What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Combo Pack) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
filmftw1 said:
Strange that the director would do a "James Cameron Move" on the Aspect ratio... but I'm still picking this up.
How is this a Cameron move, his movies have all been released in oar.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by TonyD

Strange that the director would do a "James Cameron Move" on the Aspect ratio... but I'm still picking this up.

How is this a Cameron move, his movies have all been released in oar.[/QUOTE]

That's not true. James Cameron famously released The Abyss in 1.33:1 on laserdisc, and more recently framed Avatar for 2.39:1 in traditional theaters, but 1.78:1 in 3D and on Blu-ray/DVD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The Abys had two separate releases one with the correct and one not. Wasn't avatar released with the IMAX showing, screen ratio?

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alexander
Originally Posted by cafink

That's not true. James Cameron famously released The Abyss in 1.33:1 on laserdisc, and more recently framed Avatar for 2.39:1 in traditional theaters, but 1.78:1 in 3D and on Blu-ray/DVD.

Avatar OAR was 1.78, the 2.35 was extracted for 2D theaters. 1.78 was how it was projected in 3D, Camerons preferred way of seeing the film.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by TonyD

The Abys had two separate releases one with the correct and one not. Wasn't avatar released with the IMAX showing, screen ratio?

I don't understand what you're trying to ask. The point is: Michael Apted approved Dawn Treader's alternate aspect ratio, and preferred it for certain viewing environments, exactly as James Cameron did with The Abyss and Avatar. Jeffrey's "James Cameron" analogy is perfectly apt.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My point is that what you said is not completely correct, The abyss was released on laser with the theatrical ratio and so was Avatar. So Jeffery,s analogy just was wrong and seems like simple Cameron bashing for no reason. Maybe a reference to the guy who directed The Recruit, Roger Donaldson because he did the same thing for the home video release of that film True that Apted adjusted the ratio of Dawn for home video but so what. It isn't the version that was shown in theaters. Storaro crops everything to 2:1 now, is that right because he was the dp?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If by "what you said is not completely correct," you mean "the release & marketing of Dawn Treader does not exactly duplicate that of The Abyss down to every minute detail," then you are correct. Of course, no one has claimed such a thing.

No one was "bashing" Cameron. Frankly, one would have to be deliberately obtuse to read Jeffrey's perfectly innocuous comment that way. Some of us have merely observed that the practice of releasing a film in different aspect ratios depending on the viewing environment is exactly what Cameron has done with some of his films. Yes, The Abyss was released in both ratios. So what? That has no bearing on the fact that the 1.78:1 version of Dawn Treader was created for precisely the same reason as the 1.33:1 version of The Abyss. Both director's have explicitly said that they wanted to create a more "intimate" (they both used that exact word) version for home viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks