What's new

HTF Members Choice as DVD of the year (1 Viewer)

PatrickL

Deceased Member
It wasn't my favorite movie released on disc this year, and there are plenty of other respectable choices, but I'd also vote for Snow White as DVD of the Year. From the quality of the restoration/transfer, to the wealth of interesting supplemental material and the elegant menu designs, this 2-disc set is a wonder.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I know vBulletin is able to haves polls but that is what the polls area is for. I didn't implement this with this software as I know it would get abused and cause more headaches than it worth.

Parker

Darrel Johansen

Stunt Coordinator
Well, with a little bit of time before we head out for the Tempe New Year's Eve Fiesta Bowl Party, here's my list(s).
I went through my collection of DVDs, and I put things in some categories. First off are what I consider the best DVDs of the year. Secondly, some welcome DVD releases of movies that have been a long time coming or are improved DVDs from previous releases. Third, some notable DVD music releases. Fourth, just some nice movies that rolled out on DVD - probably not all time greats, but they made the year a great year for DVD watching! All IMHO.
Best DVDs of 2001:
1. Snow White
2. Stanley Kubrik Collection (Clockwork Orange, 2001, Eyes Wide Shut, etc.)
3. The Godfather DVD Collection
4. Rebecca
5. Shrek
6. Woody Allen Collection (Zelig, Purple Rose of Cairo, Broadway Danny Rose, etc.)
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
9. Almost Famous
10. Nosferatu - Eine Symphonie des Grauens
Welcome new DVD releases of older movies or improved DVD releases (in no particular order)
  • Doctor Zhivago
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • On the Waterfront
  • Zardoz
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula: Superbit Collection
  • The Natural
  • Harvey
  • 8 1/2
  • Citizen Kane
  • The Last Wave
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • The Sorrow and the Pity
  • The Day the Earth Caught Fire
  • Wicker Man
  • Gandhi
  • Forrest Gump
  • American Werewolf in London
  • Quadrophenia
  • The Terminator SE
  • The Ruling Class
  • The Stunt Man
  • Apocalypse Now - Redux
  • The Pit and the Pendulum
Best Music DVDs of 2001 (in no particular order):
  • Bruce Springsteen - THe Complete Videos
  • U2 Elevation Tour
  • Bruce Springsteen - Live in New York
  • Sting ...All this Time
  • Queen: We Will Rock You (DTS)
Nice DVDs of 2001 (in no particular order):
  • Wonder Boys
  • Cast Away
  • Quills
  • Best in Show
  • Shadow of a Vampire
  • Billy Elliot
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Dancer in the Dark
  • Thirty-Two Short Films About Glenn Gould (along with Bach: Goldberg Variations, which came out in Dec 00)

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
At the end of the week (Friday the 4th) I will Tally together and post the results in each catagory. Be sure to get your Submission/nomination/vote in.

-Damien

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
1. The Godfather Collection (quality of the films, as well as quality of presentation and extras)

2. Star Wars: Episode I (killer audio and video, GREAT extras you really do actually watch)

3. Snow White (monster extras, great audio/video)

-Tom

P.S. The T2: Ultimate Edition is NOT eligible for this year's awards. It was release on August 29th, 2000.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Looking back over the titles released last year, I would have to say that one title stands out more than any others.

Citizen Kane

Excellent picture, excellent sound, great commentary by Ebert, and the 2 hour documentary(which wasn't produced for the DVD but still...) was great. Ohh ya, and what a grand movie.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was also an excellent release. I love the documentary where Micheal Palin and Terry Jones go back to the castle where they shot it and look at all the locations.

The best documentary on a disk was Hannibal. I loved the way they showed you how the animals functioned, pretty fantastic.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The Top Ten DVDs of 2001:
1) Almost Famous / Untitled: The Bootleg Cut
2) Moulin Rouge
3) Hedwig and the Angry Inch: New Line Platinum Series
4) Akira: Limited Edition Tin
5) Suspiria: Limited Edition
6) Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Special Edition
7) Star Wars: Episode One - The Phantom Menace
8) Requiem for a Dream
9) Superman: The Movie
10) Die Hard Trilogy: The Ultimate Collection
Honerable Mentions:
- An American Werewolf in London: Collector's Edition
- Big Trouble in Little China: Special Edition
- Citizen Kane
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Dogma: Special Edition
- Evolution
- The Goonies
- Hollow Man: Special Edition
- Jurassic Park 3: Collector's Edition
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Opera: Limited Edition
- Rush Hour 2: Infinifilm
- Shrek: 2-Disc Special Edition
- The Simpsons: Season One
- Unbreakable: Vista Series

Margo

Agent
Best DVD
Moulin Rouge
Most interesting extras:
Hannibal
Most beautiful DVD case:
Pearl Harbor

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Citizen Kane Special Edition and the reissued, remastered Kubrick Collection.

Since I haven't been buying DVDs lately, I have yet to see the Moulin Rouge and Almost Famous--Bootleg Cut discs. There are no fewer than twenty must-have DVDs that I've not yet had the pleasure of owning or screening. Will rectify the situation in the first quarter of 2002.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
If I was restricted to only one:
It would be Shrek
If others could be considered I would add:
- Snow White
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Joel

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
My choice as DVD of the Year is On the Waterfront simply because it is one of my favorite movies and I have been waiting for it for a long time.

JohanK

Second Unit
Tough choice for me but I'll pick the Akira Tin just over Shrek, Terminator SE and TPM. Superbit 5Element rounds out my top 5. The Die Hard: Ultimate Collection is tops for multi-DVD sets for me this past year.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The care and quality put into this very old film was very evident and quite possibly, unprecedented. Nothing short of brilliant! :emoji_thumbsup:
1. The Godfather Collection
2. Almost Famous - Bootleg Cut

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
My favorites: First up is CITIZEN KANE, far and away. SNOW WHITE is second, followed by SHREK.

Side note: SEVEN: PLATINUM SERIES was my original third choice, but some quick research disqualified it (it was released 12/20/00).

Second side note: I really wanted to add the remastered 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY to my list, but its utter lack of features prevents it from being a true contender for best overall dvd. But my God, what a gorgeous transfer!

DanR

Supporting Actor
Here's my picks based on weights of 20% movie, 35% sound, 35% video, and 10% added-value material. I rate every DVD in my collection on an absolute (i.e. I don't take into account the age of the film in rating picture and sound) & comparative (i.e. every DVD rating is sorted, and a rating is assessed in comparison to other discs) basis. So, my scores are weighted more towards the technical aspects of the discs released. The weighted total score (out of 5) is given in parenthesis:
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (4.46)
Mummy, The: (Ultimate Edition) (4.05)
Rock, The - Criterion Collection (4.04)
Mummy Returns, The (3.88)
Jurassic Park III (3.70)
Hollow Man (3.55)
Vertical Limit (3.54)
Die Hard 1: Ultimate Collection (3.53)
Die Hard 2: Ultimate Collection (3.50)
Cast Away (3.49)
Hannibal and Forrest Gump came in at 11 & 12 for 2001, so they just missed. I just got Snow White, but it is unlikley I will view and rate that within the next week or so.
Overall Top 5
Gladiator (4.49)
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (4.46)
Toy Story 2: Ultimate Toy Box (4.45)
Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box (4.19)
Mummy, The: (Ultimate Edition) (4.05)
I still consider 2000 to be the banner year for DVD, and I was a bit disappointed with 2001. Overall scores were lower according to my rating system.
Regards,
Dan

bill lopez

Second Unit
I'm baseing my NO.1 pick on dvd content,video,sound, extras & packaging not movie. So no GODFATHER on my list.

The rest are all so good they are a tie for 2nd.

1.PHANTOM MENACE

2. SNOW WHITE

2. SUPERMAN

2. HANNIBAL

2. BASIC INSTINCT

2. BEN-HUR

2. LAWERANCE OF ARABIA

2. PLANET OF APES

YANG

Screenwriter
"Yang;

I can't believe you left out The Phantom Menace in your list of possible best DD 5.1 nominees. Put it on there right away, man! Hurry!"

Actually,i was thinking of putting out a list of titles that are "BEST" in DDEX,but the only title that i can think of is SW:TPM and PH.Other releases of the year,including CASTAWAY and MISSION 2 MARS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks