What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" w/scrnshts (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
When you say there is more video "noise" in the picture than in X2, what exactly do you mean by noise?
When I say video noise, I mean like the background static in the image. Sometimes that "background static" is film grain, but on bigger movies, it doesn't look like film grain, it looks like "static" in an image. It's easiest to spot on solid color backgrounds. I think it is due to video compression possibly, but I am not quite sure.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Great review, Adam! Nothing would give me greater joy than picking up this DVD on its release date, but with Finding Nemo out today, Two Towers: Extended and Let It Be... Naked (okay, so it's a CD, but hey, it's the Beatles!) on the 18th, and X2 on the 25th, not to mention an oil change for my car and putting money aside for my wedding, I may wait until December to get T3.

Then again, T3 and the other DS9 sets make great wedding gifts for the groom - hint hint! ;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ok,

I'm officially very excited about getting this. I was another person who failed to see it in the theaters (just like X2, just like Matrix reloaded...DVD just makes it *so hard* to justify spending that $$ on the theater ticket) but am eager to see it projected from DVD.

GREAT REVIEW Adam. Gotta get you more server bandwidth for hosting your pics with all the hits your reviews are getting!

dave :D

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
When I say video noise, I mean like the background static in the image. Sometimes that "background static" is film grain, but on bigger movies, it doesn't look like film grain, it looks like "static" in an image. It's easiest to spot on solid color backgrounds. I think it is due to video compression possibly, but I am not quite sure.
Yes, I know what you mean. Panic Room and Spider-Man come immediately to my mind.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thanks for the review. I picked this up as I too missed it theatrically. I gave it an 8/10.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
For those who have seen the movie, here are some questions about the plot (I have already seen it):

(WARNING- Huge plot spoilers)

When the Terminator reveals that he is John Conners assassin in the future, do you think it was a warning by the Terminator, or is the future set in stone whether or not the Terminator told him?

Also,

Do you think when the Terminator changed his mind and went to Skynet to stop the countdown he knew (a) that if the countdown could be stopped the future is saved, or (b) it was hopeless anyway, and he just wanted to take them to crystal peak?

Be sure to put your answers in spoiler format...

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Saw it in the theaters - one of the more enjoyable summer flicks and contrary to popular opinion carries the Terminator franchise forward without any missteps.

It has also has one of the greatest live action stunt sequences with the oft mentioned crane.

Can't wait to see it again!

Derek P

Stunt Coordinator
David,
I read I saw the movie and read the novel and in regards to your second question I'm pretty sure (its been a couple months) the novel said

Kate's Father knew it was hopeless and wanted his daughter to live and with the Terminator's knowledge of the future he went along with it because he knew what would happen

It has been awhile but that would make sense.

And in regards to the first question we all learned in 3
that the future is set in stone nothing can be done to change it. Like stopping Judgement Day you may delay it but its going to happen no matter what you do.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see all the positive comments as I am a huge fan of the first two movies (and I had been hearing bad reviews of the movie while in the theater).

I also never remember seeing any Edge Enhancement during the movie.
I see what appears to be EE on the bottom right of the first screen shot!

:frowning:

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your excellent review, Adam! I will definitely pick this up sometime soon.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I see what appears to be EE on the bottom right of the first screen shot!
But it can't be EE... otherwise you would see it very plainly on the top of the left shoulder blade (bright white -> dark transition). Perhaps it's just a digital editing artifact (i.e. part of the original film)?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
the sound just gets better and better as the movie plays on.

picture is pretty good...slight EE on the letterboxing.

wow - nice movie despite the cast change(s).

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
dark transition).
Yeah, it's definitely not as bad on the left shoulder as the right, and the background is about the same level of darkness.

There appears to very minimal EE around the skull (if at all) that looks nothing like what is seen on the right shoulder blade.

Strange...

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I am big fan of this movie. Saw it twice in the theaters, only movies getting that honor this year so far are (X2, Kill Bill, Finding Nemo)

November is an incredible month for new DVD releases (Nemo, T3 , TT:EE , X2)

Bring em On

Raymond

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Can anyone PLEASE confirm what is is that is on the first picture? Some say edge enhancement, others say it can't be. What is it? The reason I want to know SOOOO badly is because that is exactly what I'm seeing on ALL of my DVDs! EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM including the DVDs claimed to be the most "reference" discs out there! Of course, I haven't watched those Pixar Discs yet on my TV so I don't know about those particular titles but for every live-action movie, I have see what is in that bottom right-hand side of the picture. It's an "outline" of some sort.

At first I thought it might be my HDTV, but when I was using the X1 FP, I also noticed that in the same DVD titles. So then I thought it might be my DVD player "adding" these outlines to the movies, but again I was wrong, as I can clearly see from these pictures what I can see on my TV. It's on the DVDs themselves, and I want to know what it is! Is this edge-enhancement, even though it's not a bright "white" halo?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks