What's new

HTF Contest: Win an Epson HC 8700 1080P projector courtesy of Epson and ProjectorPeople.com! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Michael Martin
I would definitely watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade with my wife and son. After finishing lunch, we would settle in and watch Buddy the elf in Elf and then get ready for the hijinks of Christmas Vacation with the Griswolds.

Once upon a time there was a boy and a girl. They loved to go to movies. At work they would talk about movies. One day, the boy asked the girl to go to a movie. She said yes. Over Zorro and Les Miserable, they fell in love. They got married. They went to more movies. Then one day, the boy and the girl had a baby. Their love (and the volume at which the baby cried at the movies) eclipsed movies and their theater going days were over. They watched some movies at home but it wasn't quite the same. After the second baby, the man decided it was time to mesh his two worlds and he started to build a man cave. In between feedings, diaper changes and "wife breaks" (is it more accurate to say perhaps break downs?), he slowly built the cave. Two by fours turned into sheetrock. Bare walls were coated with brown paint, and one day - carpet. But the man cave sits. Christmas is coming and the boy's boy wants a train. The girl's girl would like dress ups. The boy, whose goal it was to watch Toy Story 3 with the kiddies and The Lord of the Rings (the girls favorite movie of all time) once the wee ones were in bed, would have to wait. Or would it?????? Only you know the ending to this tale.

Jim Harris

Auditioning
I have been going through all the tapes and photos of my children. As an older dad, it is important to continually share these memories with my children. I would fire up that bad boy in the my theater, and gather the family for a great trip through memory lane. Then put on Shrek for some laughs. Man time flies the older you get.

DMC12

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Cosgrove
If I were to win this contest and be awarded the projector, it would be put to good use with my family on Thanksgiving. My mom recently had a collection of 8mm film reels from her parents converted into a digital format. Many of these films have not been seen in many, many years, and when they have it has mostly been my mom and I. I think it would be great to show them with everyone when we get together for Thanksgiving.

Along with the 8mm converted reels, there are many different family home videos that would be great to show on a big screen and share with everyone. I am also in the process of converting and scanning old picture slides to digital images for my family. I think it would be great to put them into a slide show and show them to the family for the first time on the projector.

Along with the family nostalgia, my family has a tradition now of having enormous Just Dance competitions on the Wii, which I think would just add to the fun with having a bigger screen to get more into the groove. It would be an item that my family and I would use regularly as we all get together quite often.

Lastly, thanks for the contest and thanks for the great site!

Well to start off with I'll have to DVR the Football games on Thanksgiving because I won't be with my family, I'll be at work. So, on Friday I'll watch one football game, then probably Braveheart, then another football game, then finally a Christmas movie with the family to get ready for the holiday season, most likely "Elf", their favorite!! Thanks for the great contest!

JasonSZ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
As I already have a home theater set up at my home and we have currently lost our projecter and do not have the money to replace it. If I was to win the Epson projector the first thing I would do after Thanksgiving dinner is sit in my home theater watching football with my family and friends, as my girlfriend is doing the dishes and clean up from a wonderful dinner. After we are done watching the game I would then play xbox 360 with my boys playing rock band, shaking the house. There after my girlfriend, my boys and I would sit down and watch the movie A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey in it.

ltlwet20

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
Roald Dahl was a favorite author of mine when I was growing up. He truly articulated what a child's imagination could create and I think Wes Anderson's translation of Fantastic Mr. Fox is a great adaptation of his book. The film has so many details within it's screenplay and it's look. It has become one of my all time favorite movies, next to Goodfellas. I never got the chance to see it theaters because I had recently become a father, which left zero time for anything else. As soon as the movie was available to home audiences I watched it with my wife. We were both absolutely amazed by the overall quality of the film. A few weeks later I purchased it on blu ray and as of now it is the movie I have replayed the most out of my library.

I wanted to share the film with as many people as I could so I told all my friends about it and then I took advantage of the fact that I'm a Spanish teacher and used the excuse to show it in Spanish to my students, who also enjoyed it, to full fill my obsession with the movie. I then shared the movie with my family, who only speak Spanish, and to my surprise the movie received an overwhelming positive response with them.

Without a doubt if I were given the chance I would showcase Fantastic Mr. Fox to my in-laws, who always have a huge thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure every one would appreciate the projector and film as much as I do.

gtoast99

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
My wife has already made it perfectly clear that the very first thing we watch on our first projector will be her favorite movie ever – our wedding video! I can’t say it’s a bad flick to break in the home theater . After that, we’ll snuggle up with some T-day seconds and watch another of our favorite movies, Moulin Rouge. I’m sure that movie has enough color and over-the-top style to show off what this awesome projector can really do. Plus, it’s a great love story that we can enjoy together, and be thankful for each others company, the years we’ve spent together, and the many more happy years to come. Because after all, a home theater isn’t just about having a big screen – it’s a shared experience with your friends and loved ones.

me and my husband love lord of the rings so we'll be watching the entire trilogy thankgiving day, i can only imagine seeing that on the big screen. Woah!

Adri17

Auditioning
Real Name
Lisa Grillo
I love nature and have a good time taking little footage of squirrels running away from my garden with a fruit in their mouths. I love my cat who roams around the backyard waiting for her boyfriend Romeo. I also enjoy times we have during outings. So basically, it is mostly for the surprise shots and outings that I capture scenes to look at afterwards. An Epson HC 8700 would be great love the easy maintenance part, lol. HD-ColorReproduction-Energy-efficient E-TORL lamp which lasts and lasts! I would never get tired of watching my amateur videos over and over again.

JessiGucci

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessica Di Tomasso
I love my Mom with all of her very very serious Italian traditions. I want to be able to watch her cook, bake and explain the how to's of all her long list of great recipes. Just to be able to have it in my library for whenever I need to cook up a storm to impress someone. Would to with the Epson HC 8700 projector.

DavePaq

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Paquette
Although I am a member of HTF and have been fascinated with reading and learning about creating the ultimate movie experience at home, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that my home theater consists of a Blu-ray player and a 27-inch TV. It would be amazing to know first-hand what my fellow members have been writing about and to then share my own experiences with them!

I would love to be able to sit down with my mom on Thanksgiving night and watch the new Blu-ray release of "The Sound of Music!" My parents introduced me to the film when it was re-released in 1973, and over the years it has remained a family favorite, especially around the holidays.
Shortly before my dad passed in 1994 a theater in Boston was showing a restored print of the film. As an adult I wanted to create a new memory of seeing it in a movie theater with my parents one last time. We headed into the city for the special screening but, unfortunately, we ran into one of the worst traffic jams I have ever seen. Needless to say, we did not get to our destination. For years that simple pleasure which eluded us that day has stuck with me.

It would be a truly unforgettable experience for my mother and me to watch "The Sound of Music" at home and back on the big screen where it belongs!

CassiSadie

Auditioning
Real Name
Cassandra
I love to travel and would love to win an Epson HC 8700 projector to be able to watch the videos with friends and family. No one has a projector as of yet but we do talk about owning one so that we share some memorable moments together. Just like my trip with my parents to British Columbia and Alberta. We loved it and want to watch it over and over again.

Craig W

Second Unit
The fact is that I already have an Epson ProCinema 1080UB.... BUT we know how each year the new models leap frog last year's 'ancient' model by light years. I would love to win a new Epson 8700 projector so I can 'wax prophetic' about how great Epson's new model is compared to the caveman predecessor from a few years ago and make owners of the 1080UB feel inferior.

I can brag to other members how awesome the contrast ratio and black levels are with the new model. I will go to the threads where 1080UB owners hang out and tell them that unless they are using a 8700UB then they really don't deserve to have a front projection setup. I WILL BECOME AN INTERNET FANBOY for the 8700UB and I will point people to the Projector People to get an 'awesome' deal on one.

And just for fun... I will ressurect HD DVD threads and rub it in that I have 8700UB and that BD looks better compared to HD DVD projected at 100 inches.

And finally I will sell my 1080UB plus its extra bulb for top dollar since it really is a good projector.

Sorry I was Dr. Evil for Halloween. I guess I am still feeling a little evil. So I guess I would be watching the AP trilogy.

Still would like the 8700UB, by the way.

isntlifejuicy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ayesha
Thanksgiving is and always has been about a good ole' time with your family, a huge meal, and than relaxing comatosely in front of the television and watching a good movie. In my families case we have made a tradition out of watching trilogies. Yes you heard it right, trilogies. That is the only stipulation, oh and staying awake. (You don't want to know what pranks we pull if a family member falls asleep) This tradition all began around Lord of the Rings. None of my family had seen any of them, and I loved them so I suggested we rent them ALL. We all stayed up transfixed and everyone is now huge fans of Lord of The Rings. The next year was Jaws, followed by Die Hard, than Shrek, and last year was Indiana Jones. We are currently taking suggestions for this year. Next week we officially vote. This year is even more exciting because I got married and our family size increased. So the projector would be the perfect thing to play this years set of 3. You never know the video of our night just might include some of the notorious pranks we play if someone falls asleep which has happened 4 out of 5 years! This tradition is so special to use because we not only get together for the delicious meal, but we enjoy one another's company, commentary, pranks, and just being together for the entire day!

Fhantom99

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I would go outside, drape the side of my house in white linen, turn my speakers up to 11, and watch THIS IS SPINAL TAP.

Then I would proceed to play Rock Band outside with everyone on the block until the cops come to shut the party down.

HELLO CLEVELAND!!!

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?" ~ Nigel Tufnel

joco123

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Colby
WOW...what a great contest. My fiancee and I have been going to a women and children's homeless shelter in an old church building near downtown Atlanta. There are on average 70 people in the shelter, approx 20 of which are kids. These are people with nothing except what they bring to the shelter. They have had a really hard life and are trying to get help and make the right choices going forward. We will bring them a movie night with popcorn and candy! A lot of these folks have not been to a theater in years, for a lot of the kids they have never had a really fun BIG SCREEN movie night experience. We will also plan to show more movies around christmas, can you imagine the kids faces when they see Jim Carey's performance as the Grinch !!!

Here is a picture of one of the kids at the shelter, precious.

After the Thanksgiving feast, I would set up the projector, get the snacks and sit back to watch home video of Christmas morning 2006, the first Christmas together for my husband and I, and a very memorable occasion indeed. In a marriage, you learn a lot of things over time, and as we’d been married less than a year, I had not yet learned that my husband does not like to be surprised. His brain is just not wired that way – a surprise is lost on him. When it comes to gifts, he needs to know what he’s going to get and then open that very thing. Unfortunately, I was not informed of this little quirk of his back in December of ’06.

As it was our first Christmas together, I wanted it to be special. Brian had requested an X-Box 360, and I nodded as if I understood, but secretly wanted to get him something even better, something that I had really put thought into, to show how much I cared. His birthday falls only 5 days after Christmas, so I did pick up the Xbox as a birthday present, but decided to surprise him with a projector on the 25th. He’d always wanted a projector, but thought we couldn’t afford it. However, I had scrimped and saved and managed to find a second-hand, working projector for sale online. The seller was in the next town over, about an hour’s drive. My friend and I worked up an elaborate scheme to throw him off the trail, and off we drove to buy this projector. I was so excited. I just knew my husband would adore this gift. He had said so many times how much he would love to watch movies on the big screen, and play video games with larger-than-life visuals – this gift was going to show him that not only do I listen to him, but that I really care enough to go the extra mile to get him something great.

Christmas morning couldn’t come fast enough. We were spending the holidays with his family, so I carefully packed the projector and off we went. I was giddy with anticipation, and couldn’t keep from telling his family about the surprise. They were as eager as I was to see his reaction. I waited with baited breath as he began to open each of his presents. His mom and I exchanged a secret smile when he picked up the gift from me – this was the moment!! He unwrapped the box with me on the edge of my seat. Would he leap with joy? Would he squeal with glee? He had just peeled back enough paper to realize what he was holding and.... nothing. He looked at me. He looked at the box. He looked back at me. The silence continued. Clearly, this was not going well. His parents looked away. His sister pretended to be occupied with another gift. His aunt put a gentle hand on my shoulder. Finally, Brian cleared his throat, and to this day he cannot live down the words that came out of his mouth next. After all my effort - the hunting, the sneaking around, the first words he utters are, “Do I still get my Xbox 360?’.

This moment goes down as the worst Christmas morning moment in the Thomas family history. It wasn’t that Brian wasn’t thrilled with the projector, it turned out to be (in his words) the best present he had ever received. It was simply that he can’t handle surprises. And he was really expecting an Xbox. Now, that Xbox has since died (twice!) and the projector ticked on and on until very recently when it finally breathed it’s last. It was old, and it had a good run, showing movies every Friday night. My husband even rearranged the entire living room so that we could have a ‘movie wall’ for the projector to shine on, but I will never let him live down the horror that is saying, after receipt of the most thoughtful gift ever, “Do I still get my Xbox?”. I think a Thanksgiving party where everyone can watch his faux pas on the big screen would be fitting revenge, don’t you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks