What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD Review: Car 54 Where Are You? The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

But I do wonder who these fans are that wanted this, if their claims are to be believed? Never seen such a request at any forum over the years for any tv series. Everyone either wants production order or seeing them in the order they aired, depending on what is most appropriate for a specific series. This was certainly a odd decision...

Yeah, that's always been the debate... Production order vs. original airdate.

Some series, like Firefly, needed to be released in production order, and were. Some, like Star Trek: TOS or Sliders, should have been released in production order because of the changes that happened in the first episodes, and weren't. But for the majority of classic sitcoms and dramas, it doesn't really matter which was used, because there was no major story-arc to interfere with.

But this "most popular" thing... it's a new one on me, and one I hope to never see again.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I printed out the correct airdate order and plan to watch them in that order. Just glad it is out.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I'm just happy to have gotten this show on DVD, especially nowadays when season sets of classic shows from the 50s and 60s on regular dvd are almost done to zero. And to get all the episodes with such good picture quality and completely uncut; I'm happy. As long as all the episodes are there and uncut, I don't mind the order; I can determine that myself.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Yeah, that's always been the debate... Production order vs. original airdate.

Some series, like Firefly, needed to be released in production order, and were. Some, like Star Trek: TOS or Sliders, should have been released in production order because of the changes that happened in the first episodes, and weren't. But for the majority of classic sitcoms and dramas, it doesn't really matter which was used, because there was no major story-arc to interfere with.

But this "most popular" thing... it's a new one on me, and one I hope to never see again.

My guess is that the concept of most popular order was created by some innovative marketing genius who thought that, if the best episodes were on the first disk, that would increase the initial positive buzz about the show.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man /forum/thread/310516/htf-dvd-review-car-54-where-are-you-the-complete-first-season/30#post_3800929

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

See, that's stupid fanboy entitlement. The episodes are there, uncut and looking pretty good. Sure, the packaging is kind of crappy, and the episode order is dumb. But a recall when there's nothing wrong, and people threatening to buycott the next season because of it?

That's dumb.

However, who cares if people don't buy season 2 for some stupid reason? There are only two seasons, and with as high up as this season made it on Amazon's top 100, it's a sure bet season it's sold well enough to guarantee season 2. And season 2 is the final season, anyway. So anyone who doesn't buy S2 for one reason or another won't hurt the chances of getting the series finished.
Absolutely! I don't understand that mentality either. When reading those posts I was thinking "but there are only 2 seasons so who cares if you boycot?". It really comes off as worthless posturing to impress their "friends".

While I'd be happy for a recall to correct the running order and bad packaging, something I doubt will occur, it's not enough of a issue for me to come anywhere close to a boycot or to discourage anyone from getting the first season. It's inconvenient, yes, but not a deal breaker. My set should arrive tomorrow so I really don't know yet how bad the packaging is but I'll still be doing another rare-for-me pre-order just as soon as S2 goes up for sale at amazon.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks to a negative "review" at amazon I got this:

DISC#1 EPISODE 6,19,15,23, 26,24,25,5

DISC#2 EPISODE 4,28,16,11,9,27,30,29

DISC#3 EPISODE 13,14,7,22,12,1,17,21

DISC#4 EPISODE 2,8,10,20,3,18

BUT... that list *must* be production order 'cause they're nowhere near the airing order according to imdb. I was unable to locate a production order list so if that's not correct please let me know!

Using that supposed production order combined with the disk episode list I posted above we get:

Disc 1:
6. What Happened to Thursday (25:36)
19. No More Pickpockets (25:35)
15. Quiet! We’re Thinking (25:51)
23. The Gypsy Curse (25:32)
26. Love Finds Muldoon (25:30)
24. Who’s for Swordfish? (25:26)
25. Toody’s Paradise (25:30)
5. The Beast Who Walked the Bronx (25:30)

Disc 2:
4. Put it In the Bank (25:25)
28. The Courtship of Sylvia Schnauser (25:26)
16. The Taming of Lucille (25:36)
11. Toody and the Art World (25:37)
9. Boom, Boom, Boom (25:28)
27. Toody and Muldoon Crack Down (25:55)
30. Home Sweet Sing Sing (25:11)
29. Catch Me on the Paar Show (25:24)

Disc 3:
13. How Smart Can You Get? (25:23)
14. I Love Lucille (25:31)
7. Something Nice for Sol (25:36)
22. The Auction (25:19)
12. Today I Am a Man (25:31)
1. How High is Up? (25:31)
17. Change Your Partner (25:17)
21. Muldoon’s Star(25:24)

Disc 4:
2. The Paint Job (25:21)
8. I Won’t Go (25:24)
10. Get Well, Officer Schnauzer (25:34)
20. Thirty Days Notice (25:37)
3. The Sacrifice (25:29)
18. Christmas at the 53rd (25:34)

Now... using the air date order we get this:

Disc 1:
22. What Happened to Thursday (25:36) - 18/Feb/62
25. No More Pickpockets (25:35) - 11/Mar/62
29. Quiet! We’re Thinking (25:51) - 08/Apr/62
9. The Gypsy Curse (25:32) - 12/Nov/61
8. Love Finds Muldoon (25:30) - 05/Nov/61
1. Who’s for Swordfish? (25:26) - 17/Sep/61
19. Toody’s Paradise (25:30) - 28/Jan/62
26. The Beast Who Walked the Bronx (25:30) - 18/Mar/62
Disc 2:
13. Put it In the Bank (25:25) - 10/Dec/61
27. The Courtship of Sylvia Schnauser (25:26) - 25/Mar/62
12. The Taming of Lucille (25:36) - 03/Dec/61
21. Toody and the Art World (25:37) - 11/Feb/62
17. Boom, Boom, Boom (25:28) - 14/Jan/62
18. Toody and Muldoon Crack Down (25:55) - 21/Jan/62
3. Home Sweet Sing Sing (25:11) - 01/Oct/61
11. Catch Me on the Paar Show (25:24) - 26/Nov/61
Disc 3:
23. How Smart Can You Get? (25:23) - 25/Feb/62
30. I Love Lucille (25:31) - 22/Apr/62
2. Something Nice for Sol (25:36) - 24/Sep/61
28. The Auction (25:19) - 01/Apr/62
24. Today I Am a Man (25:31) - 04/Mar/62
20. How High is Up? (25:31) - 04/Feb/62
4. Change Your Partner (25:17) - 08/Oct/61
6. Muldoon’s Star(25:24) - 22/Oct/61
Disc 4:
7. The Paint Job (25:21) - 29/Oct/61
5. I Won’t Go (25:24) - 15/Oct/61
14. Get Well, Officer Schnauzer (25:34) - 17/Dec/61
10. Thirty Days Notice (25:37) - 19/Nov/61
16. The Sacrifice (25:29) - 07/Jan/62
15. Christmas at the 53rd (25:34) - 24/Dec/61

And finally, air date order with disk # info:

1. Who’s for Swordfish? (Disc 1)
2. Something Nice for Sol (Disc 3)
3. Home Sweet Sing Sing (Disc 2)
4. Change Your Partner (Disc 3)
5. I Won’t Go (Disc 4)
6. Muldoon’s Star (Disc 3)
7. The Paint Job (Disc 4)
8. Love Finds Muldoon (Disc 1)
9. Gypsy Curse (Disc 1)
10. Thirty Days Notice (Disc 4)
11. Catch Me on the Paar Show (Disc 2)
12. The Taming of Lucille (Disc 2)
13. Put It In the Bank (Disc 2)
14. Get Well, Officer Schnauzer (Disc 4)
15. Christmas at the 53rd (Disc 4)
16. The Sacrifice (Disc 4)
17. Boom, Boom, Boom (Disc 2)
18. Toody and Muldoon Crack Down (Disc 2)
19. Toody’s Paradise (Disc 1)
20. How High Is Up? (Disc 3)
21. Toody and the Art World (Disc 2)
22. What Happened to Thursday? (Disc 1)
23. How Smart Can You Get? (Disc 3)
24. Today I Am a Man (Disc 3)
25. No More Pickpockets (Disc 1)
26. The Beast Who Walked the Bronx (Disc 1)
27. The Courtship of Sylvia Schnauzer (Disc 2)
28. The Auction (Disc 3)
29. Quiet! We’re Thinking (Disc 1)
30. I Love Lucille (Disc 3)

So pick your favorite way to watch.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Who's For Swordfish" I am very sure IS the pilot. The idea that it was produced 24th but aired first makes no sense to me (Al Lewis for instance is not present).

I'm just going with the airdate order.

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
There are legitimate reasons for insisting on a correct episode order (by broadcast or production order) even on a sitcom with no continuing story arc. Shows like this develop around the chemistry of the stars and the ensemble and seeing the correct order allows you to watch that development. It can seem very spotty when viewed out of order.

In the case of "Car 54," there is also the added fun of seeing the supporting characters added into the cast as the show develops. Al Lewis didn't join the cast until a few episodes in, but he made a guest appearance in another one-off role BEFORE he joined as Officer Schnauser. By seeing the shows in correct order, we see his first appearance as a kind of try-out for the show before he takes his place in the squad. Essential to the understanding of the show? Not necessarily, but part of the rewards of revisiting the series in the proper order that you miss in this collection. Unless you go to the trouble to find the correct order and program your own viewing schedule.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My set just arrived. I have now found a new level of "bad" in digipak design as well as overall packaging. I've always felt sets that open like a book *need* a slipcase of some sort to help protect the DVDs. I have a few British releases with this book-like design and do not like it. It feels flimsy. While that type of packag is definitely bad this new digipak design is only marginally better than a cardboard sleeve. "Push down, pull up" is *not* a accurate way to describe how to remove the disk from the tray. It's more like *pull* down, *lift* up. My set arrived with 2 floaters, fortunately neither disk was damaged. I plan to use a "clear" amaray type case of a size to allow the digipak to be removed from the cardboard shell and used like a "normal" cover unless I can locate one I can simply print out and use.

Someone needs to show them how "Dennis the Menace" was packaged. That's the way it *should* be done!

Now that I've vented... I'm off to watch Episode 1!

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
My set arrived today, crushed, with small pieces rattling around inside the plastic wrap. So, it's back to Amazon and I will have to wait until they ship a replacement.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've watched the first 4 episodes (in air date order) and have another couple of complaints:

When an episode ends the next automatically starts rather than going back to the menu!
There is no closed-captioning *or* subtitles!

I've not yet checked for chapter stops but don't expect to find any.

On the plus side:

Getting to the menu is quick and painless as you can FF through the warning/logo and there's no annoying animation to drag things down. Considering the need to change disks often to watch in air-date order this is a very good thing. It doesn't hurt that I dislike "cute" and/or animated menus.

The biggest plus is the A/V quality. For a show of this vintage it's *very* good.

Watching this program is almost a new discovery for me as I was only able to watch it a few times during the initial run due to the day/time it aired. I don't ever recall it being in re-runs in this area. Even with these additional complaints, the poor excuse for packaging, and nuisance of constantly changing disks to watch in the correct order I can hardly wait for S2 to arrive!

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I think thru feedback they'll get season 2 done right. It really needs to be in @ least broadcast order (if not produced order, which is my preference) to avoid what some purists are having to do (see above comment)... As to the next set, i'm wondering what extra(s - if any) will be included? Maybe more of the roundtable, or a mini-bio on Hiken? I wouldn't even mind a brief history and visit to Biograph Studios...

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I really think they used poor judgement when doing the disc in "popularity" order - a handful of so-called experts and buffs (I want names,people! - was Martin Grams, author of the book on "54,Where are you?" one of the people?) decided for us "other" fans the order how WE should view the season.

Finally an independent release that does it right with the quality of the prints - then they botch it with this "popularity" order.

Broadcast or production order is the norm for 99.99% of the sets out there,so why do it this way. It's poor planing and poor judgement on the part of the company.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Though I think they were incorrect in deciding what order to arrange the episodes, I am just glad to have them.

-Rodney

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
My DVD set arrived in the post today. Apart from a tiny dent to the corner of the cardboard packaging, on initial viewing everything is fine. One disc was slightly out of place (the disc in the top left hand side), but it wasn't loose. I was surprised at how quick it arrived (quicker than Here's Lucy: Season Four).

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I am kind of surprised by the ranking of some of these episodes. These are my top episodes.

Boom, Boom, Boom(2)

What Happened to Thursday?(1)

No More Pickpockets(1)

Who's For Swordfish?(1)

The Beast Who Walked the Bronx(1)

Put It In the Bank(2)

Thirty Days Notice(4)

I Won't Go(4)

Get Well Officer Schnauser(4)

Something Nice For Sol(3)

How High Is Up?(3)

The Courtship of Sylvia Schnauser(2)

What is interesting is that several of these ended up in the 3rd and 4th episodes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P

"Who's For Swordfish" I am very sure IS the pilot. The idea that it was produced 24th but aired first makes no sense to me (Al Lewis for instance is not present).

I'm just going with the airdate order.

Actually, there is an unaired pilot for the series, called The Snow Whites. I told someone at the company about its existence and where they could access it. Why they didn't include it, I don't know. You'd think it would have made a great extra and it too is owned by the Hiken estate. By the way, something I heard a while back is that the reason the show only went 2 seasons is that NBC wanted an ownership stake in the series and when they were turned down, that's when they canceled the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks