HTF HD-DVD Review: Purple Rain

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Neil Middlemiss, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    [​IMG]

2. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Second Unit

Thanls for the review. It sounds like the content is exactly the same as the current 2-disc SD-DVD. Based on your comments, there doesn't seem to be much incentive to upgrade to the HD version, since the standard disc already sounds and looks great, especially upconverted. Would you agree with that conclusion?

Mark

3. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss

Mark - That sounds about right although I have not seen the 2-Disc special edition, but if you are perfectly happy with the way it looks and sounds (and there are no special features exclusive to the HD version) - You are probably good to stick with what you have.

Thanks,
    Neil

4. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Second Unit

Thanks, Neil. As much as I love this movie, I don't want to buy it again if I'm not going to see that much of an improvement. I'd rather put that money towards a title that I don't already have, or that could really benefit from the HD upgrade.

Mark

5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    FTR, Prince does not play The Kid in Under the Cherry Moon. His character in that film is named Christopher Tracy and is clearly not the same character (Christopher is a gigolo, not a rock star). He does reprise The Kid in Graffiti Bridge, but not in UtCM. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on that.

6. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Thanks Steven, I have corrected.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Bought the BD disc and loved it. I'd give the PQ and SQ better marks then you do Neil, I thought it looked and sounded fantastic. This film reminds me of how great the 80's were for music and sadly looks to be the last.

8. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss

I know where you are coming from. Some scenes looked outstanding while others had me scratching my head. I guess in the end, I felt the aggregate score fell out to 3 stars. But I had a total blast watching it. Looks like I am going to need to download some Prince to my iPod [​IMG]

9. Shane_Anthony

Shane_Anthony Stunt Coordinator

I recently baught the Toshiba A2 player so I'm slowly starting to stack on HD dvd's. I'M glad I held off buying this SE when it came out last year. My hd-dvd Is currently on back order from Amazon.ca [​IMG]

I love Prince and I haven't seen this movie in years. I must of played the "Purple Rain" soundtrack a million times when I first baught it in '84 so I'm really looking forward to watching the movie again

I'm glad to see there are also 8 music videos as a bonus.

Is the "When Doves Cry" video the extended cut with the split screen at the end? I love the choreography in that sequence. After "Little Red Corvette" that is my all time favourite Prince Rogers Nelson video of his even if most of it is just clips of the movie [​IMG]

PS I think the movie poster is also one of the all time coolest!!

10. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss

Hi - If you are talking about the funky 'mirroring' effect in the "When Doves Cry" video - it is indeed [​IMG]