What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Two-Disc Special Edition (1 Viewer)

thisisfrancis

Auditioning
Real Name
Francis

Warner got a fair amount of press regarding the inclusion of digital downloads, and perhaps it's a step in the right direction, but some lawyers and executives certainly got their say in with regards to the DRM and license. The DRM is Windows Media PlaysForSure/Vista-Certified, which I'm not even sure plays on Microsoft's own Zune portable, much less the iPod. Then there's the license agreement, here are some choice quotes:

"You may not copy (for back-up purposes or otherwise) the Digital Content, including, without limitation, on removable media (e.g., recordable DVD). Warner Bros. will not replace the Digital Content if you are unable to play it of if you lose the Digital Content including if the Digital Content becomes damaged or corrupt, your Authorized Device crashes, your hard drive fails or the Digital Content does not play for any other reason."

So, you can't back it up and if it somehow gets damaged, too bad for you!

"You are only allowed to use the authorization code one time to obtain the electronic playback license. If you lose your authorization code or attempt to use it more than one time, you will not be provided with the electronic playback license or access to the Digital Content."

You're not allowed to use the code more than once. I can understand that maybe you might want to allow only a limited number of authorized devices at any given time, but in this case it's really a one-shot deal here- use it or lose it (and no access or transfer of rights if you sell your dvds, etc). You also can't bring it with you if you upgrade to a new laptop/computer, etc.

I haven't tried copying or playing the files on another machine, but I'm assuming a license has been downloaded into Windows Media player which restricts it to the machine. What's the point of having multiple machines like a Media Center PC hooked up to a TV and a laptop that you use for travel with restrictions like this? People have been talking about "convergence" for a long time, but DRM and draconian licensing of content is still holding it back. And studios wonder why software like DVD rippers are so popular...?

Francis

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Sorry, sorta assumed everyone here knew what VOB files are. Essentially they are DVD quality versions of the the trailer. So if you really want that Order of the Phoenix trailer, you can download the VOB format trailer and burn it to a DVD blank and watch it on your tv.*

-paul

*i think there's a little more to it than just that but you get my drift. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks