What's new

HTF on Facebook, or, I'm so behind the times (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There's a feature where you can tell it to show more or less from a particular person. When she's on her home page, each update has an "Option" icon where she can set seeing more or less.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Cool, thanks. That would be a necessity for me. I may want to catch up with LLFs, but I don't want to know every single thing going on in their lives. A friend of mine friended my sister, and now she's more up to date on him than I am.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've had a facebook for years, but havent used it much until
a few months ago.

It has helped me get in touch with friends that I havent
seen on over 20 years.

I've also found "groups" started by people who lived in the neighborhood were I grew up and it's fun seeing these old names
saying things like remember the old bakery and the candy store on the corner.
btw I grew up in Philly and my neighborhood was Kensington.

Also , while it was a few years before my time this area of Philly had
at one time as many as 8-10 movie theaters all within a few miles of each other.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's what I thought. But last week I was talking with some acquaintances. One is a 50-ish mother who's on FaceBook to stay in touch with children and nieces and such. Another is a late-30s guy -- definitely now an internet forum guy -- who uses Facebook to post photos of his travels for friends and family to see. Another friend, 40-ish and living in LA, is on Facebook to keep in touch with family and friends around the country and world; and probably so his in-laws in Taiwan can better know what's happening with their granddaugher.

So I realize I really should set up an account this weekend.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Here's another reason why I like Facebook:

I have some fairly close acquaintances (especially spouses of friends) that I interact with (in person) a few times a year. A good friend of mine has a HUGE 4th of July party every year and about 30-40 of my friends/acquaintances show up. When we were all in our early 20's, we'd all hang out at the local bar every Friday night, but now that everyone is in their late 30's (most with kids), we don't get to see each other that much. Some of these people I don't hang out with outside of these parties. It's nice to make small talk with these people online so that when I DO see them, I have a little more to say to them. Facebook is like a virtual bar, it's helping me maintain closeness to people I otherwise never would talk to more than a couple times a year.

And also, as someone else mentioned, it's nice to stay in touch with family members that I only see around family events. I love my cousin to death and have a blast with her when my family gets together, but outside of a family setting, what does a 39 year old male have in common with a 20 year old female (who is realted)? I would never call her up to just "chat", but I do chat with her on FB.

The point is, Facebook is used for lots of things. Some people use it as a teen/gossip network, others use it as a way to catch up on friends/family/acquaintances they haven't heard from in years (and otherwise never would), and others use it to help solidify friendships that they'd never be able to do outside of the internet.

I've definitely fallen into the later 2 myself.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, so I've joined. Strange thing, seeing long-forgotten names from high school -- some frankly I'm content not renewing any contact with.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
And I joined the HTF group.

I need to a get picture up; I need one for LinkedIn as well.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I joined Facebook a few months ago. It really is a great way to stay in touch with friends and family who aren't close geographically. I've joined the HTF group too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, I joined Facebook for the first time two months ago.

Was really into it for a while, but sadly, have become too busy to
really deal with it anymore.

I will say this --- I found friends from High School that I have not
talked to in nearly 30 years.

Not sure what we are going to do with the HTF Facebook. We are
new to this social networking thing and slowly easing ourselves into it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have a MySpace, had it for quite awhile now, it's just for a few friends, nothing more. I don't see a reason to join FaceBook though. One site like these is enough for me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
MySpace is more self-promotional, while Facebook is more communal and less of an eyesore or earsore. I rarely check MySpace, but do check FB on a more consistent basis.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I never got into the whole Facebook/Myspace thing. I just never saw the point, having said that, I have recently joined Twitter. The whole thing is completely pointless, yet strangely addictive. It's essentially a micro-blogging website, here's my "profile": https://twitter.com/daleankers

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I got my profile up to date, "friended" some current and long-lost friends. An old high school friend reminded me of an upcoming reunion!:eek: I'm getting old ;)

And now I'm getting "friend" requests from people that I just don't remember
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
It's been 20 years, and they weren't good friends, and I just can't recall who they were...

So I now understand how people can get lost in Facebook.

And I'm curious to see what HTF does -- inspired I made a Facebook group for my Toastmasters club. I don't really know how or what to do with it, but maybe it will be useful.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As your friend list increases definitely take advantage of creating groups. That way you can control what of your's they see, or if you just need to keep track of who is who.

Also, be sure to peruse the privacy settings. If you join a city-wide network, your information is visible to everyone in the network unless you set it to "friends only."

Be sure to check out this article about privacy settings as well: 10 Privacy Settings Every Facebook User Should Know

mylan

Screenwriter
I got a Facebook account after my sister-in-law wanted me to join so she could post photos of my nephew, something she has yet to do. It is amazing the people from my past who have come out of the ether in a very short time and mostly girls from high school who wouldn't give me the time of day back then, it is strange how that happens. The absolute weirdest thing was an old girlfriend from 30 years ago. The one thing I can't deal with is all the "requests": snowball, covered dish, etc. etc. that lead to some spam sites, and really, do I need to know every little thing someone is doing? :rolleyes

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks, that was great.

I've od'd on high school flashbacks and college friends adopting kids in the Ukraine. What a crazy thing, FaceBook is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks