What's new

HTF HD-DVD Review: Transformers (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone having problems with it on the XBOX 360 HDDVD player? I was just watching it and the web enabled thing comes on and the movie starts but now it does not even do that. Gives me some error code and it wont even read the disc. I was watching the movie and then the web enabled thing froze and now it wont run on the XBOX. I am so pissed off, I been waiting forever for the DVD release and now I cant even watch it??

anyone having the same issues?

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
hope i got this in the right place ?

just wanted to give my opinion on transformers hd dvd awesome !, without a doubt the best sound i have heard from an hd movie to date, and the pic via plasma was spot on thruout with hdmi at 1080i ( something i had yet to experience since my purchases into hd ).

after various movies, i had begun to wonder about pic quality, was it something wrong with my plasma, or my xa2 ? ......apparently not !

this movie rocked in every way possible, and i was totally blown away every min of the movie. stunning is how i would like to desribe it.

just unbeliveable .......get it .....spiderman 3 does not stand a chance against this title ..!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
:D

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Don't fiddle with your settings if nothing is wrong with them.

The downmixed 5.1 is weak. Pure and simple fact.
Compare it to the IRON MAN trailer at end of movie.

Good picture, good movie, weak sound.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
me too. put ln a different hd dvd and disable the network access in the hddvd menu and then you can play transformers again until they fix the problem.

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
Yumbo, it is weak and I don't understand it. I have tried everything to get it to sound good on 5.1 and it just doesn't. DTS sounds great and that is how I will listen to it. I put in Superman Returns just to see if it was my player and it sounded great on 5.1. Oh well, DTS works and I really liike this movie so enough is enough.

Don

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

what is this web enable stuff you guys are talking about?

Do i have to have my player connected to the internet to watch the movie?

Thanks

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Phil, thanks for the info. I am looking forward to watching this and playing with the WEB features this weekend.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

You'll love it!!!

Besides the "INTELLIGENCE MODE w/GPS Tracking INFO (which my digital pics above shows ...), there is THREE "S7" ICONS active now, ... each "S7" ICON has one short video clip that you can download & delete after you watched them (which I did).

1st short video is a surveillance video clip in a garage (cool) :cool:
2nd short video viewing a street from an alley (funny) :laugh:
3rd short video a family having a birthday party (could be unsettling?) :eek:

Since "Sector 7 (S7)" deals with the government alien cover-up, these clips of course shows something or object Transforming - I won't tell you what they are, but the 1st one is an homage to one of the G1 Transformers!!!

There will be SIX Total "S7" ICONS, I guess by tomorrow morning, the Fourth "S7" ICON will show-up and I'll check that out during breakfast!!! ;-)

-------

I brought the SD DVD version - Movie disc only (left the Optimus Prime Transforming DVD Case ;) @ home!) to work so I can listen to Michael Bay's commentary during lunch via my HP Laptop. I listed to about 20 mins already @ home on my HD DVD, and since the SD DVD commentary is identical, I'll listen to more during lunch. He is very engaging, forthright and entertaining.

Anyway, have fun!!! :D

Phil

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
What about the rumors of a possible extended cut being released? I really want to pick up this HD DVD disk but I would be mad if they decided to release the extended cut with TrueHD and the works in a couple months...

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Are we sure this is correct? The reason I ask is that I noticed when watching Immortal Beloved over the weekend that it only contained a TrueHD track. There was no corresponding Dolby Digital legacy track. This led me to believe that TrueHD also uses a core+extension.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, I got to watch this tonight with my wife. She has never seen the movie and liked it. I thought it was a very good presentation and the disc is packed with some cool extras. The picture may not be the best I have ever seen, but it is very, very good and appears to be a solid transfer of the film. The audio is also very good.

I did notice one thing that I am hoping those with good sound setups can check out for me. During the last scene when the secdef is speaking of dismantling Sector 7 and burying Megatron at sea, I noticed a faint crackling sound in the audio. I did not notice is anywhere else and I have rechecked a sampling of scenes. So now I am wondering if it is just part of the disc's audio. Has anyone else heard this?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
OK, this movie has by far the best sound I've ever heard at home. I did have to turn it up about 5db higher than most other discs, as it seems to be mastered quieter than other discs. But once I did that, Holy S**t!!

I suspect those that are reporting being underwhelmed by the audio
a) Do not have it turned up enough,
b) Do not have equipment set up and calibrated properly, or
c) Do not have a subwoofer capable of reproducing the low low low ends.

I read a post on AVM saying how insanely deep the bass is around 1hr55min when Ironhide flips and fires into the ground (right before he slow-mo flips above the screaming woman.) That part is quite nice, but let me tell you, it is NOTHING compared to about 10 minutes later when Bumblebee takes out Devastator (the tank robot) from the back of the towtruck. When Devastator goes down it shook the hell out of my room and I could feel it in my chest. I've never heard anything that deep on my system.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wanted to add to my question above that I only hear the problem when listening through the analog outs and not when listening through the coaxial out (DD vs DD+).

Manus

Second Unit
Honestly , the fascination with numbers continues as if it has some Biblical significance .

As a wise man once said : " Not everything that can be counted , counts ; and not everything that counts can be counted " .

This really is no different to SD dvd where studios could have given us multiple cuts ( eg. T2 seamless branching ) but they chose to constantly re-re-release . In this instance the studio chose not to use Lossless in favour
of extras which although maybe not admirable is understandable given the nature of the film and its target audience .

I wonder how many 13 year olds spend their evenings in front of their screens staring at Bitrate meters and wailing about Bandwith issues and the psychoacoustic consequences of only listening to 768dts instead of 1.5k dts
??:)

Hopefully , not many ?

Life's too short .

~M~

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Brian L, Monteith, Bryant Trew

You all confirmed what I posted on page one. This is a very bombastic sound mix, great lfe, but the top end is a little subdued compared to newer muxes today. I can understand why this would get a 5/5 for sound but I believe there is something to my claim (regarding the top end).

PerryD

Supporting Actor

I finally watched this movie and I agree with the above. I have what I believe is a reasonably high end system, and noticed what you are saying, the mix is missing what you call the top end, to me is a little muddy and muffled, even at very loud volumes. I don't think at all that this is an issue with DD+ vs TrueHD, since there are many vanilla DD DVDs that sound fantastic.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

I just wanted to chime in really fast on this, I'm not sure what player you're using, but did you check and make sure Dynamic Range Compression is set to "off"? I guess the last firmware update set this back to "on". It opened up the soundtrack A LOT for me. I thought something was wrong in the opening soundwave scene when the glass broke in the tower, it was definitely muddy and muffled for me. But, after fixing the DRC setting, it sounds really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks