Year: 2001
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Film Length: 85 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 Non-Anamorphic
Audio: Dolby 2.0 Stereo (French)
Subtitles: English

US DVD Release Date: April 1, 2008

Movie: :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Mademoiselle is a rather predictable French romantic drama from director Phillipe Lioret. Claire (Sandrine Bonnaire) is a regional sales manager who is continuously crossing paths with Pierre (Jacques Gamblin), an improvisational actor/artist, while attending a company sales convention. They become more and more attracted to each other while Claire tries to get home to her husband and children after missing the tour bus at the hotel. The story is told in one long flashback when Claire passes a theatre where a play written by Pierre is being performed. Mademoiselle is light, witty, entertaining, but not very memorable.

Video: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Presented in a disappointing 1.85:1 non-anamorphic widescreen transfer, the image is often washed out, with a lack of detail and muted colors, and occasional video dropouts. A non-anamorphic widescreen release is almost unheard of in 2008. What is odd is that the region 2 release by Warner back in 2001 claims to have an anamorphic widescreen transfer.

Audio: :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

The Dolby 2.0 Stereo soundtrack provided on this release is adequate, and does its job nicely, especially in Pro-Logic mode. This is a very dialogue-driven film, and although I do not speak French, the actors voices were clear and centered, with the music and atmospheric effects pleasantly surrounding you. Although I do not think a 5.1 mix would make much difference, again the region 2 release included both Dolby 5.1 and DTS tracks.

Special Features: None/:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Synkronized USA has released Mademoiselle with no special features.

Overall: :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

While disappointed in the video quality and lack of special features on this DVD, I was entertained. At the very least, as a rental, it does add some foreign film flavor to a date night at home.

This DVD was reviewed on the following home theater gear:
Toshiba 56HM66 DLP HDTV
Sony Playstation 3 (upconverting to 1080i)
Yamaha HTR-5940 Home Theater Receiver (in 5.1 configuration)
Yamaha NS-AP2600 Home Cinema Speaker Package
Yamaha YST-SW010 subwoofer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks