What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 6: 1949-1951 (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
A friend pointed out one problem with this set, and I checked it out and can confirm: there is an authoring error on "Slaphappy Sleuths," and the short is clipped at the beginning, with the first few seconds of the theme missing and an incomplete fade-in at the start. A minor problem, but sure frustrating, given the otherwise great job Sony has done on these sets.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark,

Thanks for the information. :emoji_thumbsup:

May I ask, what is meant in this context by an "authoring error"?

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Well, I'm not very "technically inclined," but that particular chapter (with that short in it) is programmed to begin a few seconds late. In other words, the missing few seconds are probably "there," just not accessible on a DVD player. If I understand correctly how this stuff works.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I checked out the above-mentioned authoring error and it is indeed valid. The short cuts into the opening theme screen a second or so too late, so we don't see the full fade-in from black, and an opening note or so of the music is upcut.

It's fairly minor, but I suppose a true purist might object. I find it quite acceptable, given the great video and audio on these sets and the general care given these old films in their DVD treatment.

The upcut occurs whether or not one selects the short directly, or if one does a "Play All" option.

Harry

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark (and Harry),

Much appreciated. :emoji_thumbsup:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not quite sure this is a mistake with the dvd release. On YouTube there is a video that is obviously not sourced from this dvd and it begins the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks