What's new

HTF Please ForgiveMe ! (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Correct, Paul. While opening the mattes provides for more picture information, it destroys the composition of the picture as intended by the director and/or cinematographer. However, since most non-film buffs will just see that they are getting less picture with the OAR version, it's better to use a pan & scanned transfer when showing the benefits of OAR and "those black bars".

Some open matte transfers expose items like boom mikes and other items that were never intended to be seen, too. I'm sure other HTF members can chime in with examples if you ever want to educate on the evils of open matting.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I'm sure other HTF members can chime in with examples if you ever want to educate on the evils of open matting
Of course one problem with so-called "open matte" transfers is that effects shots are panned and scanned. Additionally the telecine operator (if s/he is paying attention) will zoom in on shots that contain "spoilers" outside of the safe area. Sometimes the spoilers are left in (there are numerous examples, check out Pee Wee's Big Adventure and A Fish Called Wanda for starters. I have some open matte "spoiler" screen shots from Wanda on my Widescreen Information Page if anyone is interested).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks