What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Star Trek (1 Viewer)

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Beginning to feel like I was the only one that went for the Amazon Limited Edition set.

Granted it is pretty pricey but really wanted to have the ship in my collection.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Ed Faver

Jason-I was a bit surprised to see the notice. While Amazon always notifies, it never is as early as this one was. I was HOPING that it might show up a day or two early, but no such luck. I am sure it will be resting comfortably inside my storm door when I get home today.
Thanks Ed. In my situation, I'm also a prime member and I didn't receive a shipping notice until 8pm last night. I was getting really upset when I didn't get any notice all day long but my order status did say "shipping soon". When I got the notice, I quickly checked the tracking on it and low and behold, they shipped it next day air. They guaranteed release day delivery and this time they delivered. (Well, as long as UPS does their part as I'm patiently waiting for them to drive down my driveway) :)
Can't wait to fire it up tonight!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Steelbook version acquired. Partially through the extras and so far they are fantastic. Trek was very fortunate to get JJ Adams to do the reboot.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
UPS just dropped it off by my front door...the box is opened, the case sniifed to appreciate its newness, and it has been warmly embraced, opened, and popped in the player....I'm boldly cranking up the volume, gonna rattle the walls and enjoy what is likely to be my favourite film of the year.

Thanks for the review, Pat!

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs

The badges are a great collector's piece IMO, I pre-ordered that set for $22 or so. But Target has such a good price on their Enterprise toy that holds the discs in the saucer, I'm thinking about picking it up as well. That said, I have no doubt the ship-case will be of the poorest build and quality.

Picked up the Target ship case, and was pleased by the build quality. I think you might be surprised.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Same here, picked up the Target version with the model. Fantastic build quality, much, much better then the fold-out Bumble Bee holder that came with T:RotF.

barryecohen

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry
Saw it in the theater and again last night on Blu-ray.

Great movie both times, and one I'll definitely watch again.

I'd like to add that I bought it at Target, and their limited addition packaging is really pretty cool. The way that the disks store in the circular portion of the Enterprise really works well. I'll be putting the disks into a regular Blu-ray case for shelf storage but the custom case looks good displayed on my shelf.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I also picked it up at Target yesterday because the ship just looked too cool (and I really don't even like the new ship design). Luckily, a buddy is going to take my copy from Amazon off my hands.

I was able to watch the Kelvin opening and a lot of the features. It is a very nice set that looks and sounds great (don't even have a sub and the Kelvin attack was shaking the house).

Although, I have to admit that the smoke-blowing in the Roddenberry feature was almost too much to take.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The cool ship case edition was ringing up at $24.99 at my Target, even though the shelf sign said $29.99.

I had it in my hand, but. . .I just don't have any place to put it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
A fun Star Wars easter egg is found in the movie

at 47:39 or 47:40, you can see R2-D2 quickly flying past on the left side of the screen/Enterprise's bridge in outer space.

Since he's R2-D2, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Picked up the "gift set" that included the 4 Starfleet division badges. (Available at HMV in Canada... didn't know!) Didn't want the Steelbook, and I knew my wife wouldn't want a model of the big E sitting in the living room. (Unlike my office... where there are starships, phasers and various other sci-fi/fantasy props.)

The badges are surprisingly nice quality! Glad to have 'em!

The BD is amazing! The feature is outstanding, and what a treat that damn near ALL of the extras are enjoyable (not to mention HD).

What a great set. So happy to have it!

(Now I gotta run out and get Galaxy Quest.. which I promptly forgot about in the depths of my Trekgasm.) ;)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I have to give major props to the sound design team.
First off, Giacchino's score is so insanely good. The first 12 minutes of the film is such an adventure and is so emotional and then you have the transition into the title with that score... Goosebumps all over.
Then did you catch the original series theme when Kirk, Bones, Uhura, etc board the transport ship to go up into space? It was subtle and updated to current time.
The space battles were just so well done. It's exactly how I would imagine a future space battle would sound. LFE for the warps was spot on perfect. And then the design to blend the sounds so seamlessly to what the viewer was seeing. The camera pans are the viewers eyes. So for example when the Enterprise swooshes by something that should make a noise, the viewer doesn't get that noise until the camera passes by. I noticed that on several occasions.
When I viewed this film at my local IMAX theater, I was of course so involved with the story and the characters that I didn't notice all this at that time.
Now I finally get a chance to appreciate the craft of these talented people.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Southpaw

First off, Giacchino's score is so insanely good.
Yeah, it is. As good as what is onscreen is in the opening prologue, I think it's the music that gives it the boost to knock the sequence out of the park.

I love that Giachinno's scores are different from each other. Star Trek doesn't sound like Lost and Lost doesn't sound like Up and Up doesn't sound like Ratatouille, etc.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Southpaw ). Someone in the other thread also mentioned there was excessive use of lens flare, and I agree to some extent (though that's not a fault of the BD itself).

_Man_

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
The Star Trek movies' sound design never really rose above that of the TV show, until this one.

I'm not 100% satisfied with the sound design--I really really wish they'd kept the TOS red alert klaxon. (Hell, it was even in the trailers!) But I'm probably about 95% of the way there. And I'm just a whiny fanboy, so I should be ignored anyways. ;)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong /forum/thread/294886/htf-blu-ray-review-star-trek/30#post_3630045

Extreme nerd-rant on:

The new Star Trek isn't a prequel. In-universe, it's a divergent timeline where the future (remember, it arrived in the "past" of the TOS) technology from the Narada influenced and changed the progression of technology past what existed in the TOS timeline. Although it should have been made clearer in the movie, it was explained in some of the comics/supplements, which IMO is better than the Star Wars handwave, which only comes from Lucasfilm, that the Empire made tech stagnant.

/Extreme nerd-rant off

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks