What's new

HTF DVD REVIEW: Cannon: Season Two, Volume One (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ronsreviews_covers_14576480.jpg

Cannon: Season Two, Volume One
Directed by Phil Leacock et al

Studio: Paramount
Year: 1972
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Running Time: 609 minutes
Rating: NR
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 mono English
Subtitles: CC
MSRP: $ 39.99

Release Date: June 2, 2009
Review Date: May 29, 2009

The Series

3/5

Frank Cannon was something of an anomaly in the world of TV private investigators. Oh, sure, he could karate chop with the best of them when things got tough, but otherwise, he was nothing like his more sophisticated and stylish counterparts from the 1950s (77 Sunset Strip), the 1960s (Burke's Law, Mannix), or the 1970s (The Rockford Files). Overweight, dour, and operating as a lone agent without secretary or sidekick, Frank Cannon was a most atypical TV private eye. And yet, he flourished in a crime drama series that ran for five very successful seasons, yet another in the spokes of the drama wheel manufactured by TV entrepreneur Quinn Martin. This box set with the first twelve episodes from Season Two represent the series moving toward the apex of its popularity. It finished the season ranking as the fourteenth most popular series on network television and collected an Emmy Award nomination as the Best Drama Series.

Character actor William Conrad stepped from the shadows of others’ stardom to become a star in his own right with the role of Frank Cannon, and his work this season earned him an Emmy nomination as Best Dramatic Actor. With an imposing presence despite being somewhat short and overweight (which he himself drew attention to often during the course of the series), Conrad’s stentorian voice (which had been used for voiceover work in everything from The Fugitive to The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle as well as starring on radio as the voice of Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke) served him very well as the focal point of this otherwise fairly average drama series. In this first half of the season two episodes, Cannon sometimes goes undercover to get to the bottom of his cases (e.g. posing as a disgraced cop eager to join the mob). At other times, he’s simply digging into the crimes which the police have either abandoned or failed to properly investigate the first time. The shows are all closed ended so that by the end of the fifty minutes of program, the case has always been resolved. Unlike some of his contemporaries, Cannon regularly gets hurt, either by shooting or in fights or ambushes though obviously he will live to fight another day. Such are the comforts in series television of this era.

With no regular supporting cast, Cannon resorts to an unusually heavy load of guest stars. Among them are Michael Tolan, Larry Linville, Richard Hatch, Lloyd Bochner, Micky Dolenz, Jessica Walter, Robert Webber, Patrick O'Neal, Belinda Montgomery, Mike Farrell, Sheree North, Phyllis Thaxter, Rosemary Murphy. Dana Elcar, George Maharis, Stephanie Powers, Robert Mandan, Max Gail, Kathleen Freeman, Clu Gulager, Julie Adams, Lois Nettleton, William Daniels, Louise Troy, Alex Rocco, Neva Patterson, Andrew Duggen, and Carl Betz.

Here is the rundown of episodes contained in this box set. This particular Quinn Martin production followed a four-act scenario with no epilog present in the episodes presented here:

1 - Bad Cats and Sudden Death
2 - Sky Above, Death Below
3 - Bitter Legion
4 - That Was No Lady
5 - Stakeout
6 - The Predators
7 - A Long Way Down
8 - The Rip-Off
9 - Child of Fear
10 - The Shadow Man
11 - Hear No Evil (complicated blackmail scheme is my favorite episode in the set)
12 - The Endangered Species

The cover art displays the usual caveat about the possibility of editing, but as all of these episodes seemed exactly the same length, if there is editing, it has been minimal.

Video Quality

3/5

The program’s original 1.33:1 television aspect ratio is faithfully rendered in these transfers. Unlike some of Paramount’s premiere classic series like Mission Impossible or Hawaii Five-O, the masters for Cannon are decidedly inferior in sharpness, color stability, and cleanliness. There are speckles and occasional scratches, and the image is never as sharp as one would hope. Color is sometimes fine but at other times either washed out or overly saturated. Blacks are very inky, but shadow detail is sometimes obscured by crushed blacks. Without anamorphic enhancement, there are jaggies, moiré patterns, and pixilation occasionally. Each episode has been divided into 6 chapters without the promos or an additional chapter if they‘re selected.

Audio Quality

3/5

The Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio mix is very typical television sound of its era. Fidelity is limited, and ADR is often very obvious. Still the dialogue has been recorded well and is always discernible.

Special Features

½ /5

Each of the twelve series episodes offers a network promo which runs about 30 seconds. The viewer has the choice of watching the episodes with or without the promos.

There are trailers for Mannix, Mission Impossible, and Hawaii Five-O.

In Conclusion

3/5 (not an average)

Cannon is an above average crime drama of the period, and this box set offers the first half of one of the show’s better seasons. A lack of any bonus material won’t matter to fans who want more of the adventures of Frank Cannon.

Matt Hough
Charlotte, NC

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Since this is a Paramount release *and* a Quinn Martin Production, the question has to be asked regarding music replacement. (And don't forget that the Fugitive music replacement didn't start until the second season.)

So ... Are there any noticeable drastic changes to the underscore?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I imagine the non-remastering is what's getting this series released. It's a shame. I would have hoped that having all releases feature digital remastering would be a rule that CBS/Paramount would hold to and not break.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

It would be nice if Paramount would have digitally remastered Cannon. I agree with you that Cannon not being remastered is probably the only reason why it is being released on DVD. I just hope Paramount will keep on releasing Cannon on DVD until the entire series and The Return Of Frank Cannon are released on DVD. If not the entire series, Paramount please release at least the first 3 Seasons on DVD. The 3rd Season of Cannon is the best season probably so I will be happy if we at least get all of Season 3 released. Thanks again Paramount!

Robert

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Cannon was a good show and my young children even enjoy it. William Conrad is very charming as Cannon. It is funny how they have him at the receiving end of so many weight jabs when his weight is very typical for today. Another interesting contrast is the difference between him and another very popular P.I. of the early 70's--Rockford. While the police love Cannon and give him their full cooperation, Rockford is always treated like a pariah. He not only gets no respect or assistance (accept from Dennis) but they always threaten him with having his ticket pulled or incarceration.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Cannon is an ex-cop. Rockford - a guy who served time after being wrongly convicted.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Canon used to have a slogan for their copiers years ago in which they said " Canon can ". Mentally - I find myself remembering the dang thing when at the show's opening the announcer says "Cannon" I seem to add the "can" after it. Not sure how I tied the two together back when the show originally aired but it stuck. Enjoying them regardless!

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
I just bought it last week it was good and I plan on buying vol.2 and the other
seasons when they ever get released

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Another thing interesting about Cannon is that he was part of the movement away from the stereotypical hero. Back in the 1960's we started seeing heroes that were not the typical, lantern jawed, GQ models without flaws. There was Ironsides, Longstreet, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Columbo and others. Even a handsome James Gardner played an atypical, luckless P.I..

The 60's and 70's brought us some of the best television and police dramas were a big part of that.

While some may scoff at William Conrad playing the hero they are off base. He plays one of the most empathetic, charming detectives on TV. He does an excellent job acting and is quite believable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks