What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The African Queen (1 Viewer)

There should be an MPAA logo that is more of an oval and the letters MPAA (seen on any titles of the period. You can google MPAA and see it in the image section.) The one on this transfer is the modern one with the film reel.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The main title overlay selected for this release appears to be that of the late 1960s re-issue here in the Colonies. It is not the original. The (correct) original uses the UK spelling of "colour" as seen in post 18, above. One of the wonderful things about Mr. Spiegel's alternate persona was the "obit" run at the time that he decided to kill him off.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

The main title overlay selected for this release appears to be that of the late 1960s re-issue here in the Colonies. It is not the original. The (correct) original uses the UK spelling of "colour" as seen in post 18, above. One of the wonderful things about Mr. Spiegel's alternate persona was the "obit" run at the time that he decided to kill him off.

RAH
Thanks RAH. I figured it was different due to a later re-issue, but I couldn't find any confirmation of a re-issue here in the states. I didn't think they would recreate the credits for this BR and DVD release.

Crawdaddy

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I'm unaware of any other re-issue, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but the opening title card for the 1968 re-issue in the US credits TRANS-LUX as the presenter, not Horizon.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Jack Theakston

I'm unaware of any other re-issue, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but the opening title card for the 1968 re-issue in the US credits TRANS-LUX as the presenter, not Horizon.
The only theatrical print I've seen had the credits in yellow and the title in a font like the one seen in this capture from a trailer. Your mention of "Trans-Lux" seems to ring a familiar bell, also.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Wasn't this a multi-source restoration? I thought the documentary mentioned something about the original negatives being lost/damaged/destroyed? If so, the UK re-release print appears to have been in better shape to draw footage from for the opening credits.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paynter

Wasn't this a multi-source restoration? I thought the documentary mentioned something about the original negatives being lost/damaged/destroyed? If so, the UK re-release print appears to have been in better shape to draw footage from for the opening credits.
Blurb for the UK release says: "ITV STUDIOS Global Entertainment has partnered with Paramount Pictures to save this great classic and restore it back to its former glory. The Original 35mm three strip camera negatives were scanned at high resolution and digitally recombined using restoration tools to repair tears and scratches, remove dirt and stabilise the picture. The soundtrack underwent full digital audio restoration removing clicks, hum, and other audio defects before creating a new Optical soundtrack negative. The Digital files have been output to a high resolution digital cinema File as well as creating a pristine new combined 35mm negative and an HD master. This is a fine example of how today’s technologies can protect and preserve film both digitally and photo-chemically for the next 100 years and beyond. The film is expected to be re-released in UK Cinemas in 2010 both on 35mm prints and digital projection and is available on DVD and Blu-ray to enjoy at home."

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
The only theatrical print I've seen had the credits in yellow and the title in a font like the one seen in this capture from a trailer. Your mention of "Trans-Lux" seems to ring a familiar bell, also.
The Trans-Lux re-issue had WHITE credits, conformed to the same font and style as the original 1951.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm keeping the region 2 DVD (together with the Blu-Ray) for Jack Cardiff's commentary. His commentary is largely anecdotal. I wish it were more technical. Anecdotes don't interest me; they are fine and have their place, but when a cameraman does a commentary, especially a camera man of Cardiff's calibre, and for a classic film of this stature, I wish he would talk about the technical aspect of what we are watching. I want to hear about camera set-ups, lenses and focal lengths, shutter speed and emulsions, lab work and specialty shots, technical challenges and how they're solved. A shame Cardiff's anecdotal commentary wasn't carried over to the Blu-Ray. Ordinarily I don't listen to commentaries, but this is The African Queen.

Director John Sturges recorded a commentary for the laser disc of Bad Day At Black Rock which is the best example of a technical commentary on a classic film I know of. I was hoping for something like that on The African Queen. It just seems like a blown opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks