What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" w/scrnshts (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Second Unit
The First movie in an excellent triology is ALWAYS going to be the 'best'... while the second can be 'as good' or just 'different' OF COURSE THE FIRST MOVIE IS GOING TO BE THE BEST BECAUSE IT IS THE FRESHEST AND ORIGINAL. I always get amazed at the level of expectations of sequels.... Anyway I hope for a very good T4 and T5 something like Matrix 2 and Matrix 3... VERY similar scenario.... "Machines coming..." "John = Neo" You know....

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
T1 defintely had the best story of all the movies. However, the 2nd and 3rd ones were both way above a typical summer blockbuster type movie, and they were just a bunch of fun to watch!

David Galindo

Screenwriter
The First movie in an excellent triology is ALWAYS going to be the 'best'... while the second can be 'as good' or just 'different' OF COURSE THE FIRST MOVIE IS GOING TO BE THE BEST BECAUSE IT IS THE FRESHEST AND ORIGINAL. I always get amazed at the level of expectations of sequels...
I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
The First movie in an excellent triology is ALWAYS going to be the 'best'... while the second can be 'as good' or just 'different' OF COURSE THE FIRST MOVIE IS GOING TO BE THE BEST BECAUSE IT IS THE FRESHEST AND ORIGINAL. I always get amazed at the level of expectations of sequels...
We're getting a wee bit off topic, but I wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment. Looking down the list of some of the greatest movies in the action/sci-fi genre, it's often not until the 3rd movie in the series that things drop off precipitously. The 2nd movie is often the most entertaining of the lot.

Terminator
Lethal Weapon
Die Hard
Road Warrior
Alien

... to name a few.

Of course, everyone's opinions will vary by the series and by the movie, but I think most would agree the production value is significantly better in those second installments and they're able to have more fun with the bigger canvas once Part 1 has laid out the basis of the story. Where it is most telling is in going back and watching them years after the fact. Much easier to sit through Part 2 and be fully entertained without wondering why you thought it was so good in the first place...

Of course, I'm not going anywhere near Speed 2 and co. :)

Dan

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Frame comparisons of the THEATRICAL image and DVD image and people still don't believe the problem is there. Amazing. Just cover your eyes and the killer won't see you!
I won't address your immature remarks here,however: Those comparisons simply can't be verified since the "theatrical" frame were obtained illegaly.Until WB confirms this I'll remain a sceptic,just like you can be a believer.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I SAW the movie in a theater legally. Fork up the thousands (and however much more you need for the exhbition equipment) , and I'm sure somebody will buy a print for you to look at legally. The caps confirm human memories that unfortunately can't be posted or linked to since we're not cyborgs.

I like how you took out my smiley face in your quote too.

I don't know how the manner of the capture of the theatrical image would change the content of a super 35 film frame. Any official WB-sanctioned image could be doctored to add picture information too. I don't think that's what was done though. That would be a lot of work and would probably be shown with better quality since it would likely be made from DVD images.

If you want to make it easy for WB to sweep this under the rug, go ahead. It just makes it easier for them to get away with more zoomboxing in the future. Your PQ will be great, but you'll get MAR. You might as well just get FullFrame and watch it on a 4:3 TV if all you care about is a bigger picture.

Again, it amazes me how some people don't care when we're not talking about Back to The Future.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I won't address your immature remarks here,however: Those comparisons simply can't be verified since the "theatrical" frame were obtained illegaly.Until WB confirms this I'll remain a sceptic,just like you can be a believer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I SAW the movie in a theater legally. Fork up the thousands (and however much more you need for the exhbition equipment) , and I'm sure somebody will buy a print for you to look at legally. The caps confirm human memories that unfortunately can't be posted or linked to since we're not cyborgs.

Hey Grant, I guess some people take this to the level of the court. It's like if the search warrant was illegal, the drugs found in the house in question isn't really there and therefore is not allowed in court. It's like the cop said, "but I saw the drugs there."

Defense: your memory served you wrong.

Cop: how about these photos of the drugs in the house?

Defense: Oh, they were obtained illegally and therefore proves nothing.

Christopher D

Second Unit
OK, this is mostly OT but it looks like this thread could use some levity. While watching the Schwarzenegger inauguration, I could not get the red-tinted "Terminator Vision" and related sound effects out of my head, and imagined seeing the Chief Justice this way during the ceremony.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
If you want to make it easy for WB to sweep this under the rug, go ahead. It just makes it easier for them to get away with more zoomboxing in the future. Your PQ will be great, but you'll get MAR. You might as well just get FullFrame and watch it on a 4:3 TV if all you care about is a bigger picture.
:D This is actually quiet hillarious,I'm not against OAR at all,I don't see where you get the idea,and if this turn out to be a "misframe" and admitted by WB,I'll be the first who demand a recall.Till then all this is just a waste of time.If you want action from WB,I suggest you make contact with them instead of trying to convince the rest of the world of the "evil conspiracy" by WB in this matter,and you might actually accomplish something.
Good Luck!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I contacted WB last week, thank you. I linked the appropriate email in the "T3 Interesting Observation thread." No word back yet.

Funny, I was going to say something to that effect in my previous post, but didn't want to get too sassy seeing as how I got slammed before.

Lewis, you are quite hilarious yourself, or is that "quiet hilarious"? Anwyay, as I said, I've already contacted WB. But, if only a few people say something, I doubt they'll look into it. I'll have to hope some power players get involved since I don't have the resources to convince everyone of the problem to their satisfaction. I think the obvious truth is out there, and even if all those theaters magically showed more picture than they should have, and the zoomed in DVD is correct, it's more likely WB will address the situation one way or another if more people like me speak up. If you didn't see it in the theater or can't remember what you saw, and don't trust pictures showing what was on the silver screen, that's fine, but I'd rather you played Scully and tried to prove me wrong than continuously knock what appears to be a strong theory.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Bill Hunt over at the DigitalBits is usually pretty good at ferreting out the truth in these matters. Anyone ping them?

And Lewis, FWIW, in my experience, quotes don't seem to take the Smileys. Not sure why, but have noticed it myself.

BGL

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
But, if only a few people say something, I doubt they'll look into it.
That's the problem Grant, there are some who are so mind set on how WS is always the OAR version or the theater version that they won't question it. Without enough people questioning this, it won't be addressed or if it is, the true won't be told. These same "I'm so sure WS is the OAR" people are also the people who are strongly against any form of pirating so they won't look at any of those things for comparison. Mind you that's a good thing but what happens when question such as being dicussed here comes up? Do we just believe what we are being told and ignore "illegal" evidence?

Since this forum and many others are against pirating (again a good thing), few members will admittedly say they have seen it or they can't plead their case. This forum is the court and what evidence is being allowed is in check.

So at the end of the day, we just have to take people's memories for what it is or the whatever the studio is going to tell us.

The truth is out there though for everyone to look into.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
If you didn't see it in the theater or can't remember what you saw, and don't trust pictures showing what was on the silver screen, that's fine, but I'd rather you played Scully and tried to prove me wrong than continuously knock what appears to be a strong theory.
I did see it in the theatre,and I also thought it looked different,and I posted this did you see it?
However I also seem to remember differently of Hannibal and so is hundreds of people,though no screen capture was provided[at least to my knowledge] they all swore by it.They were all wrong!Are we wrong this time?I don't know yet. Am I sceptical about it? Hell yes! And that's all I was saying all along.
I certainly wasn't "knocking" any theory,but was unamused by your simple minded posts[I still am],which is why I will "welcome" you to my "ignore list".

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Does any one own a R4 copy of T3 in DTS and what do you think of the transfer and sound? I am thinking of getting this movie on R4 in DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks