What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Rock (1 Viewer)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

A-freakin'-men. I am so weary of this mentality here and on other such boards that we readers should be deeply grateful and without constructive criticism of reviews that fundamentally fail to address our needs as readers. I appreciate the time and effort, free of charge, that any reviewer devotes to trying to provide DVD-related information to us, but if their efforts fail to match what their readers (or even a substantial minority of same, which Paul.S and I might represent) are interested in, to what end is the effort? Paul.S and I simply seek to increase the level of excellence in HTF reviewing, and any reviewer who is truly invested in serving his reader base, as opposed to simply delighting in hearing himself prattle on, will appreciatively take heed at what we are trying to recommend, and our reasons for pressing why it is important to us. And ultimately, it's not for any of you to like or agree with what Paul.S and I are suggesting--just the reviewer.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
And now that it's been suggested -- many, many times -- the reviewer can give it due consideration, and it doesn't need to be repeated any further. No need to pursue this portion of the discussion.

M.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
That probably is the phone number. Unfortunately I can't remember the thread I found it on!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Picked this bluray up at Walmart today for $7. Good buy I figured. But this may be one of the cruddiest transfers I've seen in a while. The extras are in terrible condition; the film has numerous pops and artifacts.. I recognize a big part of this is how time changes - when this review was published in '08, it's comparison to a sub-par DVD made it look good. But in comparison to almost any action Bluray, wow does this look bad. The extras are terrible; straight ports from the LD and they look -bad- washed out color, framing issues, artifacts.. This is a guilty pleasure film for me. It's not a great movie, but it's light fun. But it deserved better ;) Still for $7, I can't say I was ripped off, it's worth the $7.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
At least you give passing mention to "time changes." I think the most telling thing about your comments is not about this (IMO very good) BD but rather about some folks' expectations. Especially given the price for which you were able to buy it, I think the disc might best be judged within the context of the time in which it was released not necessarily in comparison to "any [current release] action Blu-ray."

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Are we looking at the same disc? The BD of The Rock was a pretty solid release, transfer wise. I cannot comment on the extras, though. I haven't picked through them much.

What pops and artifacts are you referring to? I suppose that the passage of time makes it easier to spot flaws not noticed on the first viewing, but I know when I last saw it, I was amazed at how detailed it was without any apparent reduction in grain. Another consistent product from Disney.

Take a look at some screenshots:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews10/the_rock_.htm

Nice detail in those faces there.

Incidentally, were there any other Disney titles on sale at Walmart?!? I may force myself to go there.

Originally Posted by mattCR

Picked this bluray up at Walmart today for $7. Good buy I figured. But this may be one of the cruddiest transfers I've seen in a while. The extras are in terrible condition; the film has numerous pops and artifacts.. I recognize a big part of this is how time changes - when this review was published in '08, it's comparison to a sub-par DVD made it look good. But in comparison to almost any action Bluray, wow does this look bad. The extras are terrible; straight ports from the LD and they look -bad- washed out color, framing issues, artifacts.. This is a guilty pleasure film for me. It's not a great movie, but it's light fun. But it deserved better ;) Still for $7, I can't say I was ripped off, it's worth the $7.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks