What's new

HTF Fantasy Football Thread (semi-official) (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Don't worry about having to many backs. I thought the draft was a blast last night and am very happy with my team. (Vaders Crusaders) This is going to be a great year,and the depth may help you at a later time. All I have is James Stewart to back up Faulk and Dillon.

Brandon

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry about having to many backs
I think I must've not gotten my point across clearly. Here's what kind of mess it is:

1) #1 RB bye week is Week 8
2) #2 RB bye week is Week 8
3) "Drafted" RB #2 way too high
4) Had to draft some sort of RB right afterwards so when week 8 comes, I have some semblance of competing
5) Because of #4, I wasn't able to draft the higher-tiered WRs, etc
6) Totally screwed. There's no reason to play in my eyes. It's totally screwed.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
4) Had to draft some sort of RB right afterwards so when week 8 comes, I have some semblance of competing
This was your big mistake, John, attempting to draft a player for /one week/ effectively, IMO. Of course, hindsight's an easy thing to do.

Trade, trade, trade...

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
That's why, when ranking my top 20 at each of the three big positions, I made sure to write down their bye weeks too, so I didn't get any unpleasant surprises like yours.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
This was your big mistake, John, attempting to draft a player for /one week/ effectively, IMO. Of course, hindsight's an easy thing to do.
Exactly. You shouldn't screw up your whole team just trying to compensate for one week. Write it off as a loss and make your team strong for the rest of the season. It takes more than one loss to knock a team out of the playoffs.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I made sure to write down their bye weeks too, so I didn't get any unpleasant surprises like yours.
But I did! As I said, Yahoo autopicked him for me, which would've been easier to roll with had he not had the same bye week as my other RB.

And as far as trading, I've tried to go down that road before and no one ever trades fairly in these leagues. I'd have to give up either Mcnabb or Garner for an average RB. That's why I'm so disgusted with the way it turned out the other night.

But I guess I'll have to pull it out like I did last year with mastery of the waiver wires. :D

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Almost 1 day away from the HTF II League draft.

I hope everyone has their power and networks restored in time, or maybe I hope that you don't and it will be me and a few others competing against your autodraft rankings. :D

Was there a consensus on who had the best draft in League I?

Brad

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Well, even if the power outages continue into tomorrow night and spread south of Toledo, I should still be okay for the draft since I'll be on my buddy's iBook wirelessly.

Good luck to me, and the hell with the rest of you! ;) :D

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm ready for the draft for League II! Curious to see who will be there for me at #3 since I don't think that there's really a consensus #1 pick.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Well I wasn't at all happy with my draft either John. You are not alone. First off I picked a QB in the first five rounds which I told myself NOT to do bar none! Then Vick is available at 12/13 overall, when he is usually within the top 8 overall in rankings I've seen/used, so I figured I HAD to take him. Then he is out for a month with a broken leg. I relied too heavily on sleeper WR's and RB's because of drafting a QB so high. My defense, although being a top 5 defense in each of the past 5 years, could have been much better had I drafted it higher. My kicker is good. That's about all I can say.

So... would the Vick owner in HTF II like to branch off and start a new league called HTF III with me and invite some of the people that could not get into a league?? :)

This is awful!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
First off I picked a QB in the first five rounds which I told myself NOT to do bar none! Then Vick is available at 12/13 overall
Same here, brother. McNabb was just sitting there and all the top tier RBs were gone. It looked like a good choice at the time. :)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Hey, how about everybody in both leagues posting their team name and roster, so the two leagues can compare teams and so the easily confused (like myself) can more readily indentify teams with their HTF counterparts? I'll start off.

HTF League I, Purple&Gold Machine:
QB: Gannon, McNair
RB: Portis, George, K. Faulk
WR: Price, Toomer, Streets, A. Bryant, A. Johnson
TE: Fauria, Miller
K: Stover, Carney
DEF: Baltimore

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
HTF League II, Happy Fun Ballers
QB: P. Manning, J. Plummer
RB: T. Henry, W. Green, T. Canidate, M. Alstott
WR: P. Burress, C. Johnson, C. Chambers, Q. Morgan, S. Moss, A. Lelie, R. Ferguson
TE: D. Jolley
K: P. Edinger
D: Miami

I had pick #9 out of 12, statistically the worst draft position (I saw an analysis somewhere). I made a patented John Thomas maneuver and drafted two running backs with the same bye week, so I picked up Trung and Alstott to fill in for that week and to be there if Green gets injured.

Then I cornered the market in breakout receivers. :D One of them will disappoint and get dropped so I can swap out backup kickers and TEs for bye weeks. Or they'll all become studs and I'll be a hot target for trades.

Brad

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
HTF League II - California Quakes
QB: Gannon, Hasselbeck
RB: Tomlinson, Martin, Mack, Pittman
WR: Moulds, Driver, Thrash, Boerigter
TE: Crumpler, Graham
K: Gramatica, Wilkins
D: Carolina, Washington

I had the #3 pick and I was glad that Tomlinson was there for me. In the 2nd round, all of the good RBs were gone so I grabbed Gannon even though I also hate drafting a QB early. Overall I'm very happy with my team. If Curtis Martin can get back to his old ways, my team will be very strong.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
hah, do I really have to post the ENTIRE team here? *rme*

alright...

HTF I Rocket House Dwellers

"Please lord protect this rocket house and all who dwell within the rocket house"

Mike Vick, Kelly Holcomb, Joey Harrington
Jamal Lewis, Kevan Barlow, Onterrio Smith, Correll Buckhalter, Lamont Jordan
Laverneus Coles, Josh Reed, Brian Finneran, Ashley Lelie
Jim Kleinsasser
Mike Vanderjagt
New Orleans

I'm glad to see the Eagles are officially putting Staley on the trading block. This means Buckhalter will be the featured back in Philly, and one of my RB sleepers panned out already.

I'm happy that Holcomb made the starting QB for the Browns. He has shown he can pass for yardage as well as TD's and they have an improved William Green at RB to take some focus away from him, I just hope their OLine holds up.

I too picked a bunch of sleeper WR's as well as RB's hoping that either one will be a known scrub, or that I will attract trades. I hope that strategy works.

Percentage wise, Vanderjagt has been the #1 kicker over the last few years, and hopefully this is the year for the Colts Offense.

New Orleans has been a top 5 defense fantasy wise for the last few years so I'm hoping things will pan out here.

And Vick....

WHY......WHYYYYYYY Vick????!!!!!!!!

I knew I had to grab Green at that #13 spot overall. DAMMIT!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no other fantasy football league drafts have gone on since the last post (or at least posted about their draft anyhow).

I was involved in one last night with some local friends and here's how it panned out:

QB: A.Brooks, B.Favre
RB: R.Williams, J.Lewis, C.Garner, S.Davis, TJ Duckett
WR: T.Owens, E.Moulds, A.Toomer, L.Coles, D.Bates
TE: R.Mcmichael, A.Crumpler
K: J.Carney
DEF: Tampa Bay

I'm pretty satisifed with it. Should be a pretty high powered league with only 6 teams (yeah, that's how I pulled it off :D)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no other fantasy football league drafts have gone on since the last post (or at least posted about their draft anyhow).
I had my autodraft in my non-HTF league just the other day. 10 team league, usual rules/scoring more or less, with the 3WR being a flex position ala HTF.

Everyone in the league is British, and it makes for an interesting comparision - a lot more "fan favourites" are picked rather than hardcore FF winning strategies, and there's usually a couple of newbies each year who rely on the default ratings bigtime.

Anyway, I was 10th pick, and ended up with:
QB: Culpepper, T.Green
WR: J.Horn, E.Moulds, K.Johnson
RB: L.Tomlinson, M.Faulk, T.Candidate, O.Smith, C.Buckhalter
TE: A.Crumpler, F.Wycheck.
K: M.Vanderjagt
DEF: New England.

I'm ditching Wycheck & a no name kicker for some WR "backup"/Sleepers like Robert Johnson.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Ya, I kinda dig that line of thinking Brian. Picking your faves might not win you the league, but you have a much better time during the football season watching your guys do well. A somewhat decent example of this for me is Terrell Owens. I ended up drafting him last year as my first pick (#12 overall) and enjoyed watching the 49ers games. beforehand, I hadn't cared for TO as much..but he's just so good and entertaining. :)

Added: Brian, Tomlinson lasted until the 10th pick?!? WHAA?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
RB: L.Tomlinson, M.Faulk, T.Candidate, O.Smith, C.Buckhalter
Can someone tell me in how ANY fantasy football league a guy drafting 10th can get BOTH Tomlinson AND Faulk?

I don't care if you are in a league filled with people stuck on the moon for the last 5 years, that's simply ridiculous...Tomlinson is going #1 overall in many drafts alone and I have yet to see a single mock draft that has Faulk outside of the top 6.

Man, how come I cannot be in some of these leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks