What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: "28 Days Later" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes indeedy, there was plenty of edge enhancement visible on the theatrical print I saw as well. Lots of it. We can't blame it on the DVD authoring process THIS time.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
I think what I am going to do, is make sure that I get to the theaters for EVERY Fox release, that way if I get the DVD, I have something to compare it to.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
It's unlikely this was "filmed" at PAL-speed as it was made for theatrical release.
Actually, you'd be dead (no pun intended) wrong with such an assumption. Here's why...

From a general DV “filmmaking” standpoint with intent to blow up to film, it is generally easier to shoot PAL 25fps instead of NTSC 30fps, not only for the slightly better resolution benefit, but also because you'd be dealing with one frame difference instead of six when taking it to film (or rather five and a bit frames given NTSC is in fact 29.98fps and we just round it up). It makes things far less complicated in post-production. Even DV filmmakers in NTSC territories often favour shooting PAL and then going to film for these very reasons. It’s just common sense…

I didn't see the movie, but given 28 Days Later is a UK production, I'd say it's very likely it was shot PAL DV at 25fps as it's just the sensible way to do things if one is going to shoot DV and then go to film. This of course means the audio pitch will decrease by around 4% on the theatrical 24fps presentations. My guess is only the dialogue is affected by this, and that music and the final surround mix was all conformed for 24fps and this may account for why the DVD comes from a film source, and not directly from the digital masters along with the fact the feature also had some minor scenes shot on film.

Dan (UK)

Francis Yee Loy

Auditioning
I believe that the mystery "radical" storyboarded ending is located on the second page of the alternative endings menu. Check it to make sure.

I don't think people should let the intentional video picture quality deter them from watching this fun little movie...it's one of the more entertaining releases of the year!

Francis
:)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Well, if I have to watch one more horror movie where folks disregard perfectly good weaponry in favor of running away at slow speed from slower shambling critters who manage to catch up anyway, I'm gonna scream.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let me just say this....

I don't particularly like Zombie movies. Same
old crap done over and over.

I LOVED 28 Days Later

'Nuff Said!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I assume you're not talking about this film. Most of the infected in 28DL are pretty fast on their feet.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Chuck, it sounds like you are talking about my other review for Wrong Turn. The "Infected" in 28 Days Later move VERY quickly. Frighteningly fast! That is part of what makes them so scary!

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Any idea where to find the 3rd Alternate ending? I found the "chicken" one, the storyboarded one but that's it...
I liked 99% of the movie until the 2nd

28 days later insert. Aaaaaaawful ending, the movie was downbeat til then and it closes with a scene taken from "Little House on the prairie"
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Cheers,

Vincent

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
One must remember that the "infected" in "28 Days Later" are NOT dead so therefore do not qualify as zombies. They move fast because there is no physical deterioration of the limbs as there would be if they were dead and came back to life.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
The case for 28 days later advertises 3 alternative endings, however, only two are in the menu for alternative endings. Simply push the up arrow and the cursor will disappear upward, then a 3rd radical alternative ending menu appears. This is a narrated storyboard ending with the writers/directors of the film. Very well done actually. All in all, a nice tense scare movie. I love Brit movies!

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Just got done watching this bad boy and was thankful to see the bleak ending which to my taste is the only one consistent with the tone of the film. An excellent movie and DVD!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I had heard much about this film, and it had gotten me interested. After reading a few reviews, I think I'm going to pick this up.

Great review Adam...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've had the R2 version for a while. I did not think that this film was anything special, just average. Besides, it is a rip-off of Romero's "The Crazies" IMHO.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
The 3rd Alternate ending is on the second alternate ending page (Click the little arrow, or the More button), and it's only a commentary track, no video.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
As far as the third alt. ending is concerned. Tell me if this is right 'cause how to get to that third ending has me a little confused

Theratre ending: ...28 days later JIm wakes up and then jet flys over with the suvivers waving at it...

Alternate ending: ...Selena is talking to a chicken

Radical ending 1: the storyboards with dialouge.

Radical ending 2: Jim is shot they rush to a hospital but Jim dies anyway. movie ends with doors closing on the girls as they leave the hospital.

I am able to get to this second radical ending by clicking on alternate ending then when the curser moves to "comentary off" clicking twice.

Is that the way everyone else is getting to it?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I got my copy of "28 Days Later" last night from FYE after pre-ordering it and got it to my brother's house and noticed that they had given me the FULLSCREEN version. Needless to say I returned it for the WIDESCREEN version. My brother put it in his Sony HTiB and when the movie was started, to my horror, it was playing in FULLSCREEN!! I was pretty mad and looked at the disc and it did indeed say WIDESCREEN on the label of the disc itself. I started questioning my brother about his Sony 5-disc DVD changer and he put in the "We Were Soldiers" DVD and it played in WIDESCREEN. We stopped the disc put in a WIDESCREEN version of another movie and it too played correctly. Well, we ended up watching the movie in fullscreen mode and I was intent on taking the movie back the following day and issuing a loud complaint to the store manager. After the movie was over, and just for grins, I had my brother enter the setup menu on his changer and the video portion of the setup was set to 16x9. Since he has a 4 year old 32" Philips 4:3 TV, I had him set the DVD player to 4:3 Letterbox and lo and behold, "28 Days Later" played in all its WIDESCREEN glory. I breathed a sigh of relief. Anyone had this happen to him/her before?

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I thought the alternate "theatrical" ending was excellent. The film would have been much better if they went with that instead.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
I think I remember reading they changed it due to negative response from test audiences.I agree it is better,but the ending they finally went with is kinda clever so I'm not too disapointed.Anyone remember a Br. film called The Day of the Triffids?This reminded me strongly of that along with Omega Man and Romero's films of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks