What's new

HTF Please ForgiveMe ! (1 Viewer)

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Dude, you're forgiven. I too love this movie as well as the original and have both in my collection. It helps to know that I didn't pay full price for either and that SUPPOSEDLY, they are Full Frame rather than Pan and Scan (no need to jump on the difference wagon as I don't care...I like the movies!)
Just in case you want to know...these are the only two non-OAR titles in my collection (I think...I have a hard time remembering now:)), so I consider myself to be a true supporter of OAR, but not to the point where I deprive myself of a movie I love....

Gary_E

Second Unit
I too have sinned, I own My Blue Heaven. It is the only non-OAR disc I have.

Forgive me.

-Gary

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
"Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-***, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is! Hallelujah! Holy ****. Where's the Tylenol?"

I love this movie! And yes even though its MAR I own it. The only other MAR I own is Frantic. I love this movie as well and it was $9 so it didnt bother me TOO bad.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Dave,

Unlike the Catholic Church, the HTF does not have the power to absolve sins. I, too, have sinned in buying Moonstruck, The Man w/2 Brains, and All of Me in MAR, NL Vacation, and NL Xmas Vacation but I wanted the films.

I held out on Willy Wonka, though. And I won't touch Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Secret of NIMH, or A Christmas Story until they are redone in OAR.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I feel for you, Dave. My wife insisted that we watch this film over the weekend, since it's the holiday season. Luckily, zooming the picture on our 16x9 TV seems to offer the proper OAR framing for most scenes -- this is an open matte transfer, not pan & scan.

My non-OAR sins are Vacation, Christmas Vacation, Arthur and Spies Like Us.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My MAR folly was White Palace. Can't help it. Susan Sarandon all nekkid and passionate was too much to resist.

Until that becomes a standard feature of the Vacation discs, I will hold off on Warner's MARred releases.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"It wouldn't be the Christmas Holdiay season if the store's were any less hooter...hotter than they are"

Clark W. Griswold

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Haha, you suck! You're forgiven, though. Just don't let it happen again or next time you'll be the cat in the Christmas tree.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
You've succumbed to the dark side. For that you must be tortured to death a thousand times over. Your sentence begins with watching Blair Witch Project on a 27" tv with an apex dvd player and Bose AM6 surround system 50 times. Your next sentence will be watching Freddy Got Fingered 30 times on the same system. Oh yes. You will pay for this. You will pay. :D
Just don't let it happen again. ;)

Paul_L

Grip
So....if I zoom in to "Theater Wide" on my Toshiba 56H80, because Xmas Vacation is in full frame and not P&S then I am getting the proper matte for the movie??? That doesn't make sense....someone please enlighten me, because I am about to break down as well......I cannot do Christmas without this movie and I made a scene at Blockbuster last week when I tried to buy it after I was in line and found out it was a "Standard Version" I said F*ck!!!!!!! and everyone around me looked and thought I was nuts b/c I was looking at the back of the DVD and then stormed off and put the DVD back in the Xmas rack.

BTW....its OK to give BB money to BUY DVDs right? I don't rent from them, and I never will.

PS...sorry for all the runs-ons....I am at work.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
You must pay the penalty!

Buy some black felt and make 1.85:1 mattes. Then, put them on your TV as you watch the movie.

Open matte DVD's are a lot easier to cure than P&S.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dude, it's the Griswolds, how can I get too upset at you? :) Seriously, if this was open matte, I think the Zoom function should cure it. Might have to raise/lower the picture though, depending on what looks natural (you can do that on my Panny PT-47).
Bad boy! Don't do it again!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So....if I zoom in to "Theater Wide" on my Toshiba 56H80, because Xmas Vacation is in full frame and not P&S then I am getting the proper matte for the movie??? That doesn't make sense....someone please enlighten me, because I am about to break down as well......
Paul, Christmas Vacation is an open matte transfer of an original 1.85:1 aspect ratio film -- it's not panned and scanned. Since the Theaterwide zoom on your Toshiba is close to 1.85:1 (it's actually 1.78:1), you get a close approximation to the original aspect ratio. This assumes that the matting for the theatrical presentation was always centered properly -- i.e. not shifted up or down the frame.

We watched this disc on our Toshiba 56H80 / Panasonic RP-91 setup last weekend. I used the zoom mode on the RP-91 instead of the one on the Toshiba, but the principle is still the same. The frames looked properly composed to me -- there were a couple of scenes where the very top of Chevy's head was slightly cropped, but that could have been shown the same way in the theater (I can't remember that far back).

Please note that this only works on open matte transfers. If there is any panning and scanning in the transfer, the film will not look right.

Paul_L

Grip
Christmas Vacation is an open matte transfer of an original 1.85:1 aspect ratio film -- it's not panned and scanned. Since the Theaterwide zoom on your Toshiba is close to 1.85:1 (it's actually 1.78:1), you get a close approximation to the original aspect ratio. This assumes that the matting for the theatrical presentation was always centered properly -- i.e. not shifted up or down the frame..
So, when NBC broadcasts Christmas Vacation, do they show it in a 4:3 AR that crops the tops AND the sides of the film? THis is very interesting, and always confusing to me.

Thank you.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
No, they show the film with the top/bottom mattes removed, exposing a part of the picture frame that the director/cinematographer never intended the audience to see.

By zooming your 16x9 TV or DVD player, you are in effect adding the mattes back to the film (it's not exact, since the aspect ratios are not identical, but it's close).

Paul_L

Grip
Scott:

So, in effect, by zooming in, we are preserving OAR (director's intent), but, in fact, we are losing part of the picture, i.e. the non-intentended to be viewed portion. So therefore, we shouldn't necessarily use Christmas Vacation as a DVD of example for the J6Ps of the world to show them the benefits of widescreen, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks