What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 1 (1934-1936) (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Best Buy is now offering a deal on their website where you can buy one of the old crappy discs for $4.99 with the purchase of the new set. Similar to some of the earlier posts, this seems like Sony is shooting themselves in the foot with these type of deals. However, it may be a way of getting some of the later shorts for cheap that are at the highest risk of not being released or at least not being released for quite some time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yes, you have to sign up. No, it doesn't cost. And, no, you don't HAVE to carry the card. They can look up your account via your phone number (IIRC).

Frankly, I hate 'em, too. But for certain stores where I will spend x amount of $$$ in a year, I make an exception. I also think they are here to stay.

I REALLY hate paying extra for 'em though (like at Barnes & Noble)...and won't.

I think Borders and Best Buy are the only two places I stay active in their "Rewards" programs.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
This set seems to be "unavailable" at all the Best Buys in NYC.
The Target near my house does not have it ether. Why is this gonna be a PITA to get....

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow! It shows up as being unavailable at every Best Buy in the Chicago area too. What gives?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Not available at any Circuit City or Borders in the Chicago area either. Just to make sure this was not a first day computer problem, I checked for the Looney Tunes set but they are listed as available at the same stores.

How could they botch up the delivery of such an important release?

I guess that I'm forced to go through Amazon now!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...all of the above holds true for the Albany, NY area. No availability at Best Buy or CC. And, my local Borders status is "must be ordered."

I probably would have placed an amazon order right now, too. But, with the price jump I'll wait until I see it somewhere. :frowning:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The so called "giant" FYE store in downtown Nashville apparently only stocked 3 copies. As of 10:30 AM when I stopped in, they had already sold all 3 copies. Very poor ordering by FYE and looks like very poor planning by Sony.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I would'nt consider this Collection as "Done Right" I'd consider it less of a "Bending Over" by Sony. But if these Disks were "Done Right" and treated with the Respect they Deserve, they would'nt be Bare Bones. They'd have Film Historian Commentaries, they'd have alot more than just throwing the shorts on a Disk. I'm glad I can finally buy them without mortgaging my house, but Sony hardly Sis right by the 3 Stooges.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Almost gave up, but found ONE copy at Best Buy sideways on the shelf next to the one other public domain Stooge Box Set. There wasn't any extra space on the shelf, so I assume it was the only copy they had.

Matthew H

Second Unit
All of the major retailers either weren't informed in enough time (since it was announced at the last minute for a September 18th release, then bumped to October 30th) or the mega-stores were anticipating this to sell like the themed discs.

All of the major retailers in the Sacramento area (Target, Best Buy, Circuit Titty, and Walley World) aren't carrying it.. I called up every store in the metro-region yesterday.

BUT, luckily here in California we have Fry's Electronics which.. well is just great when it comes to classic titles. :D

They have several copies in, so I'll be heading there after work for my copy. Can't wait!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
There is obviously something wrong with the supply chain for this title. Best Buy's website lists this title as "Available at most stores", yet I could not find it in stock at any store in the US, and I checked at least 25 major cities.

Hopefully, Sony gets this sorted out fast. I don't want to hear any excuses from them about sales figures.

DanMel

Second Unit
I got mine today from amazon. I signed up for a free month of two day shipping at amazon when it was offered to me last week and the dvd shipped yesterday and arrived today. I have to cancel before the first month or pay $79 for two day shipping from Amazon for the next year. I haven't decided yet but it might be worth it since brick and mortors stores don't offer anything anymore that I will be buying.

DanMel

Second Unit
I haven't had a chance to watch many of them but the spoof on Operator 13 Uncivil Warriors filmed the year later looked as good as casablanca for picture quality. I am sure that the shorts that haven't been in wide circulation over the years will look the best. Uncivil Warriors was perfectly clean, had an amazing sharpness and the brightness and contrast were perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks