DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 1 (1934-1936) (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard Gallagher, Oct 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Same exact thing happened with me at my Worst Buy store, except there were TWO copies.

Here I am, a big fan actually looking for this release - and even *I* almost missed it! It could so easily be mistaken for another run-of-the-mill public domain knockoff too; the Stooges on lesser DVD releases have been so overstaurated that I just hope this new release sells well...!!

2. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Out here in Ohio, Best Buy had plenty of them on the shelves. It was filed under "Comedy", not the first place I looked, but at least I found it. I figured they would shelve it with the rest of the collections.

3. Craig Yeingst

Craig Yeingst Auditioning

I was planning to get this at Border's with the 30 percent off coupon but no luck. I also tried Best Buy and Circuit City without success but I did finally find it at Walmart here in Massachusetts.

4. CaseyL

CaseyL Supporting Actor

Great Review! Mine already shipped from amazon. I preordered at the lower price. Hopefully I'll see these by the end of the week. This is what I've been waiting for in regards to a Stooges release. I noticed DDD also has these available too.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

None at Borders or Best Buy here (although the clerk at Best Buy said they had one or two in but sold them early today).

Got mine at an FYE.

6. daddymention

daddymention Agent

Got mine at Walmart ($19.96) after looking at 4 other stores first [​IMG]

Every week it's the same story...If I want 4 or 5 new releases I have to search all over town to get them. I end up at:
    Walmart
    Target
    Best Buy
    Fry's
    Border's
    Costco
    Circuit City

What a pain. I would order online regularly, but I get screwed on the price a lot of the time and the free shipping takes about 2 weeks to get to me.

I'm just happy I found it at Walmart. Me and my kids (Shane - 9 and Emma - 3) enjoyed the first 2 tonight. It made my day.

7. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

Well after flipping through these DVDs, I was absolutely floored by the quality. I really never expected the Stooges shorts to get this kind of restoration on DVD, but I knew they deserved it.

8. PianoPlayer

PianoPlayer Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    After reading all the great reviews here, I knew I had to have this TODAY, not tomorrow or next week.

Best Buy's Web site says it's "unavailable" in every one of their many stores in my huge metropolitan area (Dallas/Fort Worth), but I figured at least one of their local stores had to have it anyway.

I called one of their local stores and they did indeed have one copy in stock, which they saved for me and which I've picked up and am devouring now. The quality of the DVD is amazing! This is by far the best the Three Stooges shorts have ever looked, or sounded.

So, my advice to you if you want this DVD from Best Buy right now: CALL the store, and don't rely on their Web site. You might get lucky.

Happy Halloween.

9. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    Excellent re-mastering job Sony. [​IMG] Thank you. Bring on Volume 2.

Perhaps Volume 2 will come quickly since this one seems to be selling out everywhere.

And: A VERY NICE TOUCH: other than a very brief Sony logo, it goes straight to the menu. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

For collections like this, Looney Tunes or TV shows, I like watching 1 or 2 a day, until I finish the set. With many sets, you have to trudge through gobs of previews, disclaimers, copyrights, French copyrights, commercials, fan-fair & more. With a Looney Tunes set, Whoopi Goldberg showed up every single time spouting her PC garbage.

This gets very old when you simply want to watch 1 episode a day.

Great job on this set Sony. The Stooges are great and this set is the treatment they deserved.

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Watched a couple of these shorts tonight.

An impressive set in its quality and simplicity. [​IMG] They look exceptionally good...and sound great, too (genuine Western Electric Noiseless Recordings, after all! [​IMG] )!

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

I disliked the intros by Whoopie and skipped them for that reason I wanted to get straight to the toons , but I would've done that if it was Whoopie or anyone else, but she was talking about the cartoons themselves So I'm not sure what "PC Garbage" you are alluding to.

12. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Ive recieved my set earlier than expected !!!!! I cant believe the amazing picture quality on these shorts , ive only watched 3 or 4 shorts on disc 1 , but uncivil warriors looks phenomenal !!!

13. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

14. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

Unfortunately, this isn't the case.. the stores just aren't stocking it. Although, the sales on Amazon were excellent.. I hope that warrants Sony to get the ball rolling on Volume 2. Early reports indicated that if they continued the line, we'd get a set every 2 months, to finish all 190 in 3 years. We'll see; Vol. 2 is only "on the table" at Sony right now, so unfortunately I don't see this by year's end or January.

I watched all 19 the day I bought the set and it has me yearning for more!

15. DanMel

DanMel Second Unit

After getting the three stooges box set a few days ago, I decided to order today both box sets of W.C. Fields at amazon as they are having half price on all Universial classic box sets right now and picked them up for 28 dollars each. I thought about getting the Marx Brothers but the picture quality looked horrible on those. I would say that Universial must be doing very bad on sales for classic movies with all the sales on their sets. I don't look to see anything that I would be interested in coming out from them next year including the rumored Gary Cooper box set I reported a few months back that was suppose to come out next spring. Their first box set on him with five movies is selling for only 13 dollars right now the price of a single movie and probably still is not selling any units. The same is the case for Cary Grant, and all the Glamor collections.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

When I saw your post Dan...I got so excited, I ran to amazon to check out those Cooper and Grant sets and found out why I hadn't purchased them:

The Gary Cooper Collection (Design for Living / The Lives of a Bengal Lancer / Peter Ibbetson / The General Died at Dawn / Beau Geste)

Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection (Big Brown Eyes / Kiss and Make Up / Thirty Day Princess / Wedding Present / Wings in the Dark)

While they may all be fine films, the fact there are few real classics (or titles that most people have heard of) among them may be more of a factor as to why Universal is dropping its price on them. [​IMG]

17. DanMel

DanMel Second Unit

Actually no Amazon has dropped the price to 50 percent off of every single classic Universial movie box set that I know of including John Wayne, Alfred Hitchcock, carole lombard Marlon Brando, Demille and many others. You won't find any WB or Sony titles in this big sale as it is just Universial box sets that amazon can't seem to get rid of.

http://amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Universial does not seem to own any Three Stooges sets though.

18. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

Anything Stooges is owned by Sony, with the exception of the 4 shorts that slipped inot public domain (Sing a Song of Six Pants, Malice In the Palice, Brideless Groom & Disorder In the Court).

19. stevenHa

stevenHa Stunt Coordinator

Just curious, would this 1st volume be considered their peak work and if not which period would be (I'm referring to the years with Curly) ? Thanks.

20. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine

The peak years with Curly are mid-1935 through 1943.

By 1944, Curly began suffering health problems that visibly affected him in the 1945 - 1946 shorts. Also, director Del Lord focused less on the Stooges, and director Jules White's heavy-handed style became more noticable.

When Shemp returned, the Stooges' shorts of 1947 - 1952 began another run that fans regard as a high point, particularly with Ed Bernds directing.