What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: The Three Stooges Collection Volume Two: 1937-1939 (1 Viewer)

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Sam's Club is one B&M that's carrying it. I picked up my copy yesterday for $17.88. They had around a dozen copies each of both volumes.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Perhaps that is true.

However, before this new "Collection" series, Sony released over 20.... that's right, over TWENTY... of the single disc DVD collections. They certainly managed to get them in stores, and obviously thought the series successful enough to do it again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

In fact, FYE here is actively promoting the old series this week at a great price, instead of this new Volume 2. It makes no sense.

This new series is GREAT. And it's priced right so I have no doubt 12,000 units would easily double to 24,000 or more if it was just more accessible at places like Target & Borders.

And if stores like FYE would stock more than 2 or 3 copies which they sold out of on release day.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks to the prior poster for the heads up about Sam's terrific price on this; that's where I got mine.

For some reason, deepdiscountdvd says this DVD is not available and it can't be ordered from them. Interesting to find out if this is a Sony problem or a DD problem. Either way, having one of the leading online e-tailers unable to sell this disc isn't a good thing.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Although it's a rarity these days, I found myself inside my local 'Bust' Buy and figured I'd check just to see if they had any of these new sets there. All they had were the old, inferior "themed" sets on the shelves!!

Doesn't matter much to me; I received my copy of VOL. 2 from Amazon already. :D

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Hehehe, got my VOL 2 in the mail today (Three boxes to be precise for me and my two boys). Pre-ordered mine in March from Amazon for 16.99 each + free S&H. :D

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We watched the first three episodes from disc one tonight. One thing I've noticed that I didn't see (or maybe I missed it) on any of the shorts included on vol. 1 is that there were two or three noticeable splices in a couple of the shorts tonight. I'm guessing that the film was so bad at that point that splicing was required. This isn't really a complaint, however. The three shorts we watched were as clean as just about any I've ever seen of the The Three Stooges.

jhro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I watched all 24 shorts already but the good thing about the Stooges is you can watch them over and over again, fingures crossed we get volume 3 in a few months.

jhro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
As i'am from Australia and these shorts cant be found on TV anymore, i was finding myself watching shorts that i'd never seen before which was fantastic..

Every store and suburb/city are different so you're better off ringing them:)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Agreed! I haven't been this excited about too many DVD releases over the past few years.

I'm waiting to see if anyone can give a compelling reason (other than just doing it for the sake of being a completist) to purchase the full-length (not the shorts) films.

Incidentally, I should have listed the shorts I watched. Some of the reviews over at Amazon.com have the ordering of the shorts listed differently (and not necessarily according to the actual chronology). We watched "Grips, Grunts, and Groans," "Dizzy Doctors," and "Three Dumb Clucks." In the latter short, in which Curly plays a dual role, it was interesting to see the necessary editing. It reminded me very much of how they did it with Patty and Cathy Lane from The Patty Duke Show. I was trying to view the stand-in, but they were quite clever how they masqued it from the viewer.

On an aesthetic note, I love the packaging, the photos., and the cases for these sets. I'm hoping that they continue with different colors for subsequent volumes.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Does anyone happen to know if Sony plans to release the work from 1930-1934 with Ted Healy?

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine

SOUP TO NUTS (1930) was a Fox film, and released on DVD a couple years ago.

1933 - 1934 were MGM releases, and are owned by Warner Brothers.

Several are on Warner Home Video DVDs...
- DANCING LADY (1933) feature film; also available in the "Clark Gable Signature Collection"
- ROAST-BEEF & MOVIES (1933) and PLANE NUTS (1933) are bonus extras on DANCING LADY
- BEER AND PRETZELS (1933) is a bonus feature on FLYING DOWN TO RIO; also available in the "Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers Collection Vol. 2"
- Their feature film MEET THE BARON (1933) is on a double feature disc with GOLD RAIDERS (1951); also in the "Classic Comedy Teams Collection" box set

Several of Ted Healy's solo MGM films are on DVD from WB... LA FIESTA DE SANTA BARBARA (1935), MAD LOVE (1935) and SAN FRANCISCO (1936); and, two of his Warner Bros. musicals will be out soon in the "Busby Berkeley Coll. Vol. 2," VARSITY SHOW (1937) and HOLLYWOOD HOTEL (1938). RECKLESS (1935) and BOMBSHELL (1933) are "probables" for the long-promised/hopefully forthcoming "Jean Harlow Collection."

Three Stooges Videography

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Brent,

Thanks, that was very informative. But I was curious if Sony was going to complete the entire catalog (prior to the vol. 1 releases, in other words). Please let me know if you hear of anything. :)

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine

Vol. 1's WOMAN HATERS (1934) was the Three Stooges' first film for Columbia. There are no Sony/Columbia titles prior to that.

TravisD

Agent
Real Name
Travis D
I just got through the first disc,....and my only complaint,...is that it is now so clean,.....I can see prop strings and gag triggers.

And that,....is just the way they are.....the transfers are as flawless as I'd ever hope to imagine.

Guess Ill buy two more copies for birthdays coming up of both sets....:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks