What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD Review: Ratatouille (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
When I looked at the back of the box to see the aspect ratio, I was slightly surprised to see that they did not include it.

The first thing that came to mind is that since the movie is available only in a 2.39:1 aspect ratio, it might turn off the parents if they saw it was only in a widescreen ratio (and a very wide aspect ratio) and maybe turn them away, so the studio left that information off purposely.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I didnt get around to seeing this one in theaters and finally watched it last night.

Really good and comes together nicely at the end.

Bird does it again.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I'd say that this is the best looking and best sounding DVD I've ever seen. (The BR disc must be amazing).

-Reagan

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
As a parent, it freaks me out that people can't manage to keep "Disc 1: Feature Film" and "Disc 2: Extra Features" straight.

Doesn't surprise me, though.

Remember the original Cars region 1 DVD? At least one other region got a 2-disc set, while the extras from the second disc were split between a Target bonus disc and a Walmart bonus disc. (I think some of the Walmart bonus disc was also included as CD-ROM content on one version of the soundtrack CD.)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks for the info on the Target bonus. . .I ended up jumping on the Amazon deal for the Cars and Rat BDs.

BarryS

Second Unit

I agree. I watched Ratatouille on a 16:9 monitor in 480p and it looks beyond amazing. I can't even imagine what 1080p would look like.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys,

I just picked up the SD DVD of Rataouille this week from best buy. the disc loaded fine and I skipped all the previews. When I got to the main menu I selected "play movie" and hit enter. After I did this I got the disney dvd logo and then the film pauses on a black screen. It sits like this unless you hit play. Once you hit play it goes to chapter 1, counts 1,2,3 and then the dvd locks up and cycles back to the original black screen and pauses itself. I can't seem to play the movie. If I go into the scene selection and select scene two I can rewind the film to the beginning and watch it. Other than that I can't actually play the movie from the set up screen (where it says to return to film) or from the main menu. The dvd player that I am using is a Sony DVP S-7700. I am just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this problem? I tried both the disc I purchased and the disc my sister purchased and both have the same issue playing on my player (both bought at different stores and locations).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Actually, this sounds like the latest attempts at copy-protection by the studios, which ironically only seem to affect Sony and Panasonic DVD players. My understanding is that they throw a bunch of fake chapters in to confuse the various copying software applications out there that can rip DVDs.

So I finally got around to watching this last night. Best movie I've seen so far this year, hands down. I should also confess that I'm a bit of a Food Network junkie, but I don't think that plays into my opinion.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator

I actually tried two seperate discs one I purchased and one my sister purchased from a different store and city. Both had the same problem

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator

This sounds quite interesting. It seems funny that they are producing discs that cause issues for the end user even if they pay for it or copy it. I guess if this is the case I have nothing I can really do, outside buying another dvd player.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I used a Sony upconverting player to view this disc for review and had no problems whatsoever. Ironically, if there had been a problem, I would have gone next to my Panasonic upconverting DVD recorder! Third choice would have been the upconverting PS3, but since I had no problems with the Sony, I didn't have to resort to the others.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Anyone here found the Easter Egg yet? Not as good as the one on Cars, but still pretty amusing. Here's how to get there:
On the right hand side of the menu, there's a pot on the stove. Highlight the pot, press enter and you'll access a segment about other titles that were considered for the project and the correct pronounciation of Ratatouille. It's tricky trying to get the pot to highlight, but trial and error seems to work.

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator

Never automatically assume it is the disc (or in this case discs) until you have tried them in at least one other player that is a differnt model if not also a differnt brand. I have a couple of DVDs that my main player absolutely refuses to play and they work perfectly in my 'back-up' player and in my computer's DVD-ROM drive.

I've read here in the past that if a problem with one or more players is widespread enough, the studio will sometimes offer a replacement disc that has been reauthored to 'play nice' with the affected DVD hardware.

I would definately let Disney DVD Technical Support know:

http://studio.go.com/cgi-bin/gmail/g...lem/report.tpl

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dustin, I am going to send them an email and see what their response is (if they respond at all).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"which ironically only seem to affect Sony and Panasonic DVD players. "

Interesting.

BTW I have a Pioneer player.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. The advice I got from Disney was to clean the disc of all dust and if it still doesn't work I should try it in another player. LOL Thanks again to those who answered in this thread as I got way more information from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks