What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD Review: Ratatouille (1 Viewer)

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator

I did succumb to the age-old trap of the internet of reading a comment and taking it at face value. From the press releases and other product literature I could find, you are correct in that there is NO commentary on the Blu-Ray disc either. My anger is now at a 7 instead of a 9.

That being said, I'm still writing my letter to WDHE. Thanks for pointing out my shortcoming Travis, I will try to be better in the future!

BarryS

Second Unit

So if that's the reason for the lack of extras (parents being annoyed by 2 discs and not having the movie start up right away) then why are the recent Disney Platinum editions such as Lady and the Tramp and The Jungle Book both two discs loaded with extras? Is Disney only willing to lavish this treatment upon their own animated classics? Are Cars and Ratatouille less worthy because they're not made by Disney and they're not 40 years old?

Edit: The article mentioned above is now located at:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...f-why-for.aspx

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
For me, the extras mean very little...when I see how beautiful this transfer was, especially the blu-ray, I am more than pleased and smiled all the way through the movie at just that, plus there are the extras that are already there. I have yet to watch the extras on many of my dvd's and probably won't, it's the movie that matters to me. I do understand there are others who like a commentary, but I would be willing to bet a good percentage of people don't listen to them.

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that there is a Commentary on the Blu-ray...
It's under the "Cine Explorer" bonus feature.

* “Cine-Explore” is a revolutionary and innovative new feature that truly uses Picture-in-Picture (not video but still images). It combines the abilities to display on-screen still images and the traditional Audio Commentary to deliver a really unique viewing experience

That's from the Blu-ray Review.

So YES, there is a commentary on the BD.

Wow, I almost just assumed that some internet hack was right when saying there isn't one on the Blu-ray.

I think I will get the BD as it has everything I want on a disc.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
At the risk of getting flamed (and I don't think I should be for this), I'm going to paraphrase Bill Hunt on why this strategy actually makes more sense. Films that are 40 years old have more historical context built in and therefore justify a 2-disc release. Not to say that Ratatouille or Cars do not justify these types of releases in and of themselves, but when looking back from a historical standpoint, future generations may look at a release and say, "Why on earth did THIS get a 2-disc release? Most of these special features are useless." I believe Bill used the Planet of the Apes remake as an example of why a 2-disc initially isn't prudent.

The other point here is commentaries: directors are motivated to be less than honest about the qualities of a film in the period leading up to and shortly after release (which is the time that most commentaries are recorded for new releases). They're trying to move "product", artistic intentions be damned. Give a director 5 years and the commentary will not only be more "honest", but more interesting.

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator

Your point is one that is fully supported by a lot of data points that have come out from various consumer surveys.

My iPod is used to listen to audiobooks, commentaries, and spoken word podcasts 95% of the time. Music is a very low priority for my personal digital media consumption.

On a Windows Weekly with Paul Thurott and Leo Laporte a while back, a member of the Zune team shared their market research with listeners which stated that only roughly 15% of portable media player owners listen to audiobooks and spoken word content.

By extension, it would stand to reason that far fewer people listen to commentaries because the DVD market is presumably less tech savy than the PMP market. This is probably even more true of the core Disney Market.

Warner Bros. has stated that they have also backed away from commentaries based on their own research as well.

All that being said, patterns were established that prominent titles get the lavish treatment. Especially Pixar titles. To see the pull-back is disquieting. DVD was sold on the prospect for Special Features (including Commentaries). Now that DVD is extremely mainstream, we seem to have settled into the VHS Movie-Only rut. (Same sales, less authoring cost). Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are now the home for the special features we know and love. What happens when HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray are mainstream? (I know, I couldn't type that with a straight face...sorry). Will they take away the features and make it a Digital Distribution Exclusive?

As far as the question of Run of the Mill vs. the Platinum Editions. I believe that the perceived "historicity" of these titles trump the market research. The market for the platinum editions should skew slightly older and therefore can safely house the bonus features.

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the Commentary on the Blu-ray disc:

The commentary is part if the "Cine Explorer" feature.

And Pixar went above and beyond with the commentaries with both Ratatouille and Cars...
The commentaries on these discs have also been translated and dubbed in many foreign languages.

Can someone please tell me of other discs or studios that have actually dubbed commentaries in other languages?
I would really like to know about other commentaries in foreign languages (especially French or Italian).

Thanks

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

I agree that, first and foremost, I look for a quality audio and video transfer. And, with most films, I honestly don't mind if there are few bonus materials included.

But Pixar has a history of including extras that are not only interesting... they're FUN TO WATCH!

It would be one thing if no commentary or extra features were created for CARS or RATATOUILLE, but, based on the existence of the Target bonus DVD for each of those releases, the materials were created.

That, for me, is what's disappointing. Don't tell me Disney couldn't have included them on a second DVD for both films at minimal additional cost. Or, why couldn't they follow the model that other studios are using and release both a 1-disc and 2-disc version on the same day?

And, for the record, I bought both DVDs...from Target! Argh! Couldn't resist, and I certainly couldn't withhold them from my kids.

Speaking of kids, I resent the idea that most parents get these movies just to buy themselves time to work or whatever. I'll admit that my wife and I are sometimes guilty of using the TV to entertain the kids while we do the bills or clean house. But, when a new Pixar film is released, we make it a family event. We all gather in front of the screen, cuddle up on the couch with popcorn, and experience the film as a family. Afterward, we talk about what we liked best about the movie.

Unfortunately, I know that's not the case for some parents, and it saddens me to think about it. But not all parents fall into that group!

Also, when I accidentally play a "making-of" featurette or commentary track when the kids ask for a film, their IMMEDIATE RESPONSE is a passionate, "DAD. DAD. THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT THE MOVIE AGAIN. WE WANT TO HEAR THE REAL MOVIE." *grin*

[Yes, I'm working on them on this issue...!]

mattl

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I like the extras, but a lack of extras have never prevented me from buying a release. Having more extras on another format has though. I'm in no rush to jump into the HD waters till there is a single format. If studios want to put extra features (I could give a shit about the games, but those "in the movie" documentaries and such can be pulled out of the movie and put on disc 2) on their HD discs to entice people into a format, they can fuck themselves. I can easily pick this up at a pawn shop for $8 in a few weeks, and Disney sees none of the money that I would of spent tonight on it (about $22).

And Disney dropping the second disc due to parent complaints is retarded. If your a parent and that piss poor at raising your children that you have to pressure movie studios to make the movies play faster for your whiny spawn, perhaps you should spend that letter writing time in reading a book on how to raise kids with a trait called "PATIENCE". And if your a parent and just don't have the time in this busy world, then you probably shouldn't of had kids in the first place.

Otherwise, great review! Can't wait to watch this in a few weeks! :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jesus Christ, you're calling me an 'internet hack' because I looked at the press release that didn't mention a commentary and posted that info.

Normally, I'd apologize for the bum stear but due to your shitty attitude, I'll skip that apology.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Warning

Guys, stop this bickering and get this thread back on track.

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator
The Commentary is very enjoyable.

I was unaware that calling someone a hack was much worse than putting Jeasus Christ and shitty in my post.

So, Jeasus Christ this is one great commentary.
I wish it was on the Shitty standard def DVD though.

Sorry if I offended you Robert.
You run a nice site.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I am bummed about the lack of extras here, as I was with Cars.

It seems like everyday a new front is being opened on the Format Wars.

Since animation benefits less on the trip to HD, I guess extras will be the item held back for BD release.

I own HD-DVD, so the DVD will have to do for Cars and Rat.

BarryS

Second Unit

Well, that makes sense, but it still makes me wonder why Disney would risk drawing the ire of parents who just want the movie. Why not release separate 1-disc and 2-disc editions? Let the easily-annoyed parents have theirs, and let us have ours.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

how about instead of selling two versions, just put out the 2 disc version at the price of the single like they used to do. Have the movie on disc one with the "quick play" feature for the parents, and then those easily annoyed parents can just toss disc 2 since it seems to ruin their life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks