What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Wizard of Oz: 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for the clarity! I didn't read the specs closely enough for the Emerald Edition and GWTW is another option! This UCE is a really nice set! The book sounds like a really nice extra!

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
The one scene most people love is the moment Dorothy
opens the door and steps out from her sepia-toned home
into the Technicolor world of Oz. During those first few
moments as the camera pans across Munchkinland, I
thought to myself, "Gee, all of this looks like a small
soundstage with phony plants and man-made river."

I mean, "duh" it is ---- but for me to actually take myself
out of the film and notice how unrealistic Munchkinland
looks right down to the plastic flowers tells me I am seeing
detail I never saw before.

I had a similar opinion when I saw this in the theatres with a true technicolor imbibed print back in '97(?). The image and colors were so gorgeous, it puts any modern print to shame. It was truly amazing. The colors were so vivid, the image was almost 3-D in appearance. The downside is that you could see everything including the obviously fake set. But, I suspect it was fairly obvious even in 1939. Most films in those days were entirely shot on soundstages.

Interesting enough, even the original DVD was detailed enough that I was able to easily see the trap door in Munchkinland for the first time. Oh, how the times have changed with special effects over the years.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Hey guys,Ive recently just got this big ultimate blu- ray boxset of oz .I have 2 questions on the digital copy thing, included in this monster set.First question, it says on the sleeve it expires in september, does that mean it would stop working, or just simply, that people wont be able to install it anymore ?????Last question, after installing it, its obvious its a dvd version.But is it from the latest dvd master, that came out last year??? Im not sure, but it looks like it might be????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks