What's new

HTF HD-DVD Review: Star Trek: The Original Series Season One (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen this mentioned so I don't know if it is a flaw with my set or the way my A1 process the streams (still on 2.0 firmware) but when using the Starfleet Access and selecting the Genesis icon- two frames come up, but there is only live video in the one frame on the right where you get the BTS and interview footage. The left frame is empty and both frames are overlaid ontop of the normal fullscreen HD footage. I think that the HD footage is supposed to shrink and occupy the left frame while this is accessed, but it never does that. Also the video bits seem to start late and cut out early- in the middle of someone talking, or just before they finish their sentence.

Is this happening to anyone else? I hesitate to update my firmware since I don't ususally have a problem with any (other) titles primary A/V and don't want to chance screwing that up.

Another quirk that seems to be with this particular set for me- If I start a viewing session by choosing the first ep selection that is offered in any given disc, then I get jerks and stutters eventually ending in a hard freeze. If I then choose a different ep on the disc, I can usually watch it thru without a problem, and after that I will be able to watch the first ep without incident. This has happened on at least three of the discs so far (one had a starfleet access ep as its first selection, I can't remember if the others did as well).

a bit of a PITA, but I guess I should just call Tosh and get a new firmware disc sent.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

I'm sure most here will disagree, but IMO, if it weren't for the failure of Enterprise to be a 7-season hit show, this whole HD release of TOS might have taken longer to happen.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I think it's your firmware. I've used the Starfleet Access feature a few times and it did not act like what you describe. My Toshiba player is a brandnew new A35, but it has old firmware too!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

It's dramatic license and is done for effect. Same with the sounds in space.

There are inertia dampeners within the ship which is why they aren't pasted on the walls.

Reading this thread it is taking the upmost will power not to buy this set... at least for right now (I have the series on TWO sets of DVDs). I am finding my resolve weakening, however.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Exactly why they don't need to bank their turns to deal with centripetal force.

This is the first time I have seen pre-recorded episodes except for maybe 2 or 3 on VHS. The quality and detail is absolutely amazing compared to what I am used to and I keep getting those "That's a new line. That's a new or extended scene".

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about downloading an ep. or two from X-Box live. That will probably be good enough for me.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I figured out another place in the future they need to rework the series with CGI. I was watching Operation Annihilate! and during the scene where Spock tried to take over the bridge we see everyone try to take him down. First you get the close up and Kirk grabs his arm, along with others. Then you get a high wide shot of the bride and it was "Where did Kirk go? I don't remember Spock throwing him off." Then the close up again and he is back on his arm. Another high wide shot and he gone again with 3 lieutenants in brown shirts on Spock. It has always been pretty obvious when they used stunt doubles for Shatner during fight scenes like The Space Seed and Court Martial but in HD it is ridiculous how obvious it is, even in the long shots. The really need to do a The Running Man on the stunt doubles at some time in the future if it can be done seamlessly. The worst part for me is that these fight scenes didn't seem all that complicated or dangerous so why use stunt doubles, which look very little like Shatner, in the first place? They had no problem setting off real explosives very close (too close) to him that ended up giving him tinnitis.

Still loving this set though.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I watched Operation: Annihilate last night and so far it contains the one bit of CGI that made me wince- when the satelites first turn on. The 'seeding' shot didn't bother me, but the next CU of the satelites themselves seemed too slick and too cartoony.
I also am suprised by how many clunkers (for me) there are in this season. Seems like Kirk is almost every other episode voicing incredulity at some phenomena, when a variation of the same thing happened not two or three episodes earlier.
And then there is the sad preponderence of the climax devolving into a Republic serial-esque fist fight with bad doubles(tho these seem weighted more towards the begining of the season).

still enjoying it though

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Thanks for the GREAT Review Pat!!! :D Love the very detailed Disc #1 - #10 INFO!!!

For those (w/o HD DVD player yet), ... wondering what the Interactive Enterprise Inspection looks like, ... here's some sample still pic's ...

DISPLAY: 62" Toshiba 62HM196 1080p HDTV
CAMERA: Canon A550 7MP on a Tripod / Distant approx. 10'
................Flash = OFF
................Manual Mode / ISO 100 / F-Stop variable between -1/3 to -2/3

MENU Option "With Data Track" selected.

Shuttlecraft leaves the hanger and flys to the "Starting Coordinates"

"Starting Coordinates" - from here, we fly to examine the "Bridge"

View still while flying to the "Bridge"

"Bridge" - look closely, ... you'll see a couple people looking @ you thru one of the windows.

Firing Phasers.

I'm firing the Photon Torpedoes via my Remote!!!

To see more "Interactive Enterprise Inspection" (Warp Nacelles, Main Main Sensor / Navigational Deflector, Intercoolers, etc.), ... Click Here to see them @ my Webshots!!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nice screen caps Phil! I'll have to try your camera settings, I've been wanting to do this too for fun.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well I had my first playback problem (with 10 discs I guess I was pressing my luck). Disc 5 Conscience of the King had a severe lip sync issue....ugh!, I've had minor lip sync problems before with the XA2 and HD DVD's but they only lasted a few minutes and seemed to correct itself but not this time.

Tried powering down, restarting the episode with no luck. I guess I'll have to adjust the sound delay on my Pioneer Elite if I want this episode to be watchable. :angry:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Is the lip synch issue throughout the whole episode? I've read about members who have lip synch issues for years going back to the early SD DVD's and I have never encountered it before.

I have an A35, so I'll check for it!

TARDIS

Grip
Real Name
Rich
I am sure that it has been stated in this thread but while scanning through it I haven't be able to find the answer to my question so I am hoping that someone wouldn't mind answering it. Are remastered episodes on DVD the full 50 minute episodes or the edited TV versions?

Thanks

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The episodes are full and unedited.

But technically, they are edited in the sense that the new CGI are altering only the shots where the original live action was cross faded from live action to CGI, a second or so is lost so CGI overlaps live action without revealing original cross dissolve. Straight cuts from live action to CGI are as they were originally done, no loss of original live action.

TARDIS

Grip
Real Name
Rich

thank you, I had been hearing variations that they were only the 40 minute versions shown on TV to they are the full unedited versions, so I was not sure who to believe. Thanks again for the info!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

If you can check that would be great though we both have different models if it turns out to be player specific. It happens through the whole episode and it's a pretty significant delay of 2-3 seconds.

I'll probably give it one more go tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks