What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: "Alien: Quadrilogy" w/ ton's of screenshots! Highly Recommended! (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
Disappointing that Aliens transfer really isn't improved. I think I'll have to skip this one.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Adam, thanks for the review, I can't wait until Tuesday so I can experience this set and the horror that is the packaging.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Just finished the Alien 3 discs.

Things I liked:

Alien 3 is a much better film now with the new footage.

Audio quality is very good, though some of the new footage has its problems, such as low audio in some scenes. But for the most part the new stuff is understandable.

Things I didn't like:

Audio commentary. Even thought it is informative at points, its lacks the interest of the Alien/Aliens commentaries. There are bigs gaps of no talking in the SE, and it makes you wonder if there was more there, but removed by Fox at the last second.

The obvious disappointment here is the extras. As we all know now, they where trimmed at the last second by Fox. The extras are very good to a point, but it would have been nice to see all the problems and frustration that Fincher had to deal with from Fox. Some of this is seen, but quickly glossed over.

Tuesday I visit the train wreck that is called Alien Resurrection.

Joe

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
WOW.

That was one amazing review. AMAZING.

I had planed specifically *not* to buy this set (I have the old one) but now I'm being sorely tempted!!!

Good job Adam!

dave :)

Will K

Screenwriter
Just a few quick thoughts...

The fold-out packaging is more than a bit cumbersome. What were they thinking?

The new cut of Alien 3 is terrific. Aside from the minor problems with the new footage, I had no problem with it. I do think it's an improvement, though I liked the movie to begin with. It's really astonishing how many chunks of footage were just thrown to the wind. The theatrical cut looks postively butchered by comparison. (There's a bit too much praying in the new cut, but why carp? We've been waiting on this forever.)

Alien Resurrection also benefits with new footage. Much-hated by many, it probably won't change those minds, but those of us who kinda liked it will find it a bit more satisfying and less choppy(I find it difficult to understand why the director thinks the theatrical version was better). The new "bug" opening shot is uh, interesting. The best added footage is character moments sprinkled throughout that make the film feel a bit smoother. Most of the death scenes are slightly gorier as well. I also liked the new post-apocalyptic Paris ending, which better explains Johner's earlier comment "Earth. What a shithole."

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Adam - GREAT stuff! Just what I was looking for - a good look at the package itself.

One of the great things about Ronbo's reviews was his taking the time to show you exactly what you were getting via his pictures. Since Ron stopped regular reviews I have missed this.

But WOW - what a great look at the set here. Big THUMBS UP for your approach to this review Adam - it was worth waiting for!

.... And am I the only person who actually likes Fox's fold out packages? I like the extra artwork - I'd take this over the R2 package any day of the week.

Holle

Auditioning
I've heard from someone with a Yamaha RXV-1400 receiver who reported the same problem (it seems)
I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 and by choosing the DTS Soundtrack my receiver could´t decide whether to take DTS or ProLogic II. It jumps back and forth, so that i cannot listen to the soundtrack. I hope the problem is my dvd player and not the receiver. The Rec is a month old and i do not want to exchange him.:frowning:

Kevin_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Adam,

From the review:

"Nowhere in the entire movie is the black, really black. It’s almost black with an olive tone to it. There are a lot of dark scenes in the movie, and not having a solid black, is really disappointing. Resurrection has the worst black levels of the 4 movies."

Do you think the olive looking black is the fault of the transfer or the intention of the filmmakers?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
So, can anyone else confirm the DTS lockups like I had on Disk 1 and 4 yet?
I am also concerned about this, and am remembering the Fox-Moulin Rouge DTS-sync issue (which was never corrected - major thread elsewhere). I don't believe that Fox will be offering replacement discs if there is indeed a problem.

Any other observations?

Cheers,

Roman T

Grip
Here's what the RX-V1400 owner posted in another forum:

The problem with DTS seems to be the receiver.
The DVD player has the DTS indicator on and
it is the receiver which flickers like mad between
DTS and unknown signal.
And if I plug in my old Sony receiver, it decodes
the DTS track with no hesitation.
So, it seems to be just this receiver in combination
with just this DTS track that is causing problems.
Any other DTS, like Alien Resurrection, works fine
on the same receiver...

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The lockup problem on mine (and I imagine Adam's) is definitely not the receiver because all processing is being done by the player.

Roman T

Grip
That would be odd, as Adam owns a Anthem AVM-20 pre/pro..
If you connect the dvd digitally, then you're using the pre/pro's DACs, and bass management etc..

Of course this means Adam can easily check if the problem is in the Denon dts decoder..

Jonathan F

Auditioning
The mixed quality of the new Alien 3 effects has been discussed in another thread (it doesn't offend me personally, at least they're up to the standard of the rest of the film!) but was anyone else bothered by the music editing? It was nice to hear extended and previously unaired cues over the new scenes, but the changes to the pace of the finale resulted in some sorry mangling of that last 'Adagio' piece.

Holle

Auditioning
So, i tried many different dvd players, but the problem stays at it is. The one that is causing my problem is definetely the Yamaha RX-V1400. What a shame. You spend about $800 on the rec and what you get is a product that fails on playing simple DTS on Alien. I´ll write an email to Yamaha to let them know about the problem, but i´m really disappointed.:frowning:

StevenFC

Second Unit
I'm surprised to see myself type this, but I don't think I'll be picking this one up. I simply hated Resurrection. It left a bad taste in my mouth for this worn out franchise. It should have ended with the trilogy.

I think I'll wait until January and get the first three and call it good. I can live without the extra bonus disc. If it was cheaper I might consider buying the set. I realize that seventy-five bucks is a good price, but it's not a good price when you're trying to find the money to buy Christmas presents for other people.

HankM

Second Unit
I watched Alien tonight and I had 3 DTS drop-outs. The drop-outs did not occur in any new scenes, I watched the director's cut version. My dvd player is a Panny RP-91 and my receiver is a Denon 5700.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks