What's new

HTF HD-DVD Review: Star Trek: The Original Series Season One (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The Cage might very well be in the 3rd season set just like it was on the SD season sets. I don't know how much more would have to be done to it as most of the effects shots are already done for The Menagerie.

Doug

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how I can call myself a self-respecting Star Trek fan and not buy this set along with an HD-DVD player to go with it. I hang my head in shame! Very jealous of you folks!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Thank you! I agree, and let me add Twin Peaks to my bitch list of great titles that come in sh*tty packaging! I had all 10 discs scratched. Never got a set, cause they all had scratches. I hear these Trek sets are scratched just as easy! Paramount, we are collectors, we dont like scratched NEW discs, in cardboard crap!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I got an email this afternoon that my Star Trek had shipped and it's supposed to be here tuesday! :D

Doug

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Pat, thanks for the review. It must have been a mission in itself to review the complete package, but you have my appreciation. I am looking forward to owning this set (I do not own the SD DVD release) and this will be fun to watch anew.

BTW, Paramount has announced a March 25th date for the release of Star Trek: Season 2.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Thomas. I actually wound up finding a couple broken parts on the replacement set, but none of the discs were damaged. I don't think we'll see any change in the packaging for the next two sets, so beware of that when you buy.

Mike, is that artifacting and video noise I see in Kirk's shirt? :)

Sorry, couldn't refuse.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I stopped in BB while I was out this morning to get a gander at this set, and shake theirs up and see if I could guage how prevelant loose discs were.
I was shocked to see how small this set actually is. In fact, the Close Encounters set is taller by about 1/16". It looks like this is the exact same height as a standard HDM case (if Pat or one of the reviewers elsewhere commented on that Iit must not have sunk in...I sure expected it to be a lot bigger from all the photos).
They only had two and I shook both, but both seemed to be pretty tight. Nothing loose that I could hear. I'm sure that is deceptive though.

Recent reviews including Pat's have convinced me to go ahead and order it. I got it coming from DD for $106, but it won't be here for at least another 10 days I would guess. In the meantime I've got one disc coming from Netflix.

I'm using the TIY HD screen cap from the Trekmovie review as my desktop now and the image is so freaking awesome. I can't wait to see it in action.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'll just say again that CBS/Paramount only compound my frustration with Star Trek on home video by releasing overly ornate/filmsy packaging. Its like they've painted themselves into a corner by insisting upon charging an arm and a leg for the property, but somehow think they're going making up for it by giving me some non-standardized box that, while it might look pretty, is a big pain in the ass to use and/or results in damaged media. Just give me a boxset with five double-disc HD DVD keepcases and lets call it a day, OK?

I'm super picky about the condition of my HDM, and when you're spending over $100 on something I feel you have the right to be. That said, given the comments about the packaging in the reviews I've read, I'm preparing myself for the worst. I'm putting the over/under at 4 sets to find one where the case isn't broken and the discs aren't scratched. :frowning:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from two Best Buys, and found a copy at the second one. The price was a bit higher then the website had it at yesterday, and now the website doesn't show it at all! Probably why the first BB didn't know what I was talking about.

Well, after all that time from the summer where there was so much outcry about the price and then about not having the originals in HD as well, it's finally in my hot little hands!

The packaging is no worse or better then the past. It's consistant. The discs where all solidly seated in the plastic trays in the hubs. No scratches, all the discs where labeled correctly. The promotion for getting the phaser remote is enclosed too. ( I checked both boxes and the second one didn't have any issues or rattling discs. The discs are really packed up tight.) The cards are shrinked wrapped as was the 10 discs. The only criticism for these Star Trek box sets is that you must open so many layers to get to the discs. But I don't think it's flimsy.

I'll have a look at a disc a little later today. But I must do some work first! I'll be back with a fan review!:)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I can't wait to see this on my New 1080p Set I ordered should be here next week so untill then I might have to catch a few on my 720p 32" sammy.

I wish they would just use Slim cases for these like all their other sets. I know they are trying to justify the price with the Fancy Cheap packaging, but just give me a package that won't damage Sensitive HD Flippers.

Speaking of which mine is Coming with two day shipping from Deep Discount so I'm expecting them to be damaged.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Well, I received the first disc from Netflix today. Tried playing "Where No Man Has Gone Before" but the picture freezes up almost immediately on my A2 (which has the latest update). Checked the disc -- it was clean and unmarked, which is to be expected since I'm probably the first person to play it. I'll keep working with it, but so far I'm glad I didn't purchase it yet.

Mark

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't resist. I played Charlie X, from the first disc. I have an HD-A35 and I have not updated the firmware yet. I'm on 1.0/1.1.

The disc played fine, both the HD side and SD side. Man, oh man, never looked so good before. The detail of the fabrics on the costumes and the fine lines and textures on faces were extremely clear. The new CGI Enterprise looked terrific.

The SD side was also extremely clear, nearly HD. It's really bright in my theater room, so I'll be doing more critical viewing later on tonight and the rest of the week and report more later.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Nelson, you even tempt me. Looking forward to more of your thoughts. Charlie X had good effects. It was cool to see a ship from the Animated Series.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Rick, maybe there will be a set for you under the Xmas tree.

Yes, I was weak, Lou. I sort of feel selfish buying it and tearing into it so close to the Holidays!

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I still haven't seen this out in the wild (went to BB, CC, Target, CostCo). I took that as a sign to buy over the internet. Ordered it under the Deep Discount sale for $106.28 delivered. Now to cross my fingers that "delivered" means "intact" :laugh:

To be fair, I have never had the problems with scratched disks that some others do. But then, I am new to HDM.

By the way, to those that have picked this up, what are the actual details of the Phaser Remote offer? Supposedly the offer coupon is in the set. I have waited sending in for my five free disks ($98 Walmart special!) until I found out how to combine these things. I am a little worried because the story on startrek.com (back when the offer was first announced) made it sound like only HD players bought after the set came out were eligible. If so, that kinda stinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks