What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Bridge on the River Kwai Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

The interval in Kwai occurred just after James Donald's dialogue regarding the wood used for the bridge, and the fact that there are local trees very similar to elm, which has lasted over six hundred years for London Bridge.

"Six hundred years?"

"Yes, sir."

"That would be something..."

That's not where the intermission ocurred when the film was given a 70mm re-release in London back in the '70s. It came after the scene when Alec Guinness leads the sick men from the "hospital" to work on the bridge. It is a very obvious intermission point with the music finishing as the scene fades out. I don;t remember whether that was the same intermission point back in 1957. Having bought the BD when it first came out I've just got round to watching it and remembered that intermission well.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Douglas R

That's not where the intermission ocurred when the film was given a 70mm re-release in London back in the '70s. It came after the scene when Alec Guinness leads the sick men from the "hospital" to work on the bridge. It is a very obvious intermission point with the music finishing as the scene fades out. I don;t remember whether that was the same intermission point back in 1957. Having bought the BD when it first came out I've just got round to watching it and remembered that intermission well.

That's not where it was when I saw a mag 35mm print in about 1964 . It was at the 1 hr 14 min spot after the " elm tree" comments.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas R

Intermission points could have been changed or placed in error, as the tag was a separate piece of film.

The elm location was given me by DL.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Does anyone know why a new Blu of this film is being released on June 7th? Does it have something to do with the error mentioned in this thread?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MLamarre

Does anyone know why a new Blu of this film is being released on June 7th? Does it have something to do with the error mentioned in this thread?

It's a non-digibook release and I seriously doubt the error mentioned will be corrected with this June release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.