What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Star Trek - The Original Series: Season Three Remastered (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Nice post there.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I think the colors (and especially the degree to which solids were used) was one of the distinguishing characteristics of several television shows of the 1960s. I actually prefer the solids (and the use of primary colors). I like them aesthetically and because to my eyes the background as a result is far less busy than what we often get with a show of today. Speculatively, I think it allows the mind to focus on something more 'stable,' if you will.

As far as Spock's Brain is concerned, those angles are one of the highlights of that episode for me. I've spoken about them a few times. I'm pleased that you thought they were interesting as well.

Enjoy The Paradise Syndrome. Part of the score has what I often refer to as the 'Bali High' theme (melodically). And in my opinion, you're right about that episode having one of the third season's better scores. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I made a cover set to hold the new DVDs...

The hassle being that the first season will have to go in a 10 disc case. For all the details and better looks at the covers just click here!

If they ever go Blu, maybe all I'll have to do is change the format logos!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Scott! And I did watch The Paradise Syndrome. Dig the Shat with pork chop side burns! That was fun to see Spock push the Enterprise to the edge. Though it seem to an act of desperation given he knows the consequences of pushing Warp 9 for that long.

I'm surprised they did not digitally remove the fly that lands on Shatner's forehead.

Scott, check out the Star Trek music thread you started, I am going to post a question there for you.

Ric, nice DVD covers as usual! You're quite the Photoshop power user! And thanks for the info on where and what to buy for the 8 and 10 disc cases. I didn't know you could buy those like that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

I think you've solved the mystery of which episode of TOS has a fly in it. Thanks!

I will check out the Star Trek music thread soon.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson, Lou, RickER,

I just watched the trailer for the first season of TOS remastered. Amazing. When I saw that there were 10 discs in the box, I was quite intrigued. The data files are impressive, aren't they? It's almost like having Okuda's Encyclopedia at your fingertips, to some degree. Methinks it won't be too long before I take the plunge.... ;)

Addendum: I just read that these are dual-sided discs (Season One). Is this true? I suppose they have to do this for HD and Standard DVD. But if this is so, this is a deal breaker for me. I will wait a few years for different packaging. :frowning:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Scott!

It's true they are dual sided discs. The beauty of them is of course, HD-DVD on one side and SD-DVD on the other. They have not been a problem for me. Assuming you do not have an HD-DVD player, then half the disc is useless to you.

If you want to collect the remastered series on standard def discs, this is the only way to go for now.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Okay, thanks. (I edited my post above yours just before you posted.)

Has the packaging for the boxed sets held up well for you? I have read some concern about both the exterior and (more often) the interior sleeves for the set. Are they difficult/cumbersome to use?

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
The packaging for my season one set was pretty messed up from the beginning. (anybody know how to get replacement for that yellow inner sleeve or print my own?) I've seen some in the stores (season 1 and 2) that are all banged up with loose discs and cracked/warped outer cases. But if you find one that looks okay in the store, you're probably fine. (mine was a gift so I didn't see it ahead of time)

troy evans

Screenwriter
Ric those custom sets look damn nice. I have your B5 custom set and this set will be my second from you. Thank You very much. Again, great work.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the kind words Troy!

If you downloaded the new set before 9:15pm EST, on 11/27, you may want to download them again. There were a few typos I had to correct!

I still haven't picked up season 3 for myself, yet. Maybe after Christmas (unless there is a Blu-ray announcement!).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here are some more thoughts about Season 3 as I watch more of the remastered episodes.

I've had an opportunity to view The Day of the Dove, The Tholian Web, Is There in Truth No Beauty and For The World is Hollow and I have Touched The Sky.

I view this season less frequently then the first 2. What I am surprised about this time around is how different the 3rd year is! I know this season as well as the first 2, more or less....less. What strikes me, or surprises me is the look of the show.

The costumes are subtly different because of the different fabric used, but I knew that years ago. The music is all new and has a different feel, though just as good as the first 2 years. The stories though and the more defined feel of the main 3 characters are more strongly portrayed.

Referring to the new remastered live action footage, the new images look on the dark side. I'll have to compare to the last DVD set. Some of the new CGI is pretty cool! The Tholian ships are somewhat similar to those redesigned for Enterprise. A surprise compared to the faithful recreation of the other ships in TOS. In the Day of the Dove, there is a fun shot of Kang's Klingon ship. As it appears, and Spock mentions that there are explosions on board. you can see hull breaches and explosions emitting from them!

When the new CGI models of the asteroid ship Yonada and the asteroid from Paradise Syndrome aired, I felt they lacked the artistic flare and otherworldly feel of the original optical effect that uses colored lighting. But seeing it now at the higher resolution and clarity of the DVD, they look pretty good!

The new shot of the Enterprise speeding into the void as an insane Lawrence Marvick is very nicely done. Same with the Enterprise flying through interspace in The Tholian Web, the model is nicely self lit. This is a really strong episode. Though I never fully understood how the Enterprise gets out of the web. I guess they use the ships power to move through interspece as the Enterprise passes through to the other universe, and back into our universe.

Well, onto the rest of the season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Nice observations there. I just had a quick comment or two regarding what you said. The third season really does feel different, doesn't it? The look and 'feel' of the characters contain some subtle differences (apart from Scotty's new hairdo ;)); there is some zooming in and out on the flashing 'red alert' light (I'm pleased they dropped that gimmick after a short time); and as you mentioned, there is new music. Stock music is, of course, still used throughout the third season. But the new scores are quite good in some instances and really do fit the episodes they are written for very nicely. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Scott, The third season does feel very different!

It's almost like there was a one year gap between the second and third season. Everyone's hair is longer, the lighting is subtly different, similar to the first season as the use of color gels is more apparent then the second season. The new remastered live action really reveals this more then before, almost like seeing it for the first time!

Each year had some really great music and there's a new batch for the second and the third. And each year has it's own distinctive sound. I agree with you, the new scores are fitting for the shows they were written for.

For a season that saw major cuts in the budgets and some lower quality stories, they really did pull off some miracles and had a few gems!

For no money, they were able to make some pretty cool space suits they only used once, added some new sets like the arboretum and extended others.

I am surprised at myself that for as long as I've been watching Star Trek, and the number of times I've seen each episode, this remastered version really feels like I'm seeing it the first time. Even though I can recite some of the dialogue still!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

And I think that those suits (from The Tholian Web) introduced us to the communicator being on the outside of 'uniforms,' didn't they? I suppose these could have occurred in TAS, but I can't recall seeing them in that series for certain.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As I recall, they used the environmental belts that created a field around them in TAS.

One thing I noticed that I never caught in Spock's Brain, after they beam down to the planet, Kirk orders everyone to adjust their temperature and they reached behind themselves to "turn" a dial to crank up the heat! I guess that cut the cost of making jackets. But I don't see why they didn't re-use those from The Cage.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I'm looking forward to getting the third season in Hi Def whenever it is offered I imagine the live action will look very nice.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sounds like an excellent trivia question!

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Now that there's a Remaster TOS Boxset (all three seasons), could anyone comment on whether the first season is still a HD-DVD/DVD Combo?

Since the 1st season used 'flipper' discs, they could have reprinted a cheaper run without HD-DVD for the new boxset.

Just curious...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Last I saw, they are still selling the first season that has the HD-DVD discs. Probably burning off all that stock.

I just saw Miri on HD-DVD again last night and it really is a treat to see in HD!

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I've heard this comment of "Spock's Brain" before concerning the temperature and, not having the episode to review, I always thought the comment regarding degrees was a command to McCoy, who was controlling Spock's movement with a remote-control device, to turn Spock in a certain direction, for example 180 degrees would be to turn Spock around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks