What's new

HTF HD DVD REVIEW: Batman Begins (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
This disc is why I am doing major new TV research right now. Once I get the TV, then comes the HD player, and then bliss. It should be very, very, VERY soon.

Can't wait,
Chuck

Craig W

Second Unit

Ron,

Are you still using the AE200 or did you upgrade to newer HD projector? I am currently using a DT300(Matterhorn DLP) and wondering if it is worth upgrading to HD-DVD with my current setup. HD cable looks very nice at 92" on this ED projector.

I really am tempted to upgrade when I hear reviews like the one here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Larry,

Not saying what Amazon is telling you isn't accurate...

...but many times their estimated order dates are off.

I also ordered a whole boatload of Warner titles from Amazon
and I discovered that I specified one lump shipment
instead of shipping them as soon as they become available.

(I ordered the October/November releases together)

Just went to their site, changed the shipping options and
my HD-DVD titles are scheduled to ship tomorrow.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Craig, Tim is correct. I upgraded to the Z3 awhile a go. My 200 blew a pixel in the middle of the screen and it was buy new or pay to have it repaired, I upgraded.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

That's happened to me before too, Ron, and it sucks. I speciified BATMAN as
"ship as soon it becomes available" because I wanted the title so badly. I'll probably do the same thing with SUPERMAN RETURNS, and have already done so with KONG.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Thanks John. You can't. It was merely worded poorly on my part - sorry for the confusion.

Herb.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Ok, I just finished watching Batman Begins. First let me say that when the movie first came out, I missed it in the theater so I rented the DVD and was very underwhelmed. Maybe it was because it was very different from the Tim Burton version I have enjoyed for so many years, or maybe it was because Katie Holmes just can't act. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but the movie was missing something very important. To be honest, I didn't like it at all and quickly took it off my wishlist.

Now, fast forward to a couple weeks ago when early reviews of the HD DVD began appearing. Everyone who reviewed Batman Begins raved on and on about it. So, being curious and trying to be open minded, I bought the Batman Begins HD DVD at Target last Sunday. (They have recently added HD DVD and BD sections and are outselling Wal-Mart hand over fist.) Tonight I got a couple hours to myself with no interruptions and I decided to give it a spin.

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

It didn't take long for me to discover what was missing from the SD DVD release. Dolby TrueHD. The soundfield is immense with no, let me repeat, NO distortion of any kind. Too often I find the center channel on DD tracks have a harsh compressed sound like a bad MP3 file or seem muffled. Sometimes even at moderate volumes, there is a tad bit of audible clipping from the center channel when people yell or there are explosions, gunfire, etc... The TrueHD track on Batman Begins had none of this. At reference volume, the sound was clean and smooth and helped draw me into the movie.

The 1080 presentation was nice, especially in the opening jail fight scene with the prison uniforms seeming to stand out against the background. Fine detail was very good also, most notably the maggots crawling from the Scarecrow's eyes and mouth.

If you don't already own Batman Begins on HD DVD, you should run right out and get it. You'll be glad you did. :emoji_thumbsup:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I finally figured out how to burn the 2.0 firmware upgrade to a CD this weekend and successfully updated, so I can't wait to finally watch Batman Begins. I've had it since the first week of release and have held off, somehow. Bring on TrueHD!

Dave>h

Second Unit
Brett,

I just got my 2.0 in the mail and have been holding off on Batman Begins until I had the 2.0 update done too.

Really looking forward to seeing this - probably watch it tonight.

Enjoy!!

Dave

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I bought the HD-A1 for this movie. One of my favorites from 2005, it was the release I was waiting on to get into HD, new TV included. Wouldn't you know, I went great guns on 10/17 to get the TV, then the player, and now the film.

Like Dave, I was waiting for TrueHD. Thanks to Larry, I got the update today, and I had to try it out. Which scene, which scene... :)

Well, we know the answer to that. What a rich looking film, what a gorgeous soundscape. If this is what first gen HD brings to the table, I am quite happy. Just a beautiful presentation of a beautiful-looking film.

Can't wait to watch it proper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks