be picking this one up also since of the two, this one is somewhat better. Both are mesmerizingly powerful to say the least.

John Simon

Second Unit
Thanks to everyone for the help. I've ordered HBO's In Memoriam, CNN's America Remembers, and - of course - CBS's 9/11. Everyone's experiences with and opinions of these different memorials was greatly appreciated.
I know that there are many who will see this as a morbid fascination. I was reading some reviews of these discs at DVDTalk today, and those who were against the release of these DVDs argued that it's almost voyueristic (sp?) to own them.
I guess my explanation to these people is that this was the single most important and tragic day in my life. It forever changed my appreciation of my life and my country. And owning these discs is a way for me to ensure that I never again take for granted what I did before that fateful day. Even if I don't watch them for 5 years and then watch them only once, I'll still see them staring at me everytime I look at my DVD collection.
Of course, I also respect the feelings of those of you who find it far too difficult to ever see those images again. I only pray that we're all lucky enough to never again see scenes similar to those again. Regardless of your feelings either way, I hope everyone here is able to cope with the first anniversary of perhaps this country's darkest hour.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it when it was aired a few months ago.I bought three copies of the dvd.One for myself and one for two other family members.Good review Ron.

Johnny wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's some of the most incredible and amazing footage ever filmed. Next week will be a melow one for sure.:frowning:

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
now, normally things like this do not bother me, but does anyone else think it is just not right to list "Bonus" interviews as a feature on this disc.

I think I would have just listed it as "filmmaker" interviews or something.

Labeling them as "Bonus" seems......wrong.........given the subject. Am I wrong here?

I mean...are we supposed to look at that and say.....hey, I have to get this title, there are "Bonus" interviews.

At least they did not list the DVD as a "Special Edition" or "Ultimate Edition". They were close though...."Commemorative Edition."

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Regarding Robert Deniro's non-participation in this DVD. I think he was the "host" of CBS's presentation of the film.

The DVD is of the film, not CBS's presentation of it.

GregK

Screenwriter
Regarding the original footage and it's native aspect ratio, I can tell you that at least part of it was videotaped in electronic 16X9. How? On 9-11-01, via a closed circuit feed to television stations, CNN showed the 1st Tower impact section in it's native squeezed format. So there's no confusion, I mean the video was full frame and the image was vertically stretched.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Swedish TV4 showed the documentary last night, De Niro hosting inclusive. Wow, this blew me away.

I wasn't sure I wanted to buy the DVD beforehand, but having seen it, I might want to pick it up for historical value.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
The BBC showed it last night, very powerful indeed. I am still undecided whether or not I want to buy this one.

Perhaps at some other point in time.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Has anyone looked at the footage of the first plane from, say, CNN or other sources, It looks like a 16x9 image filling a 4x3 frame, hence it looks 'squished' horizontally.

Does anyone know FOR SURE if the brothers were filming in 16x9 because it sure looks like they were. The squished footage we always see seems to confirm it.

EDIT: I only read page 1 - I just saw Greg's comment.

As for the two documentaries, they're different takes on the same event. 9/11 takes place inside the towers and focuses on the firemen, the HBO special mainly shows footage from outside the towers from many different sources and focuses on the mayor and his staff. They're both excellent and I don't see one being "better" than the other.

Mike

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Last night's encore presenration had some extra footage added at the end. A kind of update as to where they all are now. Can anyone tell me if the DVD has this extra footage?

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks