HTF DVD REVIEW - Psych: The Complete Second Season

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kevin EK, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

[​IMG]

psych

THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON
    [​IMG]

Studio: Universal
    Original Broadcast: 2007-2008
    Length: 11 hours 26 mins
    Genre: Crime Solving Comedy

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
    Color/B&W: Color

Audio:
    English Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles: English SDH

Rating: Unrated (TV-safe crime scenes & violence)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Release Date: July 8, 2008

Rating:

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I really enjoy the show for its mapcap sense of humor. The mysteries are feather-light, but the real enjoyment for me is seeing Roday and Hill spar good-naturedly on their path to each mystery's solution. Certainly not a great series but a fun one for me.

Thanks for the review, Kevin.

3. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Agreed, Matt. I never miss an episode and am watching season one again this week. Many hilarious 80's pop-culture references keep the humor fast and mad. Love it.

Thanks for the Review, Kevin!

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Creator/show runner Steve Franks has said that his goal with "Psych" was to create a light detective series along the lines of shows he enjoyed when he was younger like "Magnum PI" and "Moonlighting". In other words, 80s nostalgia is not only an element of the show, it is also the impetus for the show. [​IMG]

Regards,

5. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

I would definitely agree that "Moonlighting" was very much a light detective series. But not "Magnum P.I." While the series definitely had lighter moments and the 5th and 6th seasons tended to be a bit jokier, there were plenty of very serious shows. My favorite episodes - "Memories are Forever" and "Did You See the Sunrise?" are solid dramatic pieces. And that's just two out of many - while the series was known for the camaraderie and the Magnum-Higgins feuding, it also had plenty of depth when it needed it.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I did not say "light detective series" in any pejorative context, and it certainly does not imply a lack of depth (that would be a "shallow" detective series). The tone on Magnum PI was usually fairly light, which actually added to its depth by making the episodes and moments where things got more serious stand out in relief. There are not a lot of detective series on the air these days that can actually successfully pull off "light".

Regards,

7. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

I'd agree with that. I don't think anyone would say that "NYPD Blue" was anything like "light". And I agree "Magnum PI" took a light tone whenever it could - it just had much more to offer. Psych, on the other hand, is pretty much a full-time "light" series. I'm not putting it down, but I just need a little more meat on the bones to keep me going.