What's new

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Fifth Element - April Fools (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
:D

Hope you all enjoyed my little attempt at humor...

I had completely *forgotten* that it was April Fools until my roommate TOTALLY GOT ME by telling me that our other housemate was pregnant. I fell for it big-time then she screamed "April Fools!!!"

When I realized it was April First, I marched over to the computer and typed this up...

hehe... :laugh:

Actually, Sony, Disney, and Fox have stated that won't use downresing on analog and allow full and unrestricted 720P/1080I on component. Universal just made the same statement regarding their HD DVD support.

At this time, If I have my facts straight, only Warner is going to be downresing titles via analog component and screwing legacy HDTV viewers. They'll probably make the same choice on both their HD DVD/BD titles...I can't imagine them downresing on one but not the other, though supposedly Blu-ray's watermarking is supposed to provide superior protection even when dubbed via analog...so that may be one reason why so many Blu-ray camp groups are cool with the analog thing.

What the heck...I'm typing serious information in an April Fools thread!

Back to the joke...hehe... :D

Eric F

Screenwriter
How does this compare to some of the better D-Theater tapes?

David, for PCM audio output doesn't the player have discreet outputs for each channel?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

check the *date* that I posted my Blu-ray review and you'll see the answer...

Oops...Edit!

I *had* posted this on April First but I put it in both forums...the software SD and HD forums. When the admins merged it into a single thread here in the HD forum it changed the create date to April 2...

But the *original* post date was April First... ;) :D

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Wow, did I fall for this. Hard.

Good job, DaVid, this was the only April Fools joke that I fell for this year.

JackKay

Second Unit
David, would you please send me that movie. I want to try it out on my Universal Blu-ray/HD-DVD add-on player I bought yesterday for my Xbox 360.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Oh well, so much for that. LOL. I didn't think 5th Element was coming out in Blu-Ray anyways.

Well, David, you know irony is not usually played that straight, that's why I think it caught us all off guard. You should have put thrown some totally outrageous statements in there to clue us in, otherwise you're the only one "in on the joke".

Next time I'll take the time to read more thoroughly.;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Eric...

If you'll look you'll see than in my closing remarks of the review I tell you that it's an April Fool's joke (Jokingly Recommended)...

BTW, the 5th Element *is* an announced Blu-ray release...and the release date I have listed in the specs is the actual release date!

dave :D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You bastert!

The funny thing is, the actual review will probably be word-for-word identical. I've watched some HD broadcasts and h.264 and VC-1 trailers and I wouldn't be surprised. :)

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
There's always an element of sadness to an April Fool's Prank. I mean, yeah, you got us real good with that fake review, David, but it also means that you WEREN'T hand-picked by Sony to be the first-ever BD reviewer for what may potentially turn out to be THE reference disk for the format (anyone who got that film in the early days of DVD knows what I'm talking about). You're no more special than any of us speculators and dreamers. Don't get me wrong, it was convincing, but at the end of the day, you have to go back to your crappy SD DVD player and low-res media.

You're like a penguin who tells his fellow penguins that he is the first to learn to fly. But he's lying. And he's stuck on the ground with the rest of them forever.

But again, great prank. You got me.

Happy April 2,

CS

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Got me too:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I was all ready for my comment and questions and then the punchline. The best one yet especially with the format war, didn't see it coming;.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Tell me about it!

:frowning:

Then again, this summer when Blu-ray is a reality...we can *all fly together*....

:D :D :D

It's one of the reasons I'm so financially stressed right now...I just *have* to get a hold of a Blu-ray player early on so that I *can* write reviews of BD titles...even if I have to buy them and review them after release date!

I'm actually hoping that I can work something out with a nearby shop to loan me a player for reviews until I can afford a decent 2nd-generation machine that has HDMI 1.3.

Ok...so that's my plan! any thoughts on the best way for a broke person like me to to Blu-ray reviews come July let me know!!!

dave :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
You had me at Hello. ;) ...read the entire review with this "dang I might have to jump in sooner than I thought!" feelings...

Good one. :b ...but don't ever do that again! :D

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Me too

I was actually cheering and shouting out loud I was so excited and then.....

That said David it was an awesome prank and really makes me smile

I look forward to your real reviews starting in about 6-8 weeks I guess

Rob

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Shame, shame, shame on you!!!!

I didn't read this till today so there was not even a thought about April fool's. All I could think about was WOW I gotta go get one of these! But at the same time I guess I should thank you for the thousands of dollars the "joke" saved me from spending.

But still...Low man...so low.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
[Jack Bauer voice]Damnit!![/Jack Bauer voice]

I really wanted to know what the uncompressed 5.1 PCM track sounds like. 24/96, omg!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

you and me both!

BTW, I hope everyone realizes that when the Fifth Element *does* appear on blu-ray...yours truly will do his darndest to get it reviewed.

Guys, what do you think about this:

My hope is that we HTF reviewers can all team-up and share the reviewing for Blu-ray titles regardless of studio...maybe the official reviewer getting it first and then the other reviewers who are interested get it later. All reviews can be posted in the original HTF reviewers same thread. That way we could really put Blu-ray through the paces since each reviewer has their own equipment and perspective.

Thoughts?

dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks